spackz

Dapol Class 21/29

info I got from Dapol 14/11, “The Class 21’s are on the ship and should be here first or second week of December. The Class 29’s are going through QC now and will be a few weeks later.”

I took a couple with my camera phone at Warley on Saturday. There was such a scrum that I wasn’t able to hang around with my son in tow. To my eye they appeal, even if I model the western region! 

49123247148_32e21a63a6_b.jpg

49123931032_3680f43d8a_b.jpg

Sorry the lighting was rubbish, so photos appear dark. 

cheers Peter

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

OK then; who’s gonna be first to hack a pair into D6123..? :)

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

29 minutes ago, Mad McCann said:

OK then; who’s gonna be first to hack a pair into D6123..? :)

The left over parts could make D6109, the only 21 to get headcode boxes and BR blue livery.....but it did have a few other 29 specific mods too. :good_mini:

Not quite the methodology I was thinking of, but might hack my Bachby 2 tone green one into 6123 and get a standard Dapol 29 to replace it.....

• Like 1

On 25/11/2019 at 15:36, G&A Track said:

info I got from Dapol 14/11, “The Class 21’s are on the ship and should be here first or second week of December. The Class 29’s are going through QC now and will be a few weeks later.”

Any further sign of those 21s yet? Will they make Xmas I wonder?

• Like 1

Kernow Models have added the Class 21's to their new arrivals list, although not actually in stock, so probably imminent.

• Thanks 1

Hattons have emailed to say they are expected in stock tomorrow, don't know how quick they will get them out though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, G&A Track said:

Dapol just updated their facebook page Class 21's now on there way to all good Dapol Stockist.

Has anyone heard a demo of the sound fitted version?

• Like 1

Looks like the 001, 002 and 003 versions are in stock with the 004 following in Jan/Feb 2020, not sure about the sound versions as the sound chips are normally installed by Dapol at their factory.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Do all the green SYP Class 21 models have eyebrows? I'm modelling D6137, which is without eyebrows, and trying to find a suitable base model. However, it's hard to tell from the Rails website as none of the photos match the descriptions. Are there any other differences to be aware of between the SYP batches modelled? Or will I just have to remove the eyebrows?

Thanks! 

Edited by Daddyman

Now showing as in stock at Hattons. My order for 003 BR green syp has been processed.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 18/12/2019 at 18:14, thegreenhowards said:

I haven't heard the factory sound but as it will be generic as there's no surviving loco, I have had a go at it using a similar spec German loco (much like people did for the 22 and 41) here's what it sounds like.

Richard

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 19/12/2019 at 02:14, thegreenhowards said:

I would also be interested in hearing the Dapol fitted sound. Richard's example certainly sounds very good. 

Mark

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sails said:

I would also be interested in hearing the Dapol fitted sound. Richard's example certainly sounds very good. 

Mark

Id like to hear it too, I think it’ll be mr sound guy on a zimo decoder. I have one of his decoders in my 05 and it’s good.

Richard

• Informative/Useful 1

Well it's been 9 years of waiting but thanks to excellent service from hattons I now have what I think will be the first of many class 21s waiting to go through the works for detailing and weathering

20191220_164256.jpg

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just a quick question. Is an easy way to tell if a loco has been converted to a 29 , the presence of 4 digit headcode?   Fancy a loco but want a disc  version not one with a headcode , does that mean I restrict myself to a 21 . Did they last long enough to pull blue & grey mk1s ?

Have I missed a history lesson somewhere.

image.png.97c821b976df7acfd265389fd0f20e42.png

Class 21/ Class 29 Diesel HYDRAULIC locomotive.

I thought these were all Diesel Electric

• Funny 6

Guest MM1991
4 minutes ago, Legend said:

Just a quick question. Is an easy way to tell if a loco has been converted to a 29 , the presence of 4 digit headcode?   Fancy a loco but want a disc  version not one with a headcode , does that mean I restrict myself to a 21 . Did they last long enough to pull blue & grey mk1s ?

I believe the Class 29 with discs was D6123, but it had the other Class 29 external modifications - AFAIK.  However the 21's did live long enough to be seen on B/G mk1's

MM

Edited by MM1991

7 minutes ago, D7100 said:

well that’s awkward..........

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MM1991 said:

I believe the Class 29 with discs was D6123, but it had the other Class 29 external modifications - AFAIK.  However the 21's did live long enough to be seen on B/G mk1's

MM

Thanks MM . I’ve been studying George O’Haras excellent book BR Diesel Traction in Scotland and there are lots of pictures . Unfortunately , at least to me, it’s not clear if these were rebuilt or not . Of course if most of these locos without headcodes are actually 21s he wouldn’t see the need to state anything different .  I think a small yellow panel 21 beckons . 

Oh dear on the diesel hydraulic front! 

46 minutes ago, D7100 said:

Gievn that within about ten minutes of a new model arriving someone will identify a boo-boo, if that's the worst thing on this model I can live with it......

• Agree 4

15 minutes ago, Legend said:

I’ve been studying George O’Haras excellent book BR Diesel Traction in Scotland and there are lots of pictures . Unfortunately , at least to me, it’s not clear if these were rebuilt or not . Of course if most of these locos without headcodes are actually 21s he wouldn’t see the need to state anything different 

In the simplest of terms, if its two tone green or blue it's a 29, if its just BR green it's a 21.  Only 21 to lose the plain green was D6109 for blue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1