67A

Hi,

Having followed many a topic and enjoyed the content of RMweb for some time I thought it was about time I put something on myself. So here it is, my latest creation in its conception stage.

Bermuda Road Motive Power Depot is a fictional location and depicts a steam era depot in the closing years of steam in the north west of England - somewhere - Its location benefits from the joint running powers and stock from the London Midland and Eastern/North Eastern regions. Its name derives from the track plan which utilises a triangle for locomotive turning as opposed to a turntable found at most depots (see attached plan courtesy of Mike Cole.) The depot is a four road North Light building common to ex:LNWR locations as is the coaling stage, a small loading stage is located within the depot yard for the unloading of stores to add operational interest.

To add interest and ensure longevity of the site a new Traction Maintenance Depot has been constructed upon an old unused sidings area to service and maintain the growing fleet of early diesel classes now appearing on the BR network. The TMD hosts a two road maintenance building with adjacent fuelling point. It is intended to fully detail the interior of the depot building as time permits.

These first few images show the the basic concept and construction underway, all trackwork is now laid and wired to two control panels and the mundane task of ballasting is the current task combined with a few scenic operations to relieve the inevetable boredom. I have used PECO Code 75 Electrofrog throughout apart from the sections over the baseboard joints which have been strengthened by removal of the plastic sleepers and replacing them with PCB copperclad strip as shown. I hope to maintain a regular build program and complete the layout within 12 months. We shall see!

You can also follow the progress at: My link

Ah well, back to the ballasting....

Regards,

post-5296-027865300 1289686444_thumb.jpgpost-5296-008362500 1289686581_thumb.jpgpost-5296-038111200 1289686620_thumb.jpgpost-5296-053546900 1289686641_thumb.jpgpost-5296-083152000 1289686660_thumb.jpgpost-5296-000669300 1289686707_thumb.jpgpost-5296-070016500 1289686733_thumb.jpgpost-5296-077016000 1289686785_thumb.jpgpost-5296-095479300 1289686824_thumb.jpg

Edited by mike61680
  • Like 8

Indeed, looking very good, look forward to following the progress. Could we have a little more info / pictures on the control panels?

Hi,

Control panel is made from hardwood & MDF for the frame with 'Formica' panel face which is thin enough to accept the mini switches. As the layout is plain old DC (can't afford to chip all the loco's or don't want to learn about DCC - take your pick) I have to place several isolated sections in anticipation of the movements expected, I hope they are in the right place. Points are controlled by stud operation affixed to the face of the panel. All wiring is routed to 25 way 'D-sub' connectors which use computer style male/female 25 way cables to attach to the opposite connector on the baseboard.

I will take some picures of the electrics and post them during the week.

Ballasting now completed and just awaiting the drying process, again I will upload some pictures during the week.

Cheers

Mike

Interesting track plan. It's not very often that you see a triangle modeled. I look forward to seeing this develop.

Yes that was the idea, something a little different 'I hope' There will be more than just loco's plying back and forth as the layout develops. Managed to get the ballasting finished yesterday so I can concentrate on some scenic work now.

cheers

mike

Defiantly an unusual track plan. Where do you see people standing to view the layout?

I intend to stand inside the 'U' section and layout will be viewed along the frontage shown at the top of the plan, the r/h side will also 'hopefully' be of interest upon completion, thinking of perhaps a harbour scene but not yet decided.

cheers

Mike.

Here is a few pictures of the inside of the control panel as requested. The controller is a 'MORLEY VECTOR' twin with hand held units (not shown). Really nice operation and has a

capacitor discharge built-in. It normally comes complete with an enclosure but Ted at Morley's adapted it for panel fitting. Thanks Ted.

post-5296-076925600 1289855849_thumb.jpgpost-5296-098960300 1289855970_thumb.jpgpost-5296-011847100 1289856036_thumb.jpgpost-5296-077074100 1289856104_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

wow, that looks fantastic. The ballasting is great, and the quality of the buildings is superb. All scratch built I presume? You haven't got any 'under construction' photos of the buildings have you?

Sorry, I have been scratchbuilding some of the buildings over the past few months and others are originals I built for my other layout (Milne - see gallery and Model Rail 121) this layout is in storage whilst work is underway on the above.

Engine shed was built about 17 years ago with plywood walls and timber roofing beams, roof detail in plasticard, whole building clad in Superquick brick papers, I hope to re-clad in plasticard before taking to an exhibition.

Coaling stage is ply again but with plasticard over, tank is very thick card moulded to shape, I made this for our club layout which has been dismantled so I retrieved it.

Diesel Depot is new and as yet unfinished, main structure is Perspex with Wills sheet cladding, this will have a fully detailed interior when finished.

Fuel point is a Knightwing kit

Fuel tanks are Knightwing parts and general mix of scratchbuilding materials to hopefully achieve an accurate portrayal of the correct fuel storage system used on BR - which is worked on a rotational basis where:

Tank 1 is diesel for dispensing.

Tank 2 is diesel settling to expel air bubbles

Tank 3 is two fold A: Diesel drained from loco's entering depot for more than an 'A exam' to reduce fire risk (this operation causes the air bubbles and B: General refill from wagonload etc.

The tanks are rotated as tank B settles it becomes tank A etc etc.

I will take some detail pictures in future.

Cheers

Mike.

• Like 1

Awesome looking layout so far my preferred era, what manufacturer did you use for the cobbled stone paving around the shed it gives a good effect?

Regards Paul

Hi Paul,

They are Wills Materials sheets, come in packs of 4 approx 80mm x 120mm and thick enough to use without building up with plasticard first, cost just under £3 per pack.

Been building a road overbridge today, will be posting pic's later.

Cheers

Mike

Latest progress, the overbridge at the east end of the yard. post-5296-004333900 1290464599_thumb.jpgpost-5296-069906100 1290464630_thumb.jpgpost-5296-044507200 1290464663_thumb.jpgpost-5296-092722700 1290464681_thumb.jpg

Polystyrene block with foamboard sides and plywood roadway.

MPD road entrance, scratchbult wall with entrance doors from coffee stirring sticks and home made hinges post-5296-084321300 1290464706_thumb.jpgpost-5296-081819500 1290464729_thumb.jpgpost-5296-072675100 1290464743_thumb.jpg

cheers

mike

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I like the gates. Are you going to leave these open or closed when on display or are these going to be motorised so you can open and close them at will during the day?

• RMweb Premium

Nice gates. I have just used my sticks (ex Donny Platform 3 refreshment room) for mixing glue, stirring paint and protecting my fingers whilst soldering some stuff. Just shows how little imagination remains in my brain cell:huh:

I am enjoying watching you work as this will be an era I love. Also great wewbsite; inspiring for the casual visitor or dedicated modeller.

Well done so far; look forward to watching progress here and through the link - thanks.

36E

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

Thanks re: the gates. They will probably be left in the open position with perhaps a Scammell Scarab pulling in/out, time will tell eh!

cheers

mike

Maybe you could have a large party of enthusiasts decanting from a suitable vehicle and heading through the gate with a Foreman character rushing towards them.:rolleyes: I've not seen that modelled before. You could have fun getting them decked out in appropriate garb for the era!

Meanwhile there could be a single 'spotter' sneaking round the back through a fence whilst the Foreman is otherwise engaged?

36E