Peco innovation at the Model and Hobby Show

Andy Y

Peco's innovative move with the Magni-Simplex coupling could be very interesting. The detail is finer than Kadees but seemingly similarly in performance and strength. The couplings will be available in a pack of 4 and a bulk pack, ready to fit to NEM pockets and triggered by electromagnetic uncouplers below the track. they certainly seemed less obtrusive, performed well and I can seriously see these catching on.

Peco1.jpg

Peco2.jpg

Peco3.jpg

Also on show was the new large radius concrete sleepered point which is Peco's longest length OO point and the steel sleepered flexible track.

Peco4.jpg

Peco5.jpg

I can see my dad liking the couplings - he still complains about Tri-Ang choosing the tension lock and saddling the hobby with it! :lol:

Not sure on the concrete turnout though - on its own it'll look fine but for more complex arrangements it'll look ridiculous for most British prototypes. New S&C installations have tied bearers, in other words the 'timbers' run right the way through the formation and won't be within the confines of individual parts.

• RMweb Premium
I can see my dad liking the couplings - he still complains about Tri-Ang choosing the tension lock and saddling the hobby with it!

Your Dad sounds like a very wise man! B)

I used to use the metal Simplex type and still would if it wasn't so difficult to fit them to modern rolling stock, so will very much look forward to getting hold of some of this new version! :D

Interesting.

Regarding the buckeye coupling, I wonder just how much of an innovation this actually is, rather than just pandering to the US market. I guess the stark white is just the prototype version and it will be black in production. Not sure it fits well with prototype coupling or that much of an advance over the tension lock. Personally I will stick with S&W conversions, but I can see fans of Kadees being interested. I wonder how long before it is adopted (as an optional alternative) by Bachmann etc.

Still good to see Peco working on some new developments.

Bachmann have what I think is called the E-Z coupling, a Kaydee type that slips into the NEM socket. I tested them and, while they are undeniably neater than a tension-lock, they do not significantly shorten the distance between coaches. In anycase, with no side swing, they depend on the NEM socket having side play.

I guess the stark white is just the prototype version and it will be black in production.

That is correct.

Bachmann have what I think is called the E-Z coupling .... In anycase, with no side swing, they depend on the NEM socket having side play.

These couplings did have easy lateral movement within the NEM socket with a return to centre action so should be better performers.

Guest Belgian

I guess the stark white is just the prototype version and it will be black in production.

Wouldn't it be nice if they would make them in clear plastic/nylon.

JE

Bachmann have what I think is called the E-Z coupling, a Kaydee type that slips into the NEM socket. I tested them and, while they are undeniably neater than a tension-lock, they do not significantly shorten the distance between coaches. In anycase, with no side swing, they depend on the NEM socket having side play.

i have to disagree with that slightly. i have e-z mates fitted to all my Bachmann mk2's, and they do bring them extremly close together, almost touching, but stretch out on curves so to avoid buffer locking. they are generally good couplings.

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Interesting, did Peco indicate any thoughts on an N gauge version?

With no mention of it in the Farish 2011 announcements it would be nice to have an alternative in development.

Other than an oblique reference as a Class 08 bullet point:

Option to fit EZ Mate II magnetic buckeye couplings

Regards, Gerry.

• RMweb Premium

Wouldn't it be nice if they would make them in clear plastic/nylon.

JE

They would probably be almost as obtrusive as the white ones as not all types of plastic are available in transparent. On another thread people were asking if Kaydees were used, they had but had been so well weathered that they were almost invisible.

Guest Belgian

Andy, did you have the opportunity to examine the couplings? From the pictures it looks like they leave a massive gap between the buffers and that the mechanism is contained in a large "gearbox" (as Kadee call it) which presumably means there is no opportunity to simply clip them into the NEM pocket and have close coupling.

JE

Andy, did you have the opportunity to examine the couplings? From the pictures it looks like they leave a massive gap between the buffers and that the mechanism is contained in a large "gearbox" (as Kadee call it) which presumably means there is no opportunity to simply clip them into the NEM pocket and have close coupling.

JE

I believe the plan is to produce NEM versions, including different versions to replace Bachmann's various 'shanked' tension locks. The latter was something which Kadee were never going to produce a fix for because it was perculiarly to British stock and therefore not commercially viable. The fact that Bachmann now seem to have sorted their pocket heights (after much complaining by Kadee users) means the market for this will start shrinking.

Providing these are compatible with Kadees (which I was told they should be), they will be a very welcome addition to the Peco range.

Interesting, did Peco indicate any thoughts on an N gauge version?

I will second that. A simple, reliable solution that can dropped into both NEM and Rapido boxes would be a big boon for N gauge modellers. Microtrains have made mumblings about NEM but nothing has materialised. Farish also hinted they were working on smoething but the big 2011 announcement has been and gone without it appearing.

An N gauge magni-simplex would be very welcome.

Those couplings do look very good i may have to trial some. one thing i do have to ask is why Peco dosent have its own area along with the likes of Hornby and Bachmann on the forum as they are the largest track manufacturer ect it seems a little silly to deny them of a forum

And on how many occasions do we discuss a Peco product in this section? This is the 8th time in a year so it doesn't really constitute a separate section whatever their size.

I can see my dad liking the couplings - he still complains about Tri-Ang choosing the tension lock and saddling the hobby with it! :lol:

Not sure on the concrete turnout though - on its own it'll look fine but for more complex arrangements it'll look ridiculous for most British prototypes. New S&C installations have tied bearers, in other words the 'timbers' run right the way through the formation and won't be within the confines of individual parts.

HI All

I dont think your ever going to get that 100% accurate crossover look with the barrers running right through from any manufacturer, I think once point like this are fitted on layouts they will look good, as its surprising how long real point work is.

Regards Arran

Also on show was the new large radius concrete sleepered point which is Peco's longest length OO point and the steel sleepered flexible track.

post-1-0-28083400-1299443141_thumb.jpg

Why are they only making this in concrete sleeper'd version? Would love to see a wooden sleepered version of this turnout. It looks stunning, quite an improvement on the tiny stuff in their standard range...

J

• 3 months later...

I have a large quantity of the Bachmann EZ-mate couplers... they do work well on the Bachmann MK1 & MK2 coaches, but have yet to find a use otherwise for them. The fact that the knuckle does not swivel makes them ideal for use on stock that have a close couple mechanism and/or significant side play.

They are also quite long, as they same length as a Kadee # 20. I've found most of my NEM stock works best with Kadee # 18 & 19, as they provide a nice close couple, but still allows for navigating 22" radius without buffer lock.

Kadee (why Brits always seem spell it wrong is unknown to me) were showing a new concept remote control coupling system at the US National Train Show in Sacramento today that does not require ramps. Electronic signal not on track or DCC bus. (I am unsure if it is wifi, bluetooth but not radio, Each piece of equipped train equipment can be addressed and the coupler on one or the other end released). First on G, then coming next year in HO (for OO too). Receiver, battery powered fits under coach, freight car whatever and connects to activation mechanism in coupler box. They had sample mounted on an O scale gondola as well as G scale.

It is an independent system not tied to DCC, track power or other standards so will work whether you are DCC or analog.

Interesting, very interesting.

• 4 months later...

I was wondering what had happened to this product - some retailers list it but as "out of stock" - presumably it hasn;t yet appeared or did I miss something?

Anyone know whether Peco have set a release date for it? Having recenlty experienced a spate of hooks falling off modern style small hook and bar couplings I would be keen to explore tis potential: I still operate the older peco/Dublo couplings for preference.

Colm Flanagan

Archived