DLT's SR Locos - Lord Nelson Craftsman Kit

DLT

• RMweb Premium

There is an operating rod running along the boiler, high up beside the domes (blower valve?) and the supports are right on the boiler-bands.

Trying to work out the spacing of the boiler bands and boiler fittings is a bit of a challenge without a side-on photo, and the Russell drawing doesn't show the twin-dome boiler.

The I had a bit of a "Doh" moment.  Its the same (C3 type) boiler as fitted to the C2X class, and lo-and-behold, the Russell drawing of the C2X DOES show the twin-dome version.

Why didn't I look at that before?

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

I had to share a photo of the loco with a somewhat bizarre colourful boiler.

The markings in the red ink are the positions of boiler bands, the black ink the boiler fittings and the control rod.  Domes etc are sat on blobs of Blue-Tack.

Dave.

1114261032_IMG_1237small.jpg.01f272d5ff4dffc9bf85fcb9cba9ee97.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I had to share a photo of the loco with a somewhat bizarre colourful boiler.

The markings in the red ink are the positions of boiler bands, the black ink the boiler fittings and the control rod.  Domes etc are sat on blobs of Blue-Tack.

Dave.

attachicon.gifIMG_1237 small.jpg

Looking good! Is that red mark behind the smokebox for the drainpipe? If so good to see you've decided to include it!

I assume there's no need to tell you that paint will not take on top of felt pen? 

• RMweb Premium

Coming together slowly, most boiler fittings now done, detailing the cab at the mo.

1702357852_IMG_1240small.jpg.391be32f03177aed99bb5c7db7674ddc.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Awaiting another Gibson order now; for buffers, Westinghouse pipes, and a better set of trailing wheels.  Old style Romfords came with the kit which don't run very well when going bunker first.  They also need better bearings rather than just a couple of slack holes in the frame.

There's also the below-footplate detail to come, the air brakes create a fair bit of pipework.  And there must be an air reservoir somewhere, but I can't see it in the prototype photos.

More updates when there's something to show.

Dave.

Edited by DLT

May I ask where the C2X boiler etch you used came from please? I would like a couple of these locos for my (eventual) railway, and not being overly impressed by DJH  thought I might scratchbuild.....................

Emma

The boiler is from an ACE models kit for the C2X - I have raided it for various bits and bobs so there isn't much of it left now! It is possible you could roll your own for the bother of getting just this part? The domes Dave have are also from the kit. So it is possible you could get these as separate items from ACE. 

Can't say I have knowingly ever seen a completed one of these models - the DJH one is wrong in some places but certainly builds into a good looking loco. 

Can't say I have knowingly ever seen a completed one of these models - the DJH one is wrong in some places but certainly builds into a good looking loco. 

I built one of the DJH kits years ago. The main problems were the loco sitting 2mm too high on the chassis (easily fixed by filing the big cast lump under the footplate off) and the cab roof being too small (it lacked any overlap at the sides). I also replaced the frame spacers with Comet ones (as supplied it was way too narrow, even for OO) and used Gibson coupling rods. I was quite pleased with it. 

I remember your comments on the loco Pete. If it wasn't clear I meant one of the etched ACE kit versions. I get a bit defensive over them despite come criticisms as they do produce locos in 4mm that aren't available elsewhere - even if there are some 'reduced from 7mm' problems here and there!

I remember your comments on the loco Pete. If it wasn't clear I meant one of the etched ACE kit versions. I get a bit defensive over them despite come criticisms as they do produce locos in 4mm that aren't available elsewhere - even if there are some 'reduced from 7mm' problems here and there!

I've yet to try any of ACE's kits, but as you say, they do some interesting locos. I'd rather fancy a J1 or J2 one day, ditto a K.  

• RMweb Premium

Gibson order arrived today, and the first thing I did was fit the trailing wheels.

It was test-run at high speed bunker first on some of the pretty ropey track on Charmouth without derailing on the facing points.

Cheers, Dave.

PS  I had a look at the C2X on the DJH website; and apart from sitting a bit high it looks pretty good.

Interestingly the list of SR loco kits has dwindled to three:  http://www.djhmodelloco.co.uk/sr-kits/

Gibson order arrived today, and the first thing I did was fit the trailing wheels.

It was test-run at high speed bunker first on some of the pretty ropey track on Charmouth without derailing on the facing points.

