airfix/dapol tank wagons

• RMweb Gold

Jon

A fascinating library of detailed phots on the subject many thanks for sharing

That looks like a single crank taking the motion of the brake shaft to either end of the chassis via a single shaft - but is still unclear to me how that translates in to the push/pull action required on each axle's brake shoes?

Kind regards

Phil

Hi Phil,

Hopefully this explianation wont decend into waffle. There is a single shaft that leads from the main brake cross shaft to a crank which is between the vacumm cylinders. This sends out shafts to both the clasp brakes but on one side (the other side of the vacuum clinders) there is another crank that reverses the direction the shaft travels in. You can just about make out both of the cranks in the close up picture of the vacuum cylinders in post #23. Otherwise as you've noted one set of brakes would be pulled off when the other set is pushed on. The brake arrangemant is basically the BR 8 shoe clasp brake with a slightly different arrangement of cranks and different brackets. The picture below might help? In this case the two cranks between the main brake cross shaft and the clasp brakes are on the same side rather than either side.

post-13847-0-56132800-1368739274.jpg

edited for clarity (hopefully!)

Justin

Edited by jjnewitt
  • Like 3

ive made the safety hangar pieces from some thinner wire, tiny holes drilled into the chassis and Araldited in. they dont touch the brakes, I was tempted to solder them to them but they do hang down clear of them.

also the black tube that runs from side to side for the oil to be filled/unfilled was from a Biro.

a lot of it you dont see when you turn it up the right way but there at least there is something there.

post-27-0-33639800-1368747474.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil,

Hopefully this explianation wont decend into waffle. There is a single shaft that leads from the main brake cross shaft to a crank which is between the vacumm cylinders. This sends out shafts to both the clasp brakes but on one side (the other side of the vacuum clinders) there is another crank that reverses the direction the shaft travels in. You can just about make out both of the cranks in the close up picture of the vacuum cylinders in post #23. Otherwise as you've noted one set of brakes would be pulled off when the other set is pushed on. The brake arrangemant is basically the BR 8 shoe clasp brake with a slightly different arrangement of cranks and different brackets. The picture below might help? In this case the two cranks between the main brake cross shaft and the clasp brakes are on the same side rather than either side.

attachicon.gifF Clasp chassis 3 002.JPG

edited for clarity (hopefully!)

Justin

Got it! Many thanks Justin

Anyone who knows Mike will understand.

When I asked about the chassis at York  (This year...) the wry smile  I recieved }-) said more than many words... 

And I still owe you chaps some Freightliner pix. 

Too busy playing with their noisy hoover.....

Wonder if they'll come and do my Living room???   On second thoughts... no. The thought of that lot in maids uniforms is just too much to handle...

Back on Topic. Buffers for the Airfix tanks. Class B: Oleos, Class A: Dowtys. All apart from the prototypes which for some reason were the opposite.

Porcy

Edited by Porcy Mane

the RT models etched ladders and walkways arrived today, after deciphering the strangely worded instructions I made a start.

The instructions advise to fill in the 6 grooves for the plastic walkway, so I did that with plasticard and filled them smooth with green putty.

you then drill holes above these filled in grooves so that the etched folded up brackets rest in the hole,I soldered the brackets for strength and I found it best to dab them slightly with the soldering iron so they melted in.

post-27-0-24276700-1368804286_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-50698700-1368804344_thumb.jpg

then I carefully soldered the etched walkways to the brackets and glued the ladder on, the ladder is very flimsy so I will do any final tinkering of its curved shape when its dry.

post-27-0-55740700-1368804778_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-68181700-1368804596_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Im not sure where you mean, if someone could point them out to me ill do them :)

Hello Michael,

have a look at the first photo in post 21, they are the light coloured patches behind the tank supports. 5 thou. plasticard should do for them.

OzzyO.

:jester: 

Would you like the phone answered, emails replied to or a tank wagon chassis?

Mike.

Do you think everyone wants to talk to you?. Let's have a tank chassis....

TFIC  :jester:  :jester: :jester:  

Dave Franks

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Would you like the phone answered, emails replied to or a tank wagon chassis?

Mike.

Switch the speaker phone on and then you will have two spare hands, type with one and design the etch with the other... simples.

(BTW you don't have to sweep up too do you  :jester: )

Onwards unto the breach dear friends.

Perchance to gaze upon etches of temptation and delight....

Verily my Lord, your customers dribble in profusion...