Treneglos: The ACE on the North Cornwall Railway

2ManySpams

Using the single line approach similar to what you have on Treneglos, but heading into a harbour station with goods yard area, engine shed and turntable if you have the space. How does that sound?

Colin

Hey Chris,

I've just had an idea for that lovely new space - and this time it's not fuelled by the usual thinking juice, but only tea and a jaffa cake, (now I've got a bus pass)!

What about building that 'essence of Wadebridge' layout we discussed years ago, complete with the dock-side warehouses and all on a long curved diagonal? Then you could borrow some of my Great Western engines too! The spotless little 45XX and the Pannier tanks never get a run out these days and I've got a 43XX somewhere. They'd make such a nice change from all those extra mucky Spam-tins you've got!

Glad you're staying way out west though with your new home-based layout, because I've still got a heap of special "Treneglos-mix" ballast to use up!

All the best, John.

• Like 1

Of course also in Cornwall (but wrong coast and wrong company, mere details) there's the Cober viaduct on the Helston Branch - part of a complete semi-circle. As wooded as the Millhook valley or the Valency Valley above Boscastle.

• Like 1

Hopefully so Colin. I have a few commitments to get through first. Give me a prod every now and then though....

I get the feeling Chris that I may not have to give you a prod, although if nothing by February I will enquire about it at Tonbridge (if I get a chance to talk to anyone then!) :mellow:

Colin

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Evening all

Been a while since there's been any Treneglos posts but here's news of our next exhibition appearance. We'll be at Spalding show:

2011 Exhibition

to be held on 12th and 13th November

at Springfields Event Centre, Camelgate, Spalding, PE12 6ET, just off the A16

next to the Outlet Shopping Centre

Saturday 10am - 5pm, Sunday 9.30am - 4.30pm.

Admission Adults £6.00, OAP's £5.00, Children £3.00, Family ticket 2 adults plus up to 3 children £15.00

Evening all

Been a while since there's been any Treneglos posts but here's news of our next exhibition appearance. We'll be at Spalding show:

2011 Exhibition

to be held on 12th and 13th November

at Springfields Event Centre, Camelgate, Spalding, PE12 6ET, just off the A16

next to the Outlet Shopping Centre

Saturday 10am - 5pm, Sunday 9.30am - 4.30pm.

Admission Adults £6.00, OAP's £5.00, Children £3.00, Family ticket 2 adults plus up to 3 children £15.00

Can I bring my whoopee cushion??

• 3 weeks later...

Saw Treneglos at Spalding today. Thought it the best layout in the show, always something happening, superb atmosphere of North Cornwall, friendly operators, Overall excellent.

Thank you.

(It was me that spoke to you about the class 24 - found a pic. of a 25 in 1978 on railtour - near enough! :-) )

RichardS

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Saw Treneglos at Spalding today. Thought it the best layout in the show, always something happening, superb atmosphere of North Cornwall, friendly operators, Overall excellent.

Thank you.

(It was me that spoke to you about the class 24 - found a pic. of a 25 in 1978 on railtour - near enough! :-) )

RichardS

24 / 25 - it's all diesels according to John ;-) Thought the 70's rang a bell. the best reason though to run anything with motorised bogies is the look on John's face when he sees the loco heading towards his fiddleyard. You missed a Class 60 (with sound) on the ACE and double-headed Beattie Well Tanks on 8 coaches.

Had a great time and very nice to see more folk off here.

• Like 1

All this talk about diesels, I guess that Chris will have to persuade John to allow the new Dapol 22 and a Bubble car and DMU to pass through Treneglos, At least for this late period of the NCR John could get his own back with a 4-6-0 standard, and maybe even that dreaded Thompson coach!

Meantime great to meet all of the Treneglos gang at Spalding - yes it was the best layout in my eyes (but I'm biased!).

Chris/John my offer of the U1 for Tonbridge in 2012 is open please let me know in due course.

Derek

• Like 2

All this talk about diesels, I guess that Chris will have to persuade John to allow the new Dapol 22 and a Bubble car and DMU to pass through Treneglos, At least for this late period of the NCR John could get his own back with a 4-6-0 standard, and maybe even that dreaded Thompson coach!

Meantime great to meet all of the Treneglos gang at Spalding - yes it was the best layout in my eyes (but I'm biased!).

Chris/John my offer of the U1 for Tonbridge in 2012 is open please let me know in due course.

Derek

Never mind the diesels, keep them on DitD, we have Tonbridge members that think the GWR is the ultimate railway and need educating (says the person who part owns a GWR layout B) ), although would like to see the U1 if it is running on Treneglos.

Colin

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Derek

Thanks Derek

If I get my rear into gear there should be some weathered Beatties, a class 22 (or 5), a 121, Std 3 Tank and Std 4 tender ready for duty to add a bit of late period (apart from the BWTs) pre-closure variety. Certainly the U1 would be welcome to visit.

• RMweb Premium

Never mind the diesels, keep them on DitD, we have Tonbridge members that think the GWR is the ultimate railway and need educating (says the person who part owns a GWR layout B) ), although would like to see the U1 if it is running on Treneglos.

Colin

Gosh another vote for a U1 - looks like Derek will be popular.

• RMweb Premium

This is a beautiful layout, filed with my favourite things, The ACE, N Class locomotives and T9s. It captures that Cornwall look so well and isn't cluttered in one bit but graceful.

Thank you for the kind comments. Cluttered it isn't, there's very little track on the 20' of scenic frontage - in fact there's 62' of track in the fiddles! We do like our Spams, T9s and Ns though. One day I'll have to post a photo of the 72A fleet!

• Like 2

Thanks Derek

If I get my rear into gear there should be some weathered Beatties, a class 22 (or 5), a 121, Std 3 Tank and Std 4 tender ready for duty to add a bit of late period (apart from the BWTs) pre-closure variety. Certainly the U1 would be welcome to visit.

I think you have missed something off, begins with "S"

• Like 1