Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

600mm+ away then it should be acceptable to all but rivet counters

Cheers

Ron

are you sure you don't mean brick counters.

On your callipers try giving the wiper strip a clean with some IPA or meths.

OzzyO.

Nice job up to now.

are you sure you don't mean brick counters.

On your callipers try giving the wiper strip a clean with some IPA or meths.

OzzyO.

Nice job up to now.

Hi,

Brick counters - that would be one way to get rid of rivet counters

With over 220,000 visible bricks on the warehouse alone, that would be pushing even the most b****y-minded counter over the edge

Finally got the calipers up and working again -

Cleaned it & re-fitted battery - NO

Took it apart and put it back together & re-fitted battery - NO

Dropped it & re-fitted battery - YES (must be dry contact somewhere - but at least it's working again)

Cheers

Ron

• Like 4

The top of the wall decoration -

Strips of 1.3mm card cut to make up the stepped cornice stonework  -

1 - 7.5mm wide x 1131mm long

1 - 6.0mm wide x 1128mm long

2 - 5.0mm wide x 1126mm long

post-10633-0-95272400-1371150857_thumb.jpg

Start of stonework paper wrapping

post-10633-0-10352600-1371150801_thumb.jpg

First length of paper fixed, and second length started

• Like 5

What solvent are you useing on this to stick the paper to the plasticard Ron please?

Andy G

Hi, Andy

The cornice is made from mount card strips

The paper is stuck to the mount card strips with Supertite PVA (Thick and quick drying - €2.50 for 500ml from Chinese bazaar) - Normal PVA is too wet and soaks into the paper making it difficult to smooth out when wrapping

The window cills were made from plasticard strip and stuck to the paper/mount card facade with this same PVA

The alternative method which I have employed on other structures where larger styrene items are fixed to mount card, is using EMA Plastic Weld brushed copiously onto the back of the styrene and pressed quickly and firmly to the mount card. Just like when using superglue there is no real margin for error

The window etches were fixed to the rear of the facade which is foamboard (paper faced) using normal superglue (cyanoacrylate) with a pin

The two layers of mount card and the foamboard were laminated with ordinary strength PVA

The brick papers are printed on 135gsm white card and fixed with normal PVA

Of course the beams built from Styrene card and strip and joined with EMA PlasticWeld

Hope this covers all the adhesives used for the various materials employed on this structure, and is of some help to you

Cheers

Ron

Cut the dentil card pieces 3mm x 9.5mm 2off and 3mm x 8.5mm 1off, 120 times, all as per the originals on the South Facade

They didn't come out as expected, must be losing my touch. Have reverted to using 125thou x 125thou styrene strip cut into 9.5mm lengths with a 1mm x 1mm strip cut out of the front bottom edge

post-10633-0-97441000-1371573405_thumb.jpg

First dentil wrapped with brickpaper using PVA - another 119 to go

post-10633-0-55170000-1371573521_thumb.jpg

Brickwork paper detail - each piece is 9.5mm x 9.5mm

• Like 5

I first encountered this topic at its beginning, two years ago. I returned to it during the quiet hours of last night's shift (I work for Network Rail), and can state without doubt that this is the most impressive and ambitious model I've ever seen.

I live 5 minutes walk from Castlefield Viaducts, next to the Ship Canal (I'm a southerner though!) - I flirted with the idea of one day modelling part of it, but as you're doing such a superb job of it, I think I'll try somewhere else! 

Have you given any thought about the layout of the garden section?

A word of warning about your stated ambition to use Code 75 track outside - I've read elsewhere that the finescale track doesn't stand up to the rigours of the real world, and in the heat of Iberia I think that this would be compounded. 

If you want any extra photos, I am happy to try and take some. 

All the best,

Ben West aka "GL" 

I first encountered this topic at its beginning, two years ago. I returned to it during the quiet hours of last night's shift (I work for Network Rail), and can state without doubt that this is the most impressive and ambitious model I've ever seen.

I live 5 minutes walk from Castlefield Viaducts, next to the Ship Canal (I'm a southerner though!) - I flirted with the idea of one day modelling part of it, but as you're doing such a superb job of it, I think I'll try somewhere else! 

Have you given any thought about the layout of the garden section?

A word of warning about your stated ambition to use Code 75 track outside - I've read elsewhere that the finescale track doesn't stand up to the rigours of the real world, and in the heat of Iberia I think that this would be compounded. 

If you want any extra photos, I am happy to try and take some. 

