Amazing What You Find When You Walk Disused Railway Lines

Are we allowed to ask how long the stuff's been there? I recently saw a class 73 at Derby and since I have been passing through Derby (last 2 years or so) there has usually been some converted southern electric stock in the blue/green livery. I'm just wondering if it is that stock?

Is that the ex 4-SUB deicing unit that seems to be in internal use at Etches Park depot? That's been there for years and is a different type of unit to the ones in the photos.

I remember seeing one of these at Chiswick/Acton works (London Transport) but can't remember whether it was on the Bus or Underground works.

It was about 42 years ago so memory is a bit fuzzy :blink:

One was based outside Baker Street Underground Staion in the 70's

Dont think its much of a secret when its clearly visible from a very busy A road!

Can we have an end to this sort of comment, please?

I did not put the location on the thread as i was asked not to. Simple as that

This thread was started so that lke minded enthisiasts could see what i had found on one of my many ramblings.

The OP has given his reasons for posting the topic, let's stick to them please.

Thanks.

It looks like one of the deicing trailers that were converted from Bullied SUB trailers (the ones that ran with pre-war wooden bodied units until about 1960). I thought they'd all been scrapped......

I agree, it's a Bulleid, but it's either from a later 'All-steel' 4-SUB, or a 4-EPB.

The first (1941 built), wooden framed sets, Nos. 4101 - 4110, contained 11 compartment 3rd. (later 2nd.) class + 10 compartment Composite trailers. Distinguishing features of these, were that they had a narrow gutter at cant rail level and flat inner ends, i.e. non-corrugated.

Interesting to note, though, is that two of the opening doors are fitted with the recessed oval top-lights / vents, whereas the sealed-up doors still carry the earlier, flush fitted type. Also note, it's been fitted with 3rd rail collector beams and side buffers.

The livery is the Orange / White / Grey, initially carried by Railtrack.

Regards

I love the Militant, I have a bit of a soft spot for big AECs (and Scammel pinoeers too).

That parked on my drive in bright red would realy wind up my nosey naghbours!

Someone please sell it to me for £50!

Cheers

R

• RMweb Premium

I drive past the site on almost a weekly basis, I think the 73 has been there at least since the end of 2009 and the other rolling stock longer.

73 is visible in the autumn / winter when there is no foliage.

Didn't realise there was a footpath that ran alongside

I remember seeing one of these at Chiswick/Acton works (London Transport) but can't remember whether it was on the Bus or Underground works.

It was about 42 years ago so memory is a bit fuzzy :blink:

One was based outside Baker Street Underground Staion in the 70's

London Transport also had a number of similar, but smaller, AEC Matador breakdown cranes around this time.

• RMweb Premium

I too have found where this is, there is another thread on here about this stock. In deference to the OP I am not linking to it as it does have the location clearly given.

Headed South bound from where the stock is situated today (yes i know most of you know where this is).

Most of the trackbed from here is private or a wildlife conservation area so we stuck to footpaths that ran mostly parallel with the trackbed for about 4 miles and then came back.

For the bus fans among us, just about 600yds from where the stock lays, there are these Routemaster (RML's) in a yard.

post-7045-0-06992300-1303770240_thumb.jpg

post-7045-0-77289900-1303770265_thumb.jpg

If anyone is interested i will post some of the infrastructure ( mainly bridges ) on this route that are still intact

Cheers

John (nobby)

• RMweb Gold

(yes i know most of you know where this is).

Ths information is freely available on another forum complete with the name of the adjacent main road and local place name, so the "lets keep it a secret" must be an RMWeb thingy.

However in deference to your desire not to tell anyone, I too will join in this little secret that rings a bell

Interesting site, I too know where this, can't believe I drove along that road a number of times (including quite recently) and didn't notice the stock. I can understand owners relecutancy not to disclose location, bearing in mind prevalence of metal thieving and vandalism.

Re the buses, there is an airfield about 15 miles from there that uses a couple of old london Fleetlines as Hangar doors!

Until a couple of years ago there was a tracked personnel carrier parked about 30 yards away, adjacent to where the GC used to cross a bridleway. A wargaming firm/group used the old GC trackbed for their games at the weekends. I encountered them a few times when walking the dog and once asked them about the vehicle - it was theirs and was apparently in working order, though it didn't seem to have moved for years. I can only assume the helicopter bodies (there are two of them) are also theirs but I haven't seen the wargamers recently so haven't been able to ask.

Graham

Guest baldrick25

It is not only on disused lines that you find things of interest. Whilst pottering around the old GWR line from Snow Hill to Stourbridge today , at Lye station and not even in the 'undergrowth' was this collection of hardware:-

2011-05-03057.jpg

The girders appear to be part of the old footbridge, or perhaps the roof structure of the old GWR station building, which is now little more than a portacabin. There are point rodding components, supports for the rodding ( at the top of the picture) , and to the right of the image ( couldn't get it all in to show the identifiable detail) is a pile of blue bricks with the cross-hatch pattern typical of the platform surface. Just behind the recently erected security fencing at the top of the pic, is piles of the same platform bricks, bricks with a curved end typical of GWR station buildings ( See Stourbridge Jn to see what I mean) , bricks with the patterns on the surface, found around windows, roof ridge tiles that look very GWR, and loads more..

Anyone wanting a look , the bric-a-brac is to the north end of Lye station on the Stourbridge platform, in the 'flower beds' as were.

The approach road is still the old cobbles which should provide some inspiration for a road surface of GWR layout modellers-

2011-05-03080.jpg

what's the thing with the Guinness logo on it beside the buses. The roof angle looks weird and not very vehicle like form the photo angle

It looked like it was a trailer which converts in to a mobile exhibition unit, probably used at concerts, shows or similar

Archived