DLT's SR Locos - Lord Nelson Craftsman Kit

DLT

• RMweb Gold

It's not Jidenco as far as I know but a company called  EJ Sharp at least that is what I built my K10 from below.
post-243-0-29948700-1513686663_thumb.jpg

I have no doubt that Dave will make a better job of it than me. I am still trying to locate my copy of the instructions they must be somewhere as I know Dave said they were missing from his kit.

• Like 4

Long ago in the days when I was still modelling Southern, I had a Jidenco K10, but as it was about 20/25 years ago, and I wasn't such a confident soldering constructor I got an old friend, Kevin Trim of Dorset Kits to do the job, a lovely loco since sold on.  :sungum: 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think there's a lot more to this kit than a Jidenco.  I was always told (though I've never handled one myself) that Jidenco were more "parts for the scratchbuilder" than they were "kits" as we think of them. 

Its the same kit that Graham built, but I have to admit I've never heard of EJ Sharp before. 

As for the instructions, I've got one double-sided sheet with a diagram of the loco etchings, and very basic instructions for loco and tender construction.  However there is no diagram of the tender etchings, so I'm convinced there's a bit missing.

Here's a scan of the box lid:

1717019127_K10BoxScansmall.jpg.d31db691f507695c783736cdf6c1a43a.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 2

I think there's a lot more to this kit than a Jidenco.  I was always told (though I've never handled one myself) that Jidenco were more "parts for the scratchbuilder" than they were "kits" as we think of them. 

Its the same kit that Graham built, but I have to admit I've never heard of EJ Sharp before. 

As for the instructions, I've got one double-sided sheet with a diagram of the loco etchings, and very basic instructions for loco and tender construction.  However there is no diagram of the tender etchings, so I'm convinced there's a bit missing.

attachicon.gifK10 Box Scan small.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

DLT

The Jedinco kits were as full as most, requiring wheels, motor and gears + couplings of course, from memory not much in the way of slot and tab, but very nice brass turned parts, whitemetal castings were OK as well. They were just difficult to assemble, hence the word scratch aids were often used

• RMweb Premium

DLT

The Jedinco kits were as full as most, requiring wheels, motor and gears + couplings of course, from memory not much in the way of slot and tab, but very nice brass turned parts, whitemetal castings were OK as well. They were just difficult to assemble, hence the word scratch aids were often used

Thanks John, that clarified things.  I haven't actually had a Jidenco, I was only going on what I had been told.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

E.J.Sharp and Falcon Brass were previous owners of the Jidenco range, certainly the box is typical of the packaging used by Falcon Brass.

Aha, very interesting.  So maybe this IS a Jidenco kit?  Looking at the Falcon Brass website, http://www.falconbrassworks.com/list.php?range=LSWR  they list a K10 kit, LK76, as "currently unavailable", although the etches are available.

Thanks for the info, Dave.

attachicon.gifK10 Box Scan small.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

There was a K10 from a company called LSWR who were located around Early or Lower Early. South of Reading.

• RMweb Premium

The design of the kit appears to be based on the Skinley drawing, so marking out a set of frames should be fairly straightforward.  Comparing the drawing with the stated dimension in the Russell book and in the recent Railway Modeller article has helped with the critical dimensions, like position of axle holes etc.  Then the general shape can be taken from the drawing.

A strip of brass is cut from the end of the sheet and soldered to the sheet double thickness, and then marked out.

1278516135_IMG_2148small.jpg.13f94457224a2d9523baee0bcb1bbbcb.jpg

Next its out with then piercing saw and files.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 8

Hello Dave, l will be watching with lots of interest on how you go about the build, l found the drawing in some paperwork in the cupboard l was clearing out and l thought this looks like a project for 2018, good luck with the build Buddy keep the pictures coming...

• RMweb Premium

After some hacking with a piercing saw, (and breaking several blades) filing to shape and drilling for axle holes, screwed spacers and brake hangers; it looks like this:

575644813_IMG_2152small.jpg.187e4edeaef3ec370e5940053c94b3c1.jpg

The coupling rods are Gibson 9foot, and one was soldered to the chassis as a drilling guide.

Separated and cleaned up, the axle holes still need carefully opening out to fit bearings.

955849071_IMG_2154small.jpg.c2f8467ef88e3dfa568b6a1cad49249d.jpg

Temporarily screwed together, just to see what it looks like!

1370345191_IMG_2157small.jpg.bbc65d20d8800ef6050febe013338604.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Your patience with a fretsaw is as good as the results :)

Not a lot of patience I'm afraid, keep breaking blade as I'm in too much of a hurry.

Hi Dave.

I am surprised you are using screwed spacers. Or are only temporary.

The screwed spacers are temporary, to hold everything in place while the actual spacers are soldered in.  Those spacers have done several locos.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT

• RMweb Premium

I have nothing against screwed spacers, and have used them on several occasions.   I guess I like a permanent soldered chassis, but at times I have soldered the screwed spacers in.

After the Christmas lay-off I am back onh the chassis.  Spacers are being soldered in, and the motor and gearbox are assembled.

Progress photos to follow.  Cheers, Dave.

Please enlighten me as to why screwed spacers are disliked? Several manufacturers used them over the years, indeed Markits still make them.

They don't always give a broad area of support in the way that a flat or L-shaped spacer can. Also, they can occasionally loosen over time.

• RMweb Premium

Permanent L-shape spacers are now soldered in and the screwed spacers removed.

427311605_IMG_2164small.jpg.6f6f13104aba2be0f0244eda98e46832.jpg

1108259839_IMG_2165small.jpg.2db089327a80ad33a60e6b4d93e0f32e.jpg

I have added some outline spring detail.  You just need enough to be able to see the shape through the wheel-spokes, so it doesn't need to be highly detailed. 

921191868_IMG_2160small.jpg.b01ad349e10149859676d24d305eedd9.jpg

1956558423_IMG_2162small.jpg.d84abb2cabbd0a5dc80c020acd6a72d2.jpg

Springs are all made from left over etches.  The straight sections strips of nickel-silver are from the frame of the fret around the gearbox etches. 

The leaf-springs are actually etched balance weights left over from previous kits, like this one:

834238559_IMG_2171small.jpg.d67a083e21411cff35f188e32830b56b.jpg

The reason I have these left-overs is that I prefer to make the wheel balance weights from black Plasticard, as its self-coloured.

Finally, speaking of the gearbox, its a Highlevel Roadrunner+, with a Mashima 1424 motor.

1630151607_IMG_2170small.jpg.1fec656bfa0e29c64cb3284ca591a868.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 12