All the best,

Ben West aka "GL" 

Hi, Ben

Thank you for your kind comments - (I'm a Mancunian who lived the last 25 years of my time in the UK in Chelmsford, Essex, and have many friends in the South)

The garden section is likely to be return loops (no fancy trackwork), with a number of bridges,etc. (unrelated to Manchester) -

Down Slow returning as Up Slow

Down Fast returning as Up Fast

Middle to/from Carriage Sidings & Loco Shed (These will be on separate baseboards in the Railway Room)

Thanks for your observations with regard to Code 75. Will obviously be testing the outdoor section trackwork weatherwise, before committing to any specific trackwork materials and build method

I may take up your offer of the odd photo in the near future, as some detail under one of the viaducts is a bit scarce

Cheers

Ron

Ron,

I've just stumbled upon your thread and as yet only working through page 8 but felt I out to add my own half penn'th in saying how enjoyable it is to view such a modelling master class. I've (wrongly) assumed that modelling a prototype could be a bit restrictive but you've got no shortage of subjects to model and not being an engineer nor able to understand let alone work CAD I am in awe. Fabulous craftsmanship and encouragement for me to get back into architectural modelling.

As an aside, having owned a holiday home in The Costa Blanca Spain during the 1990's when walking maps (let alone routes) were rarer than hen's teeth and before I re-discovered cycling I often wondered how one could occupy one's life (outside bars) if retired. I can now see that it is possible but I'm still glad I got out before the crash.

Good luck and I'll catch up on the other 50+ pages and follow your progress.

Dave Shakespeare

Ron,

I've just stumbled upon your thread and as yet only working through page 8 but felt I out to add my own half penn'th in saying how enjoyable it is to view such a modelling master class. I've (wrongly) assumed that modelling a prototype could be a bit restrictive but you've got no shortage of subjects to model and not being an engineer nor able to understand let alone work CAD I am in awe. Fabulous craftsmanship and encouragement for me to get back into architectural modelling.

As an aside, having owned a holiday home in The Costa Blanca Spain during the 1990's when walking maps (let alone routes) were rarer than hen's teeth and before I re-discovered cycling I often wondered how one could occupy one's life (outside bars) if retired. I can now see that it is possible but I'm still glad I got out before the crash.

Good luck and I'll catch up on the other 50+ pages and follow your progress.

Dave Shakespeare

Hi, Dave

Thank you for your kind comments, they are much appreciated, being from such an experienced and talented modeller

Hope your road to recovery is coming on well, and wish you all the very best for the furure

Following all your Tetley Mills modelling posts past and present, hope my modelling can achieve even part of yours - structures and trackwork I find are relatively easy - the detailing/weathering will really be new territory for me, in getting the layout to look as near to lifelike as possible with a model

Being part of a Walking Group gets me away from the modelling table, and provides me with some physical exercise, and an enjoyable outdoor pursuit. Bars are not on my list of must visit places

Hope you don't take the task of catch up too earnestly, there is a lot to take in, and I have still a long way to go

All the very best

Ron

To my shame, I've only just found this thread. But I've spent the last hour absorbed, reading through your meticulous work methods and gazing in awe of your skill. I spent my college years in Manchester and would often go down to Castlefield wharf to watch the flour barges load up, and am familiar with the environs. I will be following this project with great pleasure and anticipation...well done!

Ron,

I don't think my Tetleys Mills and your own project should be mentioned in the same breath, I almost had a relapse whilst viewing your bridges and I haven't even reached the other buildings yet but I sneaked a pre-view of your guillotine and am tempted to make one for my own future modelling. I had already decided to raise my game since seeing Gravy Train / Peter Leyland's plastic structures on my friend Gilbert Barnatt's Peterborough North and then along came Manchester Central with it's lovely cluttered and grotty environment, everything I admire in 1960's railway modelling. I note you almost apologised for having 'only' RTR stock but take heart, modern offerings are better than kit built and you are going to need a fair amount of stock to occupy your station.

I realised you only buy Spanish beer for test purposes and were unlikely to find time to be a bar lizard, (my own Spanish property was in a far more 'low rent' area hence the full bars occupied by alcoholic ex-pats), I envy your walking groups the locals thought my wife and me 'loco' for wanting to walk when we had a perfectly good car and the Spanish army assumed we were dissidents in wanting detailed military maps which were the only suitable walking maps. 

