Hobbiton End

bridgiesimon

Lovely work Simon. This sort of detail really adds to your layout.

Yours is very much an exhibition layout and I think that the entertainment aspect for viewers in your layout is much more important that it would be for someone modeling a specific place and time.

Interesting vignettes really add a lot. At risk of generalizing, there is a lot of push-back on such things here on RMWeb, particularly regarding what are perceived as cliches (bus on a bridge, waving children on a bridge, etc) but your layout is in a different space.

In your case, giving the viewers interesting scenes besides the trains adds a lot of entertainment value. Keep the pictures coming as you progress. Hobbiton End is getting better and better.

Thank you for the encouragement and kind comments, most appreciated!

We have a show with the layout next weekend hence the additional work and a list of other developments through the coming months. A good list of exhibitions, posted earlier should encourage us to add new details/developments durting that time as I aim to have new stuff done for each show.

Best wishes

Simon

good point, I was thinking the same after spending time looking at youtube reviews. I have been looking at the Woodland scenics stuff though as that is not a melt and pour, it is a two part resin that you mix together before pouring in so would be cold. I do have a spare lid or 2 so will do a trial run first though just in case!

Simon

I used Faller water on my layout to make sea (picture here and a pond (pictures here.  

It comes as a transparent sheet with minor rippling and the advantage is that coloured backing can be put under it & the surface dry brushed to suit the kind of water depicted.  I also have a couple of ducks from Langley Castings on the pond if you look carefully!  

Interesting, I am trying a couple of different options based on sheets of acetate near the top, painted one side then varnish on tyhe other for the water surface. Will keep you all informed.

The options available seem bloomin expensive when I only have a small water tank to fill!!

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Interesting, I am trying a couple of different options based on sheets of acetate near the top, painted one side then varnish on tyhe other for the water surface. Will keep you all informed.

The options available seem bloomin expensive when I only have a small water tank to fill!!

Simon

Please excuse the simplistic approach, but have you thought of PVA?  Laid in layers and lightly stippled on top (or left millpond flat) can look very convincing; one of Allan Downes' tricks...

David

Simon - I don't know if you intend to add on any further buildings but I came across these Hobbitt-holes while chasing something else, and thought they may at least inspire, even if they are not useful in themselves there are around four on this page - I'm not sure of the scale but they are intended for gaming, so may well fit with your small people. the first appears to be a "set" the other 3 are "fronts" and much cheaper

http://www.ziterdes.de/ziterdes/en/neuheiten/index.php?neuheiten=true&we_lv_start_shoplistview=20

Re water - spread clear silicone bathroom caulk across the surface - it can be smooth or pullesd up int waves and ripples

Best

Jack

Edited by shortliner

Well, the layout is now all packed up ready for the Nailsea show tomorrow. Final checks and running session complete with all working which means at the show nothing will work and the locos will not run hehehe.

Just a few final painting tasks for this evening before sleepies and off we go, hopefully will get to see some of you there?

Best wishes

Simon

Hi Simon,

I was pleased to see Hobbiton End for real at the Nailsea show, and enjoyed our chat.

I had forgotten that I had seen and commented on this thread back in 2011,

I think I must have had too many jugs of cider since then !

(I still think it is all a bit bonkers though!

cheers

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simon,

Still think this is great; still makes me laugh too.

Since most of our model railways are, in fact, fantasy then it seems only fair to take this along on the tangent that you have.  If we can have fictional places and railways then why not populate them with fictional species such as hobbits, dwarves and wargs.

Will your next project continue this theme or perhaps take railway modelling where " ... no man has gone before ... "?

Once again, brilliant work.

Regards,

Alex.