Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

Ron

Great work as always.  I notice that on the original, all that lettering is slightly raised.  Have you decided that it would not be noticeable in 4mm scale, and that therefore the effort involved isn't justified?  (I would take that view, I think.)  Or do you intend to apply another layer over the lettering?

Andy

Hi, Andy

The purchase of a cutting machine is being considered which will enable some small detailing to be produced. The lettering for signs, etc. would be one those items which could be made easier than handcutting

Cheers

Ron

Are the cutting machines capable of doing such small letters though? If so, it would open up a world of opportunities for you.

Hi, Ian

I am in contact with a cutting machine user asking just that question. Will report back when I have an answer. Otherwise it will have to be etched lettering

Cheers

Ron

I was trying to think how I'd produce the lettering, and to be convincing, the edges really need to be very crisp.  Etching in thin N/S might not do the job.  There's always a cusp around the edge, and that would need to be taken off with a file (not so easy with thin material) or abrasive paper.  It would be a fiddly job, to say the very least.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ron,

This is a really enjoyable thread - thanks for keeping the updates coming!

I'm not sure how big the lettering is that you're after, but might it be possible to get it laser cut in thin wood or styrene? This could provide the kind of sharp cut out you require. I believe York model marking http://www.yorkmodelmaking.co.uk/ offer a bespoke laser cutting service in various materials to artwork provided by the customer.

Cheers

Ben A.

Masterful Ron

To see this project as a whole, develop as it has gone on has been a wonderful experience.

Mind, there is so to come as well so all power to your plasticard... :good:

The foamboard replacement for the plywood on the baseboard is almost complete

Will post pictures when completed. Hopefully this weekend

-

Started on the sandstone detailing of the Deansgate screen facade -

post-10633-0-65578500-1378332884_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-73879400-1378332938_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-73417700-1378332989_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-13089300-1378333042_thumb.jpg

All in 10 & 20thou styrene strip

The detailing is not fixed, and awaits painting, etc. first

The card backing requires trimming behind the shop fascias

Four more of these identical details to be added, then on to the upper cornice details, before the overall sandstone linear detailing

-

As I can no longer import EMA PlasticWeld from the UK, have reverted to using Butanone. Not the best substitute, but unfortunately the next best alternative, and  available in Spain

• Like 6

Ron, why is it no longer possible to import Plastic Weld?  Is this due to legislation?

The Royal Mail will no longer accept solvents, etc. as mail items. So these items are now sent by courier. However, these items are also on the banned list of items of airline operators which most overseas couriers use

The only way that these items can be sent from the UK to Spain is via road/ferry, etc., which most courier companies don't operate. That is the problem

Dichloromethane (Plastic Weld) is not available in normal consumer size containers, but Butanone - MEK - Methyl Ethyl Ketone is available as a PVCu cleaner/primer in 500ml tins for €2.40 from the local plumbing and DIY stores

MEK is ok for ABS and with care also for styrene (very small strip can snap without warning)

Cheers

Ron

The Royal Mail will no longer accept solvents, etc. as mail items. So these items are now sent by courier. However, these items are also on the banned list of items of airline operators which most overseas couriers use

The only way that these items can be sent from the UK to Spain is via road/ferry, etc., which most courier companies don't operate. That is the problem

Dichloromethane (Plastic Weld) is not available in normal consumer size containers, but Butanone - MEK - Methyl Ethyl Ketone is available as a PVCu cleaner/primer in 500ml tins for €2.40 from the local plumbing and DIY stores

MEK is ok for ABS and with care also for styrene (very small strip can snap without warning)

Cheers

Ron

A resourceful man like you Ron, photoshop some spurious labels and get your family to de-label and relabel it to something else. Then the next time they come out to you Ron shove it in the hold luggage shouldn't be a problem, when you consider the aerosols that people place in the luggage for flights I would have thought they would be much more volatile. Lets face it Spainish border controls are not the tightest to say the least.  

