Ballast

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Copydex glue sounds a good idea,but seems to be expensive,at least where iv'e looked,if covering a large area.So does anyone know of good reasonable suppler of the gule.Thanks

Tel

Late as I always am, but try http://cgi.ebay.co.u...atchlink:top:en for a half litre, or some smaller quantities in that section.

Bob

That's the Mk. II version he's demonstrating with the slide-out cover over the bottom dispensing slot.

I have the Mk. I without the cover but it still works fine. You just have to be careful when you lift it off the track that's all.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I am going to make a start ballasting my 00 gauge layout soon and have been reading up on the subject in the various magazines, some say to use medium grade while others say to use fine grade, which grade would be best for 00 gauge track and is there one brand which is better than others?

I've been looking at 'Woodland Scenics' ballast and 'Hornby Skalescenics' ballast but I'm unsure which would best suit my needs.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Michael

• RMweb Premium

The ballast you want will depend on the area you are modelling as different areas have different colours of ballast. Most OO gauge ballasts are too large.

HI

Have you looked at C+L Ballast ;Light or dark grey 2mm looks spot on to me and for yards and shed areas Ash ballast is also very good, just a happy customer .

The fist shot is Ash Ballast and second shot is 2mm light grey ballast.

Darren

post-6929-0-37980800-1303072300_thumb.jpg

post-6929-0-36907700-1303073028_thumb.jpg

Hi, :)

Would agree- the type of ballast depends on the location! If just a general area - no probs. My own layout is based on the West Highland and gives the appearance of 'needs to be replaced?' I have used Woodlands Scenics 'fine' and have mixed several colours together as I didn't want to weather ballast too much , but to have a much more natural look. Have a look!

Bill.

post-3775-0-90278000-1303074706_thumb.jpg

post-3775-0-64839500-1303074725_thumb.jpg

Aquarium sand was suggested to me recently for 2mm/n gauge. Anyone tried that?

Ive used aquarium sand to good effect but feel it works better for sidings in oo. May be good for mainlines in n though. Check out my Outon Road layout to see the result. The sidings were ballasted with aquarium sand and the mains with what i think was woodland scenics buff ballast. It looks like stone to me though so dont know.

Cheers

Cav

• 2 weeks later...

Good advice here on top ballast - but what do you use for cinder paths etc?

I'm already using 2mm Woodland Scenics ballast for my 4mm layout to keep the texture "fine"

but this means I need to go even finer for the "ash" areas between tracks.

I've acquired some real smokebox char, but even ground down, I'm finding it far too dark - any ideas?

Regards

Martin

For 2mm woodland scenics if you mix fine and medium woodlands together you can get this from chucksballastsupplies.com in Australia.

I have used this allot and this gives me believable results for my Torre Station model setup.

• 3 weeks later...

A reasonably priced source of Copydex is Homebase.....around £8 for 500ml.

As a cheaper alternative (but basically the same adhesive) people suggest

asking carpet shops/fitters for bulk supply of the latex glue they use.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A cheaper alternative to Copydex (although only available AFAIK in larger quantities) is foam back carper adhesive. I have used F Ball's Styccobond F3 for foam underlay and track and am currently experimenting with the best (quickest and easiest) way to lay ballast with it.

I had to buy 5L of it, but your local carpet fitter may be able to supply a smaller quantity.

Archived