Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

Painted Beams and Canopy trusses fitted -

post-10633-0-06548100-1373130330_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-59273300-1373130392_thumb.jpg

The 4 Hoist housings will be next. These will provide a much needed vertical support for the canopy glazing, etc., as the truss end fixing is not strong enough to provide the cantilevered structure complete support

Waiting for delivery of the styrene to start the housings - should be here towards the end of next week

Will make a start on the windows in the meantime

• Like 7

Whilst still building the remaining 10 canopy trusses. the drawings for the 4 hoist housings have been prepared -

attachicon.gifGNW#5-1.png         attachicon.gifGNW#5-2.png        attachicon.gifGNW#5-3.png

North face                            West face                       South face

Are we going to see individual planks cut and lapped Ron?   :mosking:

Superb craftsmanship as always.  Having been to Manchester recently and seen some of the structures you have embarked upon on recreating being in 'complete awe' does not come close now!!!

SXHALL, on 07 Jul 2013 - 12:26, said:

Are we going to see individual planks cut and lapped Ron?   :mosking:

Superb craftsmanship as always.  Having been to Manchester recently and seen some of the structures you have embarked upon on recreating being in 'complete awe' does not come close now!!!

That's 6"x 3/4" planks with 1" overlap, or 80thou x 10thou styrene strip overlapped by 13.3 thou. I think that may be going too far for accuracy and detailing. May use embossed sheet

- I was expecting somebody to ask about working hoists, which of course wouldn't be visible inside the housings

Thanks for your much appreciated comments

Cheers

Ron

Fitted the canopy rafters, and the backing board for the canopy awning -

post-10633-0-40231200-1373217388_thumb.jpg

The 80thou x 20thou rafter strips show a bit of waviness, which will be sorted when the canopy glazing bars are fitted

post-10633-0-47867800-1373217430_thumb.jpg

A couple of hoist housing sides

post-10633-0-34713700-1373217492_thumb.jpg

The first of the four hoist housing bottom supports fitted through the facade wall for extra structural support

• Like 4

The man is something else. We'll never see anything quite like this in what remains of our lives,

I agree that Ron has produced some stunning modelling that the majority of us can probably only hope and dream about producing.

Colin

Hi Ron,

I've lurked, followed and "liked" your work for ages, and want to thank you for the help and inspiration to set to with piles of plastic and vats of solvent on my own workbench. Seeing how strong you could make the train shed, bridges and so on made me realise that this was the best way to go for some of my own structures.

Thanks, and keep going!

Iain

Hi Ron,

I've lurked, followed and "liked" your work for ages, and want to thank you for the help and inspiration to set to with piles of plastic and vats of solvent on my own workbench. Seeing how strong you could make the train shed, bridges and so on made me realise that this was the best way to go for some of my own structures.

Thanks, and keep going!

Iain

Hi, Iain

I'm glad to see some of your work includes an impressive trussed bridge in plastic - Regents Park Road bridge - and a phenomenally long pedestrian bridge

Keep up the good work

Cheers

Ron

Two whole days since the last post showing more progress.  It wouldn't surprise me to see the other three hoist housings built and all four affixed to the warehouse.  Such is the rate of progress I've come to expect when visiting this thread...

Two whole days since the last post showing more progress.  It wouldn't surprise me to see the other three hoist housings built and all four affixed to the warehouse.  Such is the rate of progress I've come to expect when visiting this thread...

I hope you are not suffering withdrawal symptoms

The first hoist housing is complete, but still awaiting the styrene delivery from the UK to construct the remaining three housings. Then they will all be painted and fixed in position on the warehouse. The hoist housing window units have been constructed as a frame without the glazing, so that they can be painted before the glazing is fixed. The first window unit frame was separated from the glazing after the picture was taken

The warehouse windows are still under construction, and the method of constructing the canopy glazing is under review -

Styrene strip fixed to clear sheet - Quick and easy, but not so convincing

or

Styrene glazing bars 64mm long with individual overlapping glazing sheets - approx. 2' x 5' 6" (8mm x 22mm). The bars being fixed to a wall batten and supported by the rafters off the trusses. Finished off with lead flashing, valancing and guttering

I will probably go for the latter, as it will be in full view about 300mm from the layout baseboard edge

Cheers

Ron

• Like 2

I hope you are not suffering withdrawal symptoms

The first hoist housing is complete, but still awaiting the styrene delivery from the UK to construct the remaining three housings. Then they will all be painted and fixed in position on the warehouse. The hoist housing window units have been constructed as a frame without the glazing, so that they can be painted before the glazing is fixed. The first window unit frame was separated from the glazing after the picture was taken

The warehouse windows are still under construction, and the method of constructing the canopy glazing is under review -

Styrene strip fixed to clear sheet - Quick and easy, but not so convincing

or

Styrene glazing bars 64mm long with individual overlapping glazing sheets - approx. 2' x 5' 6" (8mm x 22mm). The bars being fixed to a wall batten and supported by the rafters off the trusses. Finished off with lead flashing, valancing and guttering

I will probably go for the latter, as it will be in full view about 300mm from the layout baseboard edge

Cheers

Ron

Ron

How about laser cut windows, I have some in card (large 4mm) for an 0-16.5 building which should be fine for an engine shed, and with a bit of chopping about for both the signal box and station building. I guess with a large number you could strike a good deal with someone

Housing with all four window frame units in place, but not fixed -

post-10633-0-03498100-1373568539_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-18998100-1373568586_thumb.jpg

Hoist housing placed temporarily against warehouse wall -

post-10633-0-32418800-1373568808_thumb.jpg

Canopy glazing bars fixed to wall batten and eaves beam, this part will fit between hoist housings -

post-10633-0-85201300-1373568637_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-42608500-1373568700_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-46817200-1373568760_thumb.jpg

- the glazing unit is being extended to encompass all four hoist housings

• Like 8

Completed the canopy glazing support bars -

(bars - 20thou x 40thou, wall batten - 20thou x 100thou, eaves bar - 40 thou x 40thou)

post-10633-0-15000000-1373638095_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-10713800-1373638150_thumb.jpg

- next, spray the assembly, and then fix the glazing strips from 100micron clear overhead sheet, and finish with 10thou x 20thou over glazing bars

• Like 9

Once upon a time I used to model aircraft of the very light, floating type. Suddenly, the complexities of your build are quite open to me. Just plastic, not balsa.

Thanks for that!

Tony.

Hi, Tony

Going back 'er hum' 60 years I used to make up Keilkraft balsa aircraft kits - balsa formers and stringers, and doped tissue with tiny two stroke prop. engines and the odd solid fuel Jetex engine - not complex just a bit of patience and plenty of fun

Cheers

Ron

Edited by Ron Heggs
  • Like 1

This thread never ceases to amaze me! We've seen some superb modelling over the years, and just when it appears to reach a peak, along comes Mr. Hegg's to raise the bar even further!

Totally absorbing and a joy to behold!

Regards

Bill

• Like 1