New Farish Mk1s

Modernist

They said for years they wouldn't do wheels - then did, then they sold out so perhaps sanity will eventually prevail. I've also talked to them about it (even down to the 'so if I wanted 100 pairs) and their line on anything like that is that they sell models not kits or parts.

You can get commonwealths easily enough as a kit but BR1 and B4 are harder (only kit B4 I believe is the 2mm SA one, which could be built with 2mm SA N gauge wheels I assume)

Alan

-> acg5324

B1 bogies on the TPO Blue Grey? Weird... when I asked whether B4s would be produced for Blue Greys, BachFar stated that the B4s were being developed precisely for the TPOs. And I'm sure I'm not alone in estimating that the market is bigger for B4s than B1s.

The 80300-18 sorting vans were built with BR2 bogies (heavy duty BR1, in effect) and largely retained them, apart from 80303, 8, 9, 14, 16 & 18 which received replacement B5 (heavy duty B4) in the 1980s. So BR1 are near enough for most of these 'large window' TPO Sorting vans, even late on.

Hiya

NEM Microtrains is nay at the moment, but Bachmann are developing one, can't remember if MT said they'd look into it or not? I have found a short and a long Rapido give a virtually touching corridor, and it opens out lovely on 9in curves. It's so dark down there, the Rapido ain't too noticable, so long as shunting isn't the aim.

cheers

jo

• RMweb Premium

The 80300-18 sorting vans were built with BR2 bogies (heavy duty BR1, in effect) and largely retained them, apart from 80303, 8, 9, 14, 16 & 18 which received replacement B5 (heavy duty B4) in the 1980s. So BR1 are near enough for most of these 'large window' TPO Sorting vans, even late on.

You are quite correct my 1983/4 ABC coaching stock book shows 80300-18 all on B2's.and all still vacumn braked only. All later batches on B5's.....should have checked that before swopping the bogies. Still easy enough to swop them back.

I can see why Farish did the early type, but the 'small window' types (all with B5 bogies) were more common so I can quite understand why you associated the bogie type with the vehicles. I suppose it shows that Farish did some research; I trust the one they did do with B4 (for B5) bogies was one of the rebogied examples.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi there,

Can anyone advise which of the new Bachfar Mk I's are currently available (am primarily interested in Blue/Grey) as some of the photos on Hattons website are not very detailed and I don't want to order a rake and find I have a mix of old and new Mk I's - I presume there must be a lot of the older type still kicking around in stores.

Grateful if anyone can clarify a little further - TIA.

Pete

Hi there,

Can anyone advise which of the new Bachfar Mk I's are currently available (am primarily interested in Blue/Grey) as some of the photos on Hattons website are not very detailed and I don't want to order a rake and find I have a mix of old and new Mk I's - I presume there must be a lot of the older type still kicking around in stores.

Pete

As far as I can tell, the new ones are: Second Open (SO), Corridor Second (SK), Corridor Brake Second (BSK), Corridor Composite (CK).

Hi there,

Pete

On the Blue and Grey front you'll be looking for these product codes:

• 374-013: Blue and Grey Standard Open (SO)
  • 374-062: Blue and Grey Standard Corridor (SK)
  • 374-188: Blue and Grey Brake Standard Corridor (BSK)
  • 374-258: Blue and Grey Composite Corridor (CK)

Those are the new models, things like the restaurant coaches and full brakes are still the old models.

(Also apologies if i've got the coach description codes slightly wrong! But the product codes themselves are definitely right!)

Thanks SC and RWJP - Even the Bachfar website seems to say some of those are unavailable whilst Hattons say some are available :blink:

Unavailable as in not released yet? or unavailable as in BachFar don't have any themselves?

If it's the second, it's quite possible they've sold the entire first run to retailers, so the only stock is available through the retailers.

• RMweb Gold

Not sure - but that sort of makes sense though - time to get an order off to Hattons I think.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: After looking again, I am guessing the £16 price tag as opposed to the £11 one might be a good guide too....Doh :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Agreed about the quality - received my blue grey SK, CK and SO the other day and they really knock the socks off the older ones...if they rework all the earlier rolling stock (class 25 etc) to the same standard then my credit card is going to suffer.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of Bachmann's announcements for their 2011 range.

IIRC the 4mm range started with the four vehicles that are currently available in 2mm and then expanded into the range we see today - I'd certainly wager that the BCK, FK, BG, GUV, RMB, RU and RFO are likely to follow along. What would be really nice if both ranges were extended further to cover the last few unmodelled vehicles like the BSO (Enparts livery anyone?) and some of the other postal vehicles to go with the TPO, although I've got a feeling that might be asking a little too much.

Pix

While I go with a BG, GUV, RMB and FK why go for the RFO yet again? They only made 10 and were gone in the 70's - the last shape FO (3 doors, 6 full bays) covers a much greater range and for models over the last 30 years you justify a train load of them!

I would agree going for the BSO over the BCK but also go for the RB over the RU which looks silly in IC livery and isn't much use in B/G!

While I go with a BG, GUV, RMB and FK why go for the RFO yet again? They only made 10 and were gone in the 70's - the last shape FO (3 doors, 6 full bays) covers a much greater range and for models over the last 30 years you justify a train load of them!

I agree that the dia.73 FO is a much more useful vehicle, however, I suspect they may save money by using the same tooling as the FK compartment side twice; that seems to be what they did on 00. Ironically you'd need the BCKs to go with them for the INTERCITY Charter rake.

I agree that the dia.73 FO is a much more useful vehicle, however, I suspect they may save money by using the same tooling as the FK compartment side twice; that seems to be what they did on 00. Ironically you'd need the BCKs to go with them for the INTERCITY Charter rake.

The only two times I travelled on the INTERCITY MK1 FO rake we had a Mk1 BFK (17015 I think), the converted BCKs were introduced about 1989 AFAIR.

its nice to see the coaches being upgraded to the blueriband standard at last, looking back through all the passed incarantions in the stock racks i'm amazed we were ever happy with what was produced.

i'm still puzzling as to where all the bits in the bits bag go, i must be getting old as i cant even tell what the smallest items actualy are let alone where they need to go?! A diagram on would have been nice.

The only two times I travelled on the INTERCITY MK1 FO rake we had a Mk1 BFK (17015 I think), the converted BCKs were introduced about 1989 AFAIR.

I somehow doubt they'll ever do a Mk.1 BFK, but the BCK is probable, at least. Sadly the later FOs are as unlikely as the BFK!

Archived