Eastwood Town - A tribute to Gordon's modelling.

gordon s

Hi Gordon,

I'm currently 50 pages behind your current progress(!) so I haven't a clue what is going on now but just wanted to let you know that I'm highly inspired by your work and am dutifully following on. By the time I catch up to this post, you still be miles in front, ha, ha!

Many thanks indeed for this wonderful thread.

Cheers,

John E.

Edit: in light of your most recent post: Have a well earned rest and come back fully charged!

Edited by Allegheny1600
  • Like 1

Sorry to read of the 'ballasting fiasco' and the need to recover your interest in the layout. I envy your sweeping handbuilt pointwork, while being mighty glad I don't have to ballast it all afterwards! So I think I can understand your situation, but then my viewpoint happens to be simple and uncomplicated. My initial layout in recent times was never ballasted, as it wasn't something I could face after reading the ways folk do their ballasting these days, Later on I tried it, not my scene, and reverted to the old quick & easy ballasting while track laying.

If your points and plain track weren't glued down, it would be relatively easy to lay and ballast around 6-7 feet at a time. This way you could see the layout growing each day in the comforting knowledge that you dont have to go back to it afterwards except for wiring.

Good luck and my very best wishes for Christmas and the New Year.

Larry

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Gordon

Sorry to hear of your setback. If it's any consolation, I'm sure that your trackwork and general level of craftsmanship have inspired a good many (myself included). So NON ILLEGITIME CARBORUNDUM (don't let the b****ards grind you down) as they don't say in Latin, and here's to a speedy return to your layout, refreshed and renewed. I played golf many years ago, but I don't miss it. I certainly don't miss the golf bores at the 19th hole!

Good Christmas!

Terry D

Thanks Terry. Been at home today and an 01 and B17 have just turned up courtesy of Hattons. Both are lovely models. The workhorse 01 which will be filthy just after Christmas and the beauty of the B17 complete with it's football nameplate is a joy to behold. Grimsby Town it is right now, but that will also be changed in a month or so. These new locos have rekindled my interest and I'm sitting here thinking how wonderful it will be to have a complete loop. The only person that can make than happen is me, so it could be a gentle nudge to get things going again. Certainly once things settle, a couple of days per week will be set aside for golf and another couple will be ET days, so expect to see some more progress in the next 3-4 weeks.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning Gordon and good to have you posting again now that your modelling mojo appears to be returning. New year, new challenge so to speak, a change is as good as a rest and so on...

Merry Christmas and a happy modelling New Year.

• Like 1

Hi Gordon,

I knew ET was big but didn`t realise with that vid the turntable equates to been 3/4 mile wide. Dont the engines get dizzy trying to find the exit LOL.

Hope you and Mrs have a great Festive season and look forwards to tons of ET updates in the New Year.

All the best to you both.

• Like 1

Guest Belgian

As always Gordon, I wish I could achieve the feats of realism which you continually provide for us all to aspire to! MC&HNY.

JE

Edited by Belgian
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Gordon.... Love your build.  I've just read through your entire thread, all of your trials and tribulations, amendments to 'the plan', illness etc etc. Conclusion - I've just been upstairs to my loft and spent several hours ripping up my track. Seeing the quality of your build, from someone who claims not to know what they're doing, depressed me beyond belief and now I'm totally de-motivated with a pile of track I don't know what to do with.

"C'est la vie" so they say but, at 69 I don't know whether I'll ever regain the enthusiasm to start again - only time will tell....

Mike

ps. not really your fault, just an age thing, I think.....

• RMweb Gold

I think the previous post is very misplaced. Anybody who stops modelling as a result of reading something about the work of a modeller who is at a higher standard than them has issues of their own. By putting the comment on this thread you are putting blame in the wrong place, it belongs with you. I hope this does not adversely affect Gordon because he doesn't deserve it, or need it.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I agree. All Gordon did was to read up on the subject and give it a go (I did similar, albeit not to Gordon's standards) and if anything, it should encourage you to have a go rather than give up before you have started. Gordon's thread, a well as many others on here encouraged me to step outside my perceived comfort zone and I am sure that it has done the same for many others. You don't know what you can or can't do until you give it a try and to be honest, PCB turnouts aren't really that hard to get your head round if you have the correct tools for the job (gauges, soldering iron, vice and a file, basically).

• Like 2