On a recent trip to Tenerife, we had a 7hr delay for the flight home, those nice people at Thomson Holidays feed and watered us and then shipped us back to the airport, when we went back through security the xray operator was more intrested in stirring his coffee than noticing that Mrs Trebor was carrying 500ml sealed bottle of water, which she had purchased airside some 5hrs earlier (before the whole flight was turfed out of the airport)  no challange, infact did not even bat an eyelid.... 

regards

trebor

• RMweb Gold

The quantity of Plastic Weld Ron gets through would almost justify a pipeline.   :)

The quantity of plastic weld and plastic sheet/strip Ron uses could almost warrant a free, personal delivery by road from a UK supplier !!

• Like 1

Have you tried using cellulose thinners instead? I've used it for years quite successfully. You can get different grades that are more or less volatile with varying drying times. i also use it for spraying of course but it may be more easily obtained in Spain than other substances. I last paid £15 to £20 a gallon!! it lasts quite a while.

Regards John E

Yes I was thinking the same thing. The word we're looking for rhymes with "juggling", I believe...

I was only kidding of course, I would never suggest that one should smuggle anything...... :nono:  

Ron, You mention that you can get MEK no problem and that Dichloromethane (Plastic Weld) is not available in normal consumer size containers, what size containers are available then?

regards

I was trying to think how I'd produce the lettering, and to be convincing, the edges really need to be very crisp.  Etching in thin N/S might not do the job.  There's always a cusp around the edge, and that would need to be taken off with a file (not so easy with thin material) or abrasive paper.  It would be a fiddly job, to say the very least.

Laser cutting might be a way of doing it. These people http://www.yorkmodelmaking.com/  do a fair bit or railway work, and it might be worth contacting them.

Mark

The foamboard replacement for the plywood base has been completed

All the models have been placed in approx. their final locations (in plan, if not in elevation)

The board is now being marked up with all the roadways, and the outline for the viaducts carrying the approach tracks from the viaduct bridges into the train shed are underway. This will be followed by marking and cutting out the canals

A few pictures of the models strewn across the baseboard -

post-10633-0-57675700-1379080368_thumb.jpg

Looking over the CLC goods yard

post-10633-0-03027300-1379080412_thumb.jpg

Station (Train Shed) forecourt with the Parcels Office and Station Offices

post-10633-0-67458800-1379080445_thumb.jpg

CLC Goods Warehouse with the GNR Goods Warehouse in the background

post-10633-0-10268000-1379080797_thumb.jpg

GNR Goods Warehouse viewed from Deansgate over the cartway/high level access. The red card structure is the walls of the Deansgate Shops behind the  Deansgate frontage screen which is on the modelling board still having the sandstone detailing being added

post-10633-0-39488200-1379080489_thumb.jpg

View down Deansgate towards the GNR and CLC bridges

post-10633-0-25351600-1379080568_thumb.jpg

The bottom of Deansgate with the Crown Hotel and the CLC bridge - The Railway Hotel requires placing to the right of the bridge

post-10633-0-93037000-1379080604_thumb.jpg

The legs may be up in the air, but it's not dead, just safe to move when the trackwork is being laid. The GNR bridge over Great Bridgwater Street Gives the access to the the GNR Warehouse and Goods Yard. The visible overhang from the train shed will be extended with brick viaducting,and will carry the external platforms and canopies, and approach trackwork over Great Bridgewater Street/Trafford Street

post-10633-0-69252400-1379080523_thumb.jpg

The brick viaducts carrying the GNR trackwork to the junction with the CLC tracks, and over towards the Castlefield and Cornbrook Viaduct bridges

post-10633-0-57443800-1379080682_thumb.jpg

The Castlefield and Cornbrook Viaduct bridges

post-10633-0-84968700-1379080713_thumb.jpg

View towards the Carriage Sidings board (using the MSJ&AR trackway under the Viaducts)

post-10633-0-96232300-1379080641_thumb.jpg

The Cornbrook Viaduct #2 Bridge the first span of which will be inside and the second span outside through the opening into the garden

post-10633-0-88512400-1379080762_thumb.jpg

The 1:2500 Ordnance Survey Maps used to layout the roads and tracks

Edited by Ron Heggs
  • Like 14

In the words of my late colleague, Mike Bent, who worked at Manchester Victoria 'box at one time- 'Flippin' 'eck'

Thanks Brian

Realise now just how much work still has to be done, and how far I've got to walk to get around the layout :O

Cheers

Ron