Hobbiton End

bridgiesimon

...I think that the urban sprawl of Ankh Morpork would be ideal, imagine Chester but with dirt, dwarfs and trolls!!...

So you mean Chatham*

*OK, insert town of choice to insult here ;)

hehehe, cassettes packed in the car already!!!

For those who are confused, A stayed at my mum's in North Devon the night before the show, around 70 miles from home. got up in the morning of the show to find I had left the casettes at hom so a 140 mile round trip for them so we could actually run the layout - not happy with myself!!!!

Back to using the packing check lists I use with Polpendra then!!!

Simon

• Like 1

We had a great day playing trains at Bideford, a super venue and seemed busy for most of the show. The workings for the water tank arm behaved ok, a few loco issues, possible as it was cold and the lasyout etc had been in th ecar overnoght but settled down as the day went on.

Best wishes

Simon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sedgemoor Rail was a great show, really enjoyed it and ended with the surprise of being presented with the Chairman's Shield for Best in Show!!

post-3347-0-12579200-1408911083.jpg

I tried to wander off with it but had to give it back, shame!!

Anyway, it seems that the more complete the layout looks, the more I find to add to the 'to do' list! A few ticked off recently including a new curtain, made for me by the mum of a friend. Russell, a mate of mine, also sorted out a couple of issues I was having with the servo power feeds, sources back to a failing phone charger unit being used for the feed. Now replaced and working really well.

This is all ready for me to sort out the mechanism for a second servo to open and close the door to the front hobbit hole, the others are way too deeply buried in polystyrene scenery to dig out for working doors etc!!

Anyway, a bit of a gap now with my N gauge layout before the next couple of shows with the Hobbits -

Forest of Dean Model Railway Club, Lydney - 27th and 28th September -  http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/9574-ForestofDeanModelRailwayClub_LydneyModelRailwayShow

Weymouth Model Railway Association - 1st - 2nd November - http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/9239-WeymouthModelRailwayAssociation_WeymouthModelRail2014

Best wishes
Simon

• Like 9

Thank you for your kind words, I did not really get much chance to wander at all, not helped by being in a side room but at least it stopped me spending money, hehehe.

Still lots to do, will try and keep the updates rolling as I work on the developments, your interest and comments are important to keep the motivation sometimes.

best wishes

Simon

• 1 month later...

aargh, done it again,no update for ages!!

Priority is to mention next weekend, our next show 'WEYMOUTH'

http://www.weymouthmra.org.uk/category/news-2/exhibitions/

Although they have listed Hobbton End as 009, oops!

Anyway, briefly, I decided to chop up part of the front as I though that the garden in front of the lower hobbit hole was too small for the modern garden obsessed Hobbit so a new garden area has been constructed fully terraced and planted out with flowers and vegies as well.

post-3347-0-28177900-1414257399.jpg

While searching through that Auction type place, I came across a set of sheepies and another of piggie wiggies that looked too good to not buy so I did -

(This piccie really shows up that I have not tidied up the mould line along the back of a couple piggies, ooer!!)

post-3347-0-88568700-1414257941.jpg

post-3347-0-36264600-1414257954.jpg

Lots of painting to do on these animals before thre show.

The problem then was where to put them. Out came the razor saw again and a piggie sty type place is in the process of being added - 

post-3347-0-17985400-1414257389.jpg

This will be surrounded with weaved willow style fencing made out of brass rod and fine wire. I am really pleased with it so far, this is the gate here -

post-3347-0-69210700-1414257365.jpg

am in the process of making woven willow style fencing around a new pig enclosure for some really great model pigs I acquired recently.

I am using brass rod with thin wire woven through it and am really pleased with the result so far.

• Like 7

Cheers, not totally my own thoughts. I saw a similar one on an On30 layout (I think) but the guiy had used cotton as the willow. I decided that as the fencing is at the front of the layout , it needed to be stronger so used the thin wire instead. Will add a couple of piccies later now it is painted.

I am off work thurs and fri for prep for the Weymouth show this weekend so will take piccies then as I will have added the new animals as well as a few platform lamps I bought on Sunday.

best wishes

Simon

Time for another update, lots been going on in the last day or so.

Under the boards first, we now have 4 most excellent gas lamps, 2 on the platform and one each outside the warehouse and the wine store. I have also now fitted a second servo, this time to operate the door to the front Hobbit hole. I will add a video of this sometime but not recorded it yet.

Up on top -

The piggie area now has a completed and painted fence around it and a family of future bacon sarnies fattening up.

post-3347-0-06371800-1414793411.jpg

Yep, need to touch up the black paint this evening ready for tomorrow. Also looks like the little piggie at the back needs to be sorted as his back legs are way off the ground.

A new chicken coop has also been made and added outside one of the little homes with chickens wandering around as well as a group of sheep, look like goats but listed as sheepies!

post-3347-0-46217800-1414793211.jpg

post-3347-0-27253000-1414793225.jpg

post-3347-0-11349500-1414793237.jpg

I am really pleased with these changes and think a few more animals are needed here and there, maybe rabbit etc.

With a bit of tarting up around the layout, I think I am all reday for tomorrow in Weymouth, hope to see some of you there.

Best wishes

Simon

post-3347-0-09884200-1414793270.jpg

• Like 3

I have now taken a few piccies of the layout with the room lights dimmed and the layout lights on -

First an overall view of the layout in the dim light of dusk, or something!

post-3347-0-73969800-1414794067.jpg

The platform lights, acquired from Kytes Lights at the Taunton show last weekend, a very good buy!!

post-3347-0-97678900-1414794077.jpg

Finally, an overall view from the far end of the layout

post-3347-0-72123300-1414794090.jpg

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 13