Wencombe/Kingsbridge Regis/Louville Lane

westerner

No!, some bits may be saved (buildings) if they will fit the new layout. the baseboards will be taken apart and what can be saved will be saved.

That's such a shame, still as long as some bits can be saved for prosperity and used again on a PROPER New BIG project after the Little Cameo one. :sungum:

• Like 1

No!, some bits may be saved (buildings) if they will fit the new layout. the baseboards will be taken apart and what can be saved will be saved.

Westerner -I have just read this part of your thread and like others, I am sad to see this wonderful layout being dismantled. I have really enjoyed the construction journey that you have presented on this thread after we lost Wencombe! So many of the photos showing the evolution of the different aspects of the layout (I particularly liked the harbour/quayside scenes unfolding) and they are inspirational modelling with good lessons for us all.

Not sure of your motivation for change, but I do note the new layout is very different from your recent ones...change is as good as a rest I guess. All the best for this new venture.

regards Andy R

I thought for about 6-9 months about finishing Wencombe before starting Kingsbridge and about the same time about finishing with Kingsbridge which is probably why it has taken me so long to add the final details. But my mind is made up and hopefully being much smaller the new layout will be "played" with much more than Kingsbridge has been and even more than Wencombe was. As you know I am not a loco builder or track builder but a humble RTR layout builder who wanted to "play" trains and perhaps I have found that Kingsbridge isn't as satisfying as I hoped it would be. I do have plenty of experience operating a shed style layout as I have been part of the operating team on my friends Salmon Pastures shed layout for the past 4 or more years and have felt quite happy operating that style of layout. Hence the change. It also gives me a chance to do something more urban which will be a new challenge.

• Like 1

I agree with all of what you say and can see where your coming from. In the final days of Pen, I felt I was just running Trains to take loads of Photos, but with West Shed I enjoyed running in, out, and moving stock about.

Now with Kings Moreton, most of the Locos are off the Layout and therefore I find I'm progressing quicker with Scenics, and enjoying the Build.

BTW I too am a ready to plant man, nowt wrong with that mate.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

As others have said I will be sad to see Kingsbridge Regis go, but in a way that makes the final few photos even more authentic, knowing that they record a lost age, a time now past, just like the real world of green hydraulics and maroon coaches. There are only so many photos for us to see, but just like the photos of the real thing we can return and savour them over and over, like leafing through the pages of a well loved Bradford Barton, or one of the many line histories.

And rather like getting to the end of a good book the sadness is offset by the excitement of looking forward to the next volume!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Alan

It is a pity that the terminus type layout hasn't worked out for you. The modelling is superb, but you can have the best looking layout in the world but if operationally you are not enjoying it then there seems little point in carrying on. All I hope that your new venture will be great to operate because we all know it will look good. :sungum: :sungum:

When you have your new layout ready I will try to invite myself to come and have a play being as I have missed both Wencombe and Kingsbridge.

Hi Alan

It is a pity that the terminus type layout hasn't worked out for you. The modelling is superb, but you can have the best looking layout in the world but if operationally you are not enjoying it then there seems little point in carrying on. All I hope that your new venture will be great to operate because we all know it will look good. :sungum: :sungum:

When you have your new layout ready I will try to invite myself to come and have a play being as I have missed both Wencombe and Kingsbridge.

Will you be allowed out of the House after you move to Darkest Lincolnshire mate? hahhaha.

Edited by Andrew P

Alan, I never mind altering/improving/ripping up my layouts.

Usually the next one is always better.

Agree with you about size, that's not all it's more preferable to have it workable-and comfortable to operate.

I think my current/future Port Bredy is about right. For me.

Whatever, I have always enjoyed visiting Kingsbridge Regis and wish you well with the new build.

Edited by john flann

Some great Pics of a very nice layout Alan,

The buildings look spot on, lets hope you can use them one day on another layout. 

All the best on the new build.

Cheers Peter.