Wencombe/Kingsbridge Regis/Louville Lane

westerner

• RMweb Premium

Thank you both. I think I agree with you. In fact I think this one may be better still with the light shining through the roof.

attachicon.gifcornishman f5.jpg

Alan, I also agree with GN and Dr G-F. The strong diagonal shadow does it for me, which is less dramatic in the third version.

• RMweb Gold

Now all it needs is a puff or two of cigar smoke to simulate the blue diesel fumes filling the roof space!

I remember Chris Leigh writing about that method in an old Model Railway Constructor annual, with a photo of a 'Western' loco under a similar overall roof. He said that the person 'supplying' the smoke was quite green by the end of the photoshoot due to the need for multiple shots to ensure the right composition and exposure - with the usual question of whether the photos would be usable once processed...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I remember Chris Leigh writing about that method in an old Model Railway Constructor annual, with a photo of a 'Western' loco under a similar overall roof. He said that the person 'supplying' the smoke was quite green by the end of the photoshoot due to the need for multiple shots to ensure the right composition and exposure - with the usual question of whether the photos would be usable once processed...

Dave Walker used to do the same on his Laxford Bridge layout every time a train emerged from the fiddle yard.

• Like 3

I don't seem to have posted anything on here for a week, indeed I don't think I've been in model railway room for more than a couple of minutes at a time. I'll try and get the camera down to Kingsbridge this weekend and see what I can spot.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The next train to arrive is an inter regional express headed by that Grange recently seen at ANTB 15 or so years ago. Burmington Grange

attachicon.gifBur Grange F3.jpg

A popular choice of motive power Alan. ;)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69664-a-nod-to-brent/page-940&do=findComment&comment=2657191

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When I saw Wencombe in RM a couple of years or so ago I thought it was wonderful, and have been meaning to catch up with it on RMweb for some time.  So over the weekend I've had a thoroughly enjoyable journey through the 78 pages of your thread, following the evolution of Wencombe into Kingsbridge Regis.  Wencombe was excellent, but with KR you've stepped up to an altogether different level.  It's richer, deeper, more complex in its atmosphere and detailing.  I love the street scenes, the harbour, the station and train shed, the turntable, and the realistically weathered and detailed stock in all its variety. Fabulous stuff.

It reflects that steam/diesel transition period on the old GW lines so well that it immediately took me back to a 1961 childhood holiday in Totnes, where this 13 year old Mancunian, hitherto a devotee of Stanier and Gresley, saw many of the trains featured on your layout, 'cabbed' a Hall at Kingswear, and experienced a damascene conversion to all things Great Western.

Now a follower.  Keep 'em coming!

Best wishes,

John C.

(Edited to get my age in 1961 right!)

Edited by checkrail
  • Like 4

You are too kind John, and you have shown great stamina in managing to read the whole thread. Many, many thanks for your kind comments.

I have been looking at Stoke Courtney with great admiration.

Edited by westerner

• 2 weeks later...