Hobbiton End

bridgiesimon

• 2 weeks later...

Loads of development has been happenning on the layout recently, I have constructed all sorts of new wagons and some new coaches ready for the next show - https://sites.google.com/site/traclubsite/2011-railex-report

Thorncombe Model Railway show, this is why I have not been adding to many piccies as I would rather show the layout with the new stuff then add piccies here afterwards. Anyway, I better go asi have a full day of work on the layotu ahead of me, couplings first!!

Later dudes

Simon

Only a few more days now, I have been very busy with stock, couplings adn scenics - more static grass to lay this evening!

only one frustration at the moment, I have fitted accessory swtiches to the point motors wired to the frogs and have found one motor has failed!!! blomin frustrating as I visited the local model shop after work last night before finding the issue and my wife dropped in today to find they did not have points motors in stock, aaaargh!!!!!

Will have to try another place tomorrow otherwise it may be a panic fitting Saturday morn from one of the traders at the show. Better look at the list of who is there in case I need one.

Simon

Final panioc push this evening before packing up ready to go to the show in the morning, Seb (son) and I are really looking forward to the Thorncombe show and playing with this layoiut all day, fingers crossed for a fun day with it all working ok!

I am going to take my camera as well so will add a batch of piccies to show the new developments sometime over the next few days for those interested but not attending a very friendly show!

Best wishes

Simon

Thank you for posting the piccies, they look great.

We really enjoyed the show, as usual it was very friendly and relaxing. The layout was really well received by other exhibitors and the public with lots of positive feedback helped by the fact that it actiually ran rather better than last time out.

I did not get chance to take many piccies my self but they would not have been as good as those anyway but now the layout is back up here at home, I will take some piccies of the latest stock etc and get a full update onto here for all those interested that did not get to the show.

best wishes

Simon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now that things have settled down a little bit, I have taken some update piccies to add here.

First the newer stock items -

I am working on building another steam loco for the layout, this one is running on a Graham Farish 57xx loco underneath with only the cab removed. I have built a new body onto the grafar body so keeping the body/chassis fixings. The body has a pen tube for the boiler as well as all sorts of bits from the spares box and a veneer cab. Note the tender matching the previous machines for consistenc through the fleet.

post-3347-0-76362100-1385053600.jpg

The Pullhobbit saloons are now up and runing adn with a matching luggage van wiith runs between them

post-3347-0-74004400-1385053621.jpg

post-3347-0-44877900-1385053629.jpg

I am really pleased with these although being so wide, they are a pain to get on the track, ramp required!!! I also made a booboo with the chimney stack making it too tall and the first time I ran it, it ploughe straight into the tunnel mouth and then fell over so had to be shortened.

I have completed the ballast train now with weathering and loads although these need sorting as I can see the foam through the ballast, oops!

post-3347-0-22278300-1385053547.jpg

Coal train has now expanded from a single wagon to 4

post-3347-0-60116800-1385053556.jpg

I also built a batch of crates out of blocks of wood with strips of veneer added to give the plank details and these have been loaded on the flat wagons.

post-3347-0-49950000-1385053609.jpg

I am also in the middle of constructing some 4 wheel vans for the layout with peaked roofs to match the other stock, just require some door details and weathering before going into service.

post-3347-0-65834800-1385053565.jpg

Finally for now, are the trees, 2 large ones complete with greenie stuff at last, and one very cool apple tree which I have plans for incorporating a ladder, some blokeys and baskets at some point.

post-3347-0-53595300-1385053585.jpg

post-3347-0-77007000-1385053530.jpg 

post-3347-0-03396800-1385053540.jpg

Anyway that is a taster to show that things are progressing with the project.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 5

Terrific stuff Simon. I love the way this is coming along.

The Pullhobbit saloons are now up and runing adn with a matching luggage van wiith runs between them

I am really pleased with these although being so wide, they are a pain to get on the track, ramp required!!!

I look forward to see the Pullhobbit saloons with full lining - they are progressing very nicely. Lining is really going to make them pop. (Understanding they are a work in progress, the windows need a frame just like you have done with the hobbit holes.)

The wagons all look really good. I like the flats with crates very much.

Finally for now, are the trees, 2 large ones complete with greenie stuff at last, and one very cool apple tree which I have plans for incorporating a ladder, some blokeys and baskets at some point.

I like the apple trees (and your plans for them - that will be a really nice touch, perhaps a jug of cider resting by the baskets too?) I think perhaps the party tree needs more foliage (and possibly more fine branches) to pull it off perfectly. It really is a visual focal point for the whole layout. Edited by Ozexpatriate

Thanks for the comments esp the vidz, enjoyed watching them!

The new film looks amazing, I am counting down the days til I can go and see it!!

Yes, the coaches will get lining and frames around the windows. I had a show and wanted to get them mainly complete to run during the day.

After 3 weeks of solid model making each evening I am planning on a break for a while with my sister's wedding next weekend before getting back on with them.

best wishes

Simon