I note comments about code 75 Peco used outdoors I suggest if it is not going to be scenic which would be difficult certainly having set the bar so high in your railway room may I suggest you consider Peco code 100, I have no personal experience of outdoor running but I and many others use code 100 'off scene' in our storage loops, it can actually work out cheaper than code 75 and it is certainly more robust.

I look forward to catching up on the remaining 25 pages and following future posts.

The Ancaster Apprentice.

Edited by tetleys

Ron,

I just have to say - this is an absolutely phenomenal piece of work.  Ambitious, clearly, and executed to a very high standard.  I did encounter these pages some time ago, but wasn't a member of the group, so I was unable to leave my comments.  I intend to return here frequently to follow your progress.

Some years ago, I contemplated taking on a similar project to build a model of Birmingham Snow Hill.  It's well-documented, all the original drawings are at Kew.  My main problem with it is not currently having a space large enough.  The longest platform was 1200 feet long, so there's 4.8 metres of length already, but I reckon it will take 10 metres plus the length of two fiddle yards, and each would have to accommodate a King and 10 coaches.  I was frightened by the complexity of the steelwork in the 'ridge and furrow' overall roof, but having seen what's possible, maybe I will have a go at it if I ever have a 60 foot shed available. ;-)

Andy

The router decided to pack up last Friday Evening. Supplier doesn't have an out-of-hours contact number, so was off-line all weekend. Contacted supplier Monday morning. Carried out a test to check ADSL was OK. Definitely, the router was duff. Picked up the new router this afternoon, and now back online

Progress over weekend -

post-10633-0-21183400-1372179374_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-92947500-1372179434_thumb.jpg

Monday Night's progress -

post-10633-0-92293900-1372179851_thumb.jpg

Should be able to make up and fix another 42 dentils tonight

• Like 8

Ron,

I just have to say - this is an absolutely phenomenal piece of work.  Ambitious, clearly, and executed to a very high standard.  I did encounter these pages some time ago, but wasn't a member of the group, so I was unable to leave my comments.  I intend to return here frequently to follow your progress.

Some years ago, I contemplated taking on a similar project to build a model of Birmingham Snow Hill.  It's well-documented, all the original drawings are at Kew.  My main problem with it is not currently having a space large enough.  The longest platform was 1200 feet long, so there's 4.8 metres of length already, but I reckon it will take 10 metres plus the length of two fiddle yards, and each would have to accommodate a King and 10 coaches.  I was frightened by the complexity of the steelwork in the 'ridge and furrow' overall roof, but having seen what's possible, maybe I will have a go at it if I ever have a 60 foot shed available. ;-)

Andy

Hi, Andy

Thanks for your comments

A 60ft shed is going to eat into your modelling budget somewhat

Cheers

Ron

The router decided to pack up last Friday Evening. Supplier doesn't have an out-of-hours contact number, so was off-line all weekend. Contacted supplier Monday morning. Carried out a test to check ADSL was OK. Definitely, the router was duff. Picked up the new router this afternoon, and now back online

Your ADSL router! Phew! Just for a moment I thought you were using a router for all those windows :scratchhead:

Your ADSL router! Phew! Just for a moment I thought you were using a router for all those windows :scratchhead:

Hi,

The BIG tools don't come anywhere near the modelling - enough damage can be done with the SMALL ones :scared:

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've dipped into this thread from time to time and I have to say Ron not only do I admire your skills as a craftsman but your tenacity and energy levels too.

I just wouldn't have it in me...keep it up!

Ron

I only recently caught up on your build and I must say fantastic work.

The only question I have is,

In your railway room are you going to have the floor finished and the walls plastered and painted or has this been done since the last posting of some pictures of you room?

Pete

In your railway room are you going to have the floor finished and the walls plastered and painted or has this been done since the last posting of some pictures of you room?

Pete

Hi, Pete

The floor has been painted with Floor Paint, to stop concrete dust as the floor completely dries out, and will fit carpet around the outside of the baseboards when all the walls have been sorted

Spanish Villas don't have dampproof membranes in the external walls or foundations. So have to make the best with the existing external walls. The external ground level is 1.0m to 1.5m above the railway room floor level

I have decided that the walls will be coated with an antihygro solution, then fix a dampproof membrane lining to the wall before fitting insulating foam slabs, later this summer when all the possible dampness in the walls has been removed by both the natural drying process and continuous dehumidifying

The external wall faces have been repainted, and the wall/external tile joints have also been resealed. Additional airbricks have been fitted to increase the ventilation through the external walls above ground level

Hope this will keep the damp under control

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1