Hobbiton End

bridgiesimon

Bloomin ell, just thought I would add a few comments to the thread and noticed how long ago my last post way, ooer!!!

Anyway, yes I have seen the second film, twice, and it is AWESOME!!!

Not really very much developed on the layout although the 4 wheel vans are now complete and I have built a set of 3 short bogie coaches as another rake for the layout, piccie to follow.

Also not added to the pullhobbit coaches, better get on with it as there are exhibitions coming up, speaking of which, here is the latest list of shows I will, hopefully be attending with Hobbiton End -

Nailsea                                                      15-16th March

Monmouth                                                   13th April

Ilfracombe                                                  19th April

Bideford                                                    25th May

Shepton Mallet                                             14-15th June

Barnstaple                                                  26th July

Weymouth                                                  1-2 November

So maybe will see you there.

I have a plan of jobs over the next few months to ensure that developments are, hopefully noticeble between shows.

Best wishes

Simon

Edited by bridgiesimon
  • Like 2

For anyone interested, the Fonts link in post 147 does not seem to be available any more but I have found the following-

http://www.thehutt.de/tolkien/fonts.html

I am looking at having some nameplates etched for the motive power, possibly using the 'Kelt' font as it looks great but is simple enough to be etched and should be readable at the size it will be required to be.

Anyway, what do you think guys?

Simon

• Like 1

Kelt to me looks a little too 'official notice' for name plates, Viking being a bit softer

I could be being swayed in this thought by the sample text

It depends how the drivers / railway view their locomotives, if they see them as loved locomotives or just assets

Edited by Black Sheep

I think the Kelt font works fine. Depending on capitalization, the aesthetics of these fonts may depend on what 'words' you put on the sign. Some will look better than others. Kelt might not look very nice in all caps.

So long as it is something visitors can read and feel like the recognize as pertaining to Middle Earth I think you're fine. I'd mix it up though. Different fonts for road signposts versus station signs versus the locomotives.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Another update, I know almost at record rate for me!

one small ladder made up and in place, needs painting and weathering as well as the apple crate by it, I also need to find a suitable figure for the scene.

post-3347-0-35414800-1393789668.jpg

here is the new rake of coaches recently completed, not even had chance to run them yet but the paint is dry, hehe.

post-3347-0-51180000-1393789699.jpg

I have also painted the fascia at last, this piccie shows it after the first coat, another has been added since so the colour is better. (the yellow strips are the velcro for hanging the curtain by the way)

post-3347-0-24640700-1393789683.jpg

Those main trees do need lots more branches and foilage, too sparce at the moment.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 5

I would like your opinion again on another little addition I have been thinking about, the water tower -

I have made up a quick mock up of a water tank mounted by the headshunt and would like to know

whether you think this is a good location for it and if it looks appropriate in size/shape. Obviously would have a proper frame etc and am thinking about an open topped wooden channel across from the rock face opposite similar to - http://www.fao.org/docrep/x5672e/x5672e02.gif

Anyway, here is the mock up -

post-3347-0-93942400-1393866343.jpg

I look forward to your comments

Best wishes

Simon

Something like this? Obviously no plan to mount it on a grey box!

post-3347-0-95437900-1393872378.jpg

Another thought I had, turned at work recently but the idea of marking it out etc makes it a big job but could be worth trying. Alternatively maybe time to look for a resin barrell of a suitable size.

Anyway, as the camera was out, I took a few more piccies, really need to sort out how to use it properly!

post-3347-0-98543100-1393872514.jpg

Another overall view of the layout

post-3347-0-84866000-1393872483.jpg

The Blue machine shunts the cool store siding

post-3347-0-79312600-1393872502.jpg

Another view of the new rake sat in the station

A few of the details already in place.

post-3347-0-96209600-1393872493.jpg

The memorial to the Ringbearer, Frodo

post-3347-0-45320800-1393872522.jpg

The terrace of hobbit dwellings along the back of the scene

post-3347-0-51236000-1393872538.jpg

The town band who welcome in each train to the station.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 13

That does look good, Simon, but I agree with Black Sheep that I had seen it as upright.  

Anyway, what a lovely model!   Despite playing a lot of Role Playing Games as a youth I was never particularly into LOTR, although The Hobbit was on the childhood reading list.  However the world of Hobbit Holes was always very attractive and I really wanted to dig one in the garden.

Yes, I think you want a wide, open half barrel - a bit like a big, old-school hot tub, perhaps sitting on a dressed stone base matching the stone work in the hobbit hole chimney behind it. Since it is in a cut I would extend the imaginary pre-cut slope to the water barrel side of the line and have the barrel sit on the down slope.

Here's my suggestion:

post-1819-0-69528000-1393956839.jpg

Perhaps it could do double duty as a source for water for a washer-hobbit doing laundry in a tub underneath.

It definitely needs a duck floating in in. Perhaps a rickety ladder and some mischievous hobbit youngsters splashing each other (or the washer-hobbit below). This would be fun to model.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

This is why I love RM Web, you guys are awesome!!

Thank you Ozexpatriate, I really like your idea so will be starting to scratchbuld something like that, yep, got to have a duck in it - agree with that as well!!

Just found a yoghurt pot the exact right shape and wil try lining it with strips for the detail - http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/9Z5WlIgKpjY/hqdefault.jpg

A little on the large size but possible though!

Simon

My lady has hit the jackpot for me - one perfectly shaped pot for the water tank!!!

post-3347-0-64079800-1394040746.jpg

post-3347-0-20196500-1394040765.jpg

At least all those bloomin bottles everywhere have served a use, well the lid from one has anyway.

Just sorting out the covering, possibly start with a printed trial but would be good from veneer though depending if it can be shaped to fit ok.

Simon

• Like 4

This has now developed a little further -

post-3347-0-07988300-1394048515.jpg

post-3347-0-42730700-1394048503.jpg

As mentioned before, the tank will be clad in planking and with iron straps around it then modelled mostly full of water and a duck swimmng in it!

Loads of scenic revamping will be needed in the area to fit the tank and platform as well as adding a pathway from the path around the end of the layout down to it.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 3

Now that is looking lovely!  Any water monsters in LOTR who could have a touch of tentacle sticking out?

Indeed there is the watcher in the water.

There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of the world, but by the light of Ilúvatar, surely not in the Shire after the great the year of plenty?

For those who do not know of such creatures, the watcher in the water -

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2210329a_99811499006_WatcherWaterCFC01_873x627.jpg

Am now having a go at adding a paper printed timber planking to the barrell. not sure that this si the right way to go in a larger scale but worth a try adn costs nothing but time.

Simon

Another update, I am really pleased with the tank, I nabbed a wooden planking texture via google and then matched/repeated it to make a full sheet of planking taking care to minimise obvious repeated shapes. This was then cut to around the right size and then I cut up between each plank leaving only a 5mm strip at the top like a long comb thingy. The top strip was glued around the top of the tank follwed by the planks vertically one at a time slightly overlapping them.

I then found some very thin black masking tape, really old cos when I tried to use it, the sticky was not working so had to glue it on instead for the metal strapping.

Anyway, overall I am happy with how it is looking -

post-3347-0-75122900-1394129725.jpg

post-3347-0-23863900-1394129750.jpg

post-3347-0-99448000-1394129737.jpg

On the plan now is -

painting the interior

adding water

sourcing and adding a duck/birdie thingy

fixing it into the scenery

digging in a pathway down from the main drag to the platform

blending in the vegetation

making up a chute to cross over the railway 

sorting a watering pipe thingy for the locomotives

Anyway, please let me know what you think so far.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 9