Cheers, Dave.

PS  I had a look at the C2X on the DJH website; and apart from sitting a bit high it looks pretty good.

Interestingly the list of SR loco kits has dwindled to three:  http://www.djhmodelloco.co.uk/sr-kits/

Not surprising really I know the Moguls​ and S15's were not that good or accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave

I am sorry but I have been absent due to a loft conversion which is still ongoing although painting now.  This looks absolutely stunning, thanks for the tip on making the washout plugs I may have to use that in future.  Did you secure the drill to anything ?

Keep up the great work

All the best
Chris

• RMweb Premium

I used a lightweight cordless drill, holding it on the bench and holding the power on with one hand, the other hand held the needle file.  Not a great method from any point of view, but it worked.

I know I haven't posted for nearly a fortnight, but I am progressing.  There's masses of detail bits to attend to; particularly all the pipework below the footplate, vacuum pipes, injectors, Westinghouse pipes etc, all of which is pretty visible.  

And I haven't got to one of the most ticklish jobs yet,fixing the lamp irons on the bunker rear.

Photos when all done.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

At last some tangible progress to show, and enough to pose the loco on the layout rather than the workbench!

Yet again, most of the bits and pieces of pipework etc are balanced in place, and won't be fixed until after painting.

3393265_P1070220small.jpg.bd14694b29912a4d3b8646a13c08fc9b.jpg

535346531_P1070221small.jpg.f2ae8fb8821bcc3bb291246732ead7b8.jpg

1103081274_P1070222small.jpg.ccf19c82647c6703eedc2eac5d353cd7.jpg

Some closeups to show details etc, all the under-footplate pipework is fixed in place.

I think these photos show what a bruiser this loco is!

1017278912_P1070226small.jpg.bffc6eab5677c7cc54620c707fc7874b.jpg

179737502_P1070227small.jpg.42560b158a79857bdf46af588caab2b1.jpg

This one shows how the handrails are curved around the clack-valves.

1602286462_P1070228small.jpg.9049ed2081cc1a2cc18eb0823b0e9385.jpg

The solid brackets holding the tanks on that we discussed earlier, are solid lumps of plasticard, fabricated and then filed to shape.  Like much of it, they are just perched there for the photos.

Still more bits to fit, tank handrails and lampirons on top, and sandboxes and pipes down below.  Sandpipes may be awkward, as they will have to go on AFTER the brake-rigging.

That's it for now,

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 13

At last some tangible progress to show, and enough to pose the loco on the layout rather than the workbench!

Yet again, most of the bits and pieces of pipework etc are balanced in place, and won't be fixed until after painting.

attachicon.gifP1070221 small.jpg

attachicon.gifP1070222 small.jpg

attachicon.gifP1070220 small.jpg

Some closeups to show details etc, all the under-footplate pipework is fixed in place.

I think these photos show what a bruiser this loco is!

attachicon.gifP1070227 small.jpg

attachicon.gifP1070226 small.jpg

This one shows how the handrails are curved around the clack-valves.

attachicon.gifP1070228 small.jpg

The solid brackets holding the tanks on that we discussed earlier, are solid lumps of plasticard, fabricated and then filed to shape.  Like much of it, they are just perched there for the photos.

Still more bits to fit, tank handrails and lampirons on top, and sandboxes and pipes down below.  Sandpipes may be awkward, as they will have to go on AFTER the brake-rigging.

That's it for now,

Cheers, Dave.

Really looking good Dave

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the comments guys

Lampirons are now fitted, with the exception of the high ones on the front footplate.  These will be a bit vulnerable to damage, so will be added after painting.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Took these photos to get a better look at the latest details, in particular the sandpipes and lampirons:

1969689220_P1070230small.jpg.6279107be0d0185097893335ab65c42c.jpg

115643961_P1070236small.jpg.40dd5dd2d4159bc408916e51520bde08.jpg

Hmmmm, do the sandpipes look a little too hefty?

Edited by DLT
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

They might be slightly. But the bigger problem for me is that all the lovely pipework draws the eye to the infandous Romfords. They're not worthy of you - the crispness and evenness of that bunker rear (and the rest of the build) is way beyond the standard of the wheels. And you're clearly skilled enough to use Gibsons... 

On second thoughts, I suppose you might have a plan for hiding the nut in the wheel centre? Can't remember what you've done on previous builds.