Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

Sorry guys, I had completely missed your posts.  The last couple of months have seen me in the modelling doldrums and that means little has been done, however, I have relaid the junctions completely and now re ballasted them.  I'm getting nearer every day to 'getting back in the saddle' and have no intention of this one going in the skip....

I still find this hobby of ours strange in as much enthusiasm/motivation ebbs and flows and I certainly used to feel bad about it.  I now realise that could happen in any hobby and take some comfort that others have gone through similar stages in the build process.  I think it's even more of an issue for solo builders.  At least where you have a team of builders, you can often carry 'passengers' for a short period and others will always lift the spirits of the group as a whole.  WIthout that it can get tough at times.  Thankfully RMWeb is my cyber group of builders and I'm staggered by the number of members following this thread.  The odd nudge you guys give me from time to time does register and I'm grateful for the support and advice that has been given.  I'd love to be able to say it will all start tomorrow, but that time is getting nearer and the recent arrival of an 01 and B17 is spurring me on.

Thanks for your patience.  

• Like 14

• 1 month later...

Ripping up and starting afresh is definitely a consideration for people who cannot live with compromise and things they are not happy with. I feel Gordon is maybe going through the same thought processes as I while enjoying the distracton of golf. In my case, damaging the chest bone joint last November while chiselling cork off the baseboard didnt help, but then neither did the underlying track problems. The enforced break has turned out to be a good thing and perhaps Gordon will view his position in a similar light and return to layout building with a completely new vision. I sincerely hope so. :good:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

Hi Gordon

Great to have you back, I've been dropping in to the Eastwood Town thread every now and then to see what's happening. I can totally relate with the problems of motivation and some time its best to take a brake Break.

It's good news that you're to start on the terminus, is this the modified Bastille plan that you worked on last summer? wonderful design. Good luck

Ian

Edited for typo error due to faulty keyboard :no:    .... that's my excuse anyway!

Edited by Ian_H
  • Like 1

Nice to see you back, Gordon.  I have missed my fix of reading about your modelling.  I can sympathise with you.  Over 3 years ago I had a total knee replacement .  Unfortunately it didn't work, it had become infected.  For 18 months the consultant dilly dallied and eventually discharged me even despite the raging  infection.  I sought a second opinion at another hospital and they were horrified.  The result was I spent the whole of the summer of 2011 in hospital while my knee joint was taken out and replaced by a temporary joint.  So I was on a heavy dose of antibiotis, walking with crutches for 10 months and only last May was my knee finally fitted with a proper joint.  All that time my interest in doing anything on the model railway was non existant and my layout with it's scratch built locos and stock were left gathering dust.  I did tune in to RMWeb occasionally, but otherwise watched endless repeats of Midsommer Murders. So my advice to anyone contemplating total knee replacement, think very carefully.

Derek

• Like 1

Derek, you have my sympathies.  My right knee was borderline and eventually I had key hole surgery.  It's a lot better but not 100%.  I did talk to the surgeon about a replacement and he spent some time talking about the potential problems.  Reading your sad tale just confirmed to me I possibly made the right choice.

Thanks for the welcome back guys.  It's been difficult having no motivation to work on something that used to give so much pleasure.  Having seen the pics of Black Country Blues I was very tempted to just go to a simple oval plus yard and less really is more.  I loved these pics...

Of course I'd need to knock a hole into our bedroom to accommodate the extra length... :no:

post-6950-0-75529800-1364058798.jpg

post-6950-0-74700100-1364058797.jpg

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I tend to agree, Gordon. Plus it's doable in a reasonable amount of time.

Best, Pete.

Important point, Pete. We each have a different motivation for modelling. Some find the act of making and improving is their pleasure - Jim S-W's Birmingham New St layout being the classic example, where he cheerfully states he won't mind if it's never finished because his satisfaction is the creation of replica details of the station, one by one. Gordon has demonstrated an ability to produce beautiful track, but only he knows whether the long list of things before he can expect a full running session is too daunting. RTR plus RTP has certain advantages if your joy is seeing the trains run - and you are not in the first flush of youth, or possessed of perfect health or fitness.

• Like 6

Please don't rip it up again. I couldn't bear it.

If it's not up to scratch, move on, do the next piece. Start a list of what you're going to upgrade as soon as you finish, and put the bit you're not happy with at the top of the list. Then, when everything's up and running, you can start weekend possessions to replace the sub-standard sections. That way, you'll never get bored just running trains, but you will get to run trains, and I'll get to admire the pictures.

At a certain stage, perfection is the enemy of excellence.

Alan

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Really good to have you back Gordon and you are inspiring me to get my loft sorted so that a layout can begin, I just wish the weather would start to warm up, a least a bit.

• RMweb Premium

I had a look back a few pages to the ballasting incident and to be honest with you, 99% of people on here would be more than happy with it. Please don't lob it all in the bin Gordon, you'd be doing yourself a mis-service, especially for a section of track that on the whole won't be the key viewing area of the layout.

p.s. Good to have you back in the driving seat.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well I am glad you didn't give up Gordon, your previous ET attempts have given me a lot of inspiration even simply the retaining walls (I plan on using the 7mm stone also). love the dark, gritty even menacing atmosphere that you have produced with ET so far. Keep going don't give up as you are an inspiration.

Great to see the enthusiasm beginning to be rekindled Gordon and I look forward to seeing it develop. If my efforts have been even a tiny inspiration, that's a small repayment for the massive help that you have been to me and no doubt many others.

Thank you.

And err, see you on the first tee next week..... :)

Iain