The Penguins workbench - Trans Pennine transformation part 3

Hi Sean,

The cab looks very good to me. You have done wonders with it. Having to add layers of plastic to bring it up to the correct height was a challenge successfully completed. Does this mean that the unit can now be completed?

All the best,

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Colin.

Kind words from a man of your skills. The sides are some way off yet I think as I've just had an email from PHD about window dimensions, so still at the design stage.

I'm just doing the cabs as a fill in at the moment whilst I get the Crab finished. I like to try to be disciplined and finish one project before commencing the next. When the project only consists of one loco, such as the Crab, it leaves handy gaps for small jobs like this one. Next week I intend to fill in time with some 3 link couplings for my very small, but lovely weathered wagon collection.

Cheers.

Sean.

You _COULD_ have taken the Colin route - like the 4CIG.

Very interested to see how TP No3 turns out.

Some interesting other DMU's too I have always had a soft spot for 103's...

My wish when I win the lottery (note to self start doing the lottery!) Would be to model in representative numbers the full variety of Chester late 70's early 80's

Then move over to Allerton, then other NW depots....

Try looking at www.worsleyworks.co.uk

He has done some 123 etched sides for me in 4mm before.

Hi Sean,

Just consider that pic I sent you with the two 9f's at Edge Hill!

Dont think you need bother with that lining, filth......neat job though with the kit.

Don't worry Ian.

I will be seeing Eric and Gripper, (of this parish), next weekend and if I get my way, he'll be working his weathering magic on it.

Given I model 1965 - 1968, and this one was withdrawn at the end of 1966 (I think), she'll need a liberal coating of muck and grime.

Cheers.

Sean.

"I know it's beneath the muck....."

It will be .......!

Fine work on this custacean matey. I really like this...hard to say about another companies engine,but you have captured her well,

Perhaps a Mucky Duck next ?plenty of them in farve & narn land (more room for weathering too)

Best regards, see you soon matey

Eric &  festive Gripper

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

March 13th Lee.

It does mean that model railways will have to take a back seat for a while, but I can live with that. I intend to "mothball" the thread in the new year for a period of time, but will be lurking in the background. I don't honestly think I'll get the Trans - Pennine under way between now and then, but who knows. It's my first one, (child, not Trans - Pennine), so I'm not going to presume to know anything about it all.

One might say I'm standing on the precipice......?

;o)

Cheers.

Sean.

Not as much work as you would expcect, they do tend to just sit or lie there, they occasionally need changing or cuddling, but I built a DC 101 DMU with a baby in the house

Not to worry the instructions for children were written by the guy who wrote for Ian Kirk and MTK

So they are more of a scratchbuilt affair, never finished and always need more spending on them.

Whatever, they make you very proud of the time spent on them.

Just don't paint them ! They will weather themselves of course.

The very best of wishes for you and Mrs P.

Eric & Gripper.

As long as it's got ten of some things and two of some other bits, and one of the rest, it should be OK.

If it's a boy your OK you have a train set.

If it's a girl, you have to get a Scaleletric set for her.

Not as much work as you would expcect, they do tend to just sit or lie there, they occasionally need changing or cuddling, but I built a DC 101 DMU with a baby in the house

Agree, I managed to rebuild the new chassis on my 3 Bachmann rats while waiting up to give my daughter her bottle at 11pm. Just make sure you put it all away each time otherwise the little darlings will test the strength of whatever glue you have used.

• RMweb Premium

Now they are all teenagers it is a case of dragging them off the computers/games consoles.

I will admit after a tiring day at work an hour shooting things helps a lot.

None of them are bothered about model railways unfortunately.

The boys still have their trainset and one boy bought a Bachmann 20

• RMweb Premium

just remember that babies do bounce (well, a bit anyway). :jester:

from a dad of 3 little spawns of satan.

ps-use every bit of emotional blackmail you can to get her to breast feed. A good nights sleep is something you will only remember.

My daughter bounced rather well, nearly rolled down the stairs!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a small rake of kit built vans myself, and having checked Paul Bartlett's website, you need to change the 3 kinks on the vans to instantiers or screw couplings. A few did have screws in later life, but being XP rated, they were fitted with instantiers. The only photos on Paul's site with 3 kinks are of departmentals or ones that were unlikely to be used again.

Archived