New Farish Mk1s

Modernist

I'm a bit confused about new arrivals showing up on kernow's website. They don't seem to have the Blue riband icon, unless that's an oversight on kernow's part. If they're old stock I don't see why they'd be showing up as new arrivals though. Are they using old stock images? Here's an example

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/31809/374061_Graham_Farish_BR_Mk1_Corridor_Second_SK_Coach_M24911

The picture on Kernow's website (now at least) is certainly the new stock. I think the "Blue Riband" logo is just Bachmann's own marketing term, I haven't really seen many retailers make much of it

You're right to wary though, Bachmann do still have "new stock" and "forthcoming" Mk1s based on the old tooling. All of the BGs and the RUs and RMBs including those still forthcoming are even shown in the pictures on the Farish site looking very old fashioned with the old tooling. Farish RU

As far as I'm aware they haven't announced any new tooling for the BG, GUV or restaurant cars at all yet ...

Thanks Justin. I refer to the lack of blue riband logo as it has been cited in magazine reviews as the indicator you're getting the new tooling. If you're buying from a shop as opposed to online you can see it for yourself on the box. As you say, there will still be models with old tooling arriving in shops, so the blue riband logo is a reassuring sign for a buyer.

I usually buy my stock secondhand but as the old style mk1's are still going for a tenner each I'm tempted to mail order a few of these and have something to be proud of for a change.

A couple of quick questions if I may though;

Does anybody know the region of the running numbers on the maroon coaches? I thought I could make out an 'sc' prefix but that might have been wishful thinking.

Would anybody know if you could remove the nem coupling then turn the bogie the wrong way round? I'm switching to dg couplings and was wondering if these new coaches would be possible to convert on a non-permanent basis by doing this.

Thanks

Rich

Does anybody know the region of the running numbers on the maroon coaches? I thought I could make out an 'sc' prefix but that might have been wishful thinking.

No, mine have an 'M' prefix for midland region.

Would anybody know if you could remove the nem coupling then turn the bogie the wrong way round? I'm switching to dg couplings and was wondering if these new coaches would be possible to convert on a non-permanent basis by doing this.

Possibly, though you'd have to cut the NEM socket off so it would be permanent (the NEM socket is attached to the body not the bogie). A better idea would be to modify the DGs to fit NEM pockets - I'm sure I've seen pictures of this done, but I can't recall where at the moment.

Cheers,

Alan

Hi,

Here? B)

Regards, Gerry.

No actually that's another one :)! Wouldn't work on the Mk1s unfortunately as there is no bolt hole - one piece moulding. The one I'd seen was a straight clip in modification - plugging straight into the standard NEM mount, itself unmodified.

Cheers,

ALan

I had a chance to have a good look at the new mk1s over the weekend. Undoubtedly they are a big improvement over the earlier version with;

* more accurate roof profile (better edge curve down reducing side height),

* superb underframe details,

* door steps included on sole bar,

* far better bogies,

* finer buffers,

* great end details (corridor connections and steps),

* wire water pipes,

* auto closer coupling system,

* all include interior details, etc.

But, unfortunately there are still a number of disappointments that let them down;

* wheels not blackened and left shiney,

* horrible deep trench lines around the doors,

* excessive overscale roof ribs,

* glossier finish to roofs and ends,

* water pipes black (not grey)

* and the glazing thickness obvious and causing prismatic distortion at edges (far more so than on the new version Farish Pulmans).

At least they're not made by Dapol otherwise some people would be.......... ;) :lol:

G.

* wheels not blackened and left shiney,

Not true, the wheels are blackened - though not as much as on the previous Mk1s with their castor wheels. They certainly aren't 'shiney' like the old Poole models as you imply.

I'm very happy with the 17 I've bought already, and am hoping the next few flavours show up soon so all my old Mk1s can be retired to the secondhand market.

Cheers,

Alan

the glazing thickness obvious and causing prismatic distortion at edges (far more so than on the new version Farish Pulmans).

I wonder if the effect is largely hidden by the silver painted frames around the Mk.1 Pullman windows, not present on the standard Mk.1s?

Not true, the wheels are blackened - though not as much as on the previous Mk1s with their castor wheels. They certainly aren't 'shiney' like the old Poole models as you imply.

They certainly were shiney on the green liveried train load samples I saw and very obviously so too. A lot more shiney than those on their stanier coaches. Perhaps there's a lack of consistency in the amount of 'blackening' applied from none to a little.

G.

I tend to agree with Grahame about the overly deep lines around the doors, judging from the pic Alan posted. I prefer the doors on the older model in the pic. The roof ribs, too, are over scale. I've ordered a couple from kernow anyway. Look forward to getting my hands on them.

They certainly were shiney on the green liveried train load samples I saw and very obviously so too. A lot more shiney than those on their stanier coaches. Perhaps there's a lack of consistency in the amount of 'blackening' applied from none to a little.

Well if you don't like it then it's not difficult to fix - quit moaning and get the paintbrush out ! :D

Cheers,

Alan

Well if you don't like it then it's not difficult to fix - quit moaning and get the paintbrush out

Yep, I agree, it's the same fix as for the Dapol Brit contrast screws eh? But it didn't stop you making a big fuss. :lol:

G.

Yep, I agree, it's the same fix as for the Dapol Brit contrast screws eh? But it didn't stop you making a big fuss. :lol:

As you'll note I've corrected all the flaws on my Brit, and await the chance to change those horrid bolts too when I can source something superior (i.e. the Farish spares dept have some of their hex bolts spare...)

Constructive criticism showing ways to fix is good - why don't you table some suggestions of methods of improving models rather than this moaning droning that you like to peddle?! Or is it that you just like bashing Bachmann....:lol:

But this has nowt to do with Mk1s so kindly let's leave the Brit stuff to the Dapol Brit thread.

Cheers,

Alan

The above comments on use of DG couplings are interesting. I have used MBM on the ends of rakes for many years. Easy on older GF stock ~(MK1s and the now obsolete 57footers). As others have said you simply turn the bogie round. Now MBMs would not, as far as I can see, fit into the NEM pockets. So for my new Staniers and also Dapol Greselys, I have glued them on the underside of the NEM pocket. The problems are

a) the height is so badly low that you have to bend the whole thing upwards, which makes operation and final alignment more sensitive.

B) since the NEM pocket tends to move in the vertical plane when the train is in motion, the coupling is more prone to uncouple

Anyone else tried applying MBMs to the newer NEM based couplings?

For now I have all the Mk 1s I need so will not be purchasing any in the immediate future.

Colin

• RMweb Gold

I picked up a Southern Green example from Alton Models today with a view to creating a charter rake. I've got to say that overall these are superb models although the roof ribs are quite prominent as others have already pointed out. Anyway, a few pics so you can make up your own minds:

031110-008a.jpg

031110-018a.jpg

031110-009a.jpg

Tom.

Archived