Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

Just found this thread and spent quite a few weeks trawling through all of it. Truly inspiring, thanks everyone for posting. My main interest is in wagons used in the East Anglian sugar beet traffic during the early 60s.

Another follower

Martyn

These are my 16 tonners in EM, almost finished. Airfix with Masokits W irons and bits from MJT, Mainly Trains etc. I wanted these to be work stained but not too battered, probably need a bit more work, more will be built so the finish can be varied. One of these will end up with a coal load so will become more stained. All loads are removable.

20201023_154145.jpg.4deda7102512f75959bbafb5bee210af.jpg

I also have this model for coal traffic, a Parkside kit, must be over 15 years old. The track will be inlaid eventually.

20201023_154204.jpg.662ec4a1c6c09843beee5cbf8be552c0.jpg

I found this thread whilst searching for information for the models, they are quite an enthralling subject all of their own.

Martyn

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Bit too blobby I reckon; the actual lumps and bumps are more sort random, sharp, and rough, the result of dropping big hard lumps into the wagons out of hoppers.  You'd see them on MGR wagons as well sometimes.  On an etched brass side you could recreate them very effectively by attacking the inside with something like an old screwdriver, but plastic would just crack.  For an empty wagon the dent needs to be replicated on the inside surface as we, and show a similar shape.

My best idea so far, and I'm not going to do it, would be to gently brutalise a smooth sheet of ali foil and use it as an overlay.  I model 1948-58, and the majority of steel minerals were still fairly new at this time, so there would have been less damage.  Possibly a slope sider was more prone to damage from vertically dropped lumps of geology than a vertical sider, some coal would have struck the sloping sides directly rather than rolling into it from the top of the heap.

Another idea I have had, which I might actually attempt one day, is to build up a 7 planker with angle iron frame and real wooden planks made from real trees, in the hope of replicating the 'bowed out' effect that these wagons displayed in their later years, and even having broken planks!  I've already cut one or two about a bit with missing planks, or painted replacements.  I have childhood memories of looking at coal trains from bridges and being fascinated by the wagon sides seeming to wave in the breeze, even at 15mph on the Roath Branch.  

14 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Bit too blobby I reckon; the actual lumps and bumps are more sort random, sharp, and rough, the result of dropping big hard lumps into the wagons out of hoppers.  You'd see them on MGR wagons as well sometimes.  On an etched brass side you could recreate them very effectively by attacking the inside with something like an old screwdriver, but plastic would just crack.  For an empty wagon the dent needs to be replicated on the inside surface as we, and show a similar shape.

My best idea so far, and I'm not going to do it, would be to gently brutalise a smooth sheet of ali foil and use it as an overlay.  I model 1948-58, and the majority of steel minerals were still fairly new at this time, so there would have been less damage.  Possibly a slope sider was more prone to damage from vertically dropped lumps of geology than a vertical sider, some coal would have struck the sloping sides directly rather than rolling into it from the top of the heap.

Another idea I have had, which I might actually attempt one day, is to build up a 7 planker with angle iron frame and real wooden planks made from real trees, in the hope of replicating the 'bowed out' effect that these wagons displayed in their later years, and even having broken planks!  I've already cut one or two about a bit with missing planks, or painted replacements.  I have childhood memories of looking at coal trains from bridges and being fascinated by the wagon sides seeming to wave in the breeze, even at 15mph on the Roath Branch.  

Pointy soldering iron applied with extreme care from the inside? Only appropriate for loaded wagons, though, as the inside surface would be a mess.

And no, I haven't tried it, nor do I intend to. 

Edited by PatB
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Bit of a conundrum here. 

This oddity came with a box load of rather tatty made up Airfix minerals from the usual 'under the table' (rubbish!) cardboard box dealer's stock. There is no small top side door. It's slightly shorter and slightly less wide but has the Airfix type of ribbed underside of the floor. One end is very different to the normal Airfix version. Could it be an H0 kit, but who ever made any such  kits?  Any clues please?

20201029_203237.jpg.8166eb40828b3bd53e0361ff404d17d0.jpg20201030_141119.jpg.da69dfa1ab65f197dd42a650254c71b0.jpg

I've rummaged through the scrap rubbish box and found this, still on original frame. This is what I was thinking of. I'm not sure it is the Graham Farish one I immediately thought of. It is flat underneath and has been repainted. There are no origin markings. 

CRI02332.JPG.8df6eb81c0aaa9659152c20e21894530.JPG

CRI02333.JPG.0be56bd0fce18a0c5eb8554a86312727.JPG

CRI02336.JPG.f77dcab0b3c25932a37e0833465cbf93.JPG

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

A quick question for the aficionados

I am building a model of Paisley St James in 2mm fs.

One of the traffic flows through PSJ, would have been delivery runs from Pressed Steel at Linwood.

Pressed Steel built c 68,500 16t Minerals.

image.png.25311927518c8c68de34530843889d17.png

Image Copyright Graces Guide

What brakes would have been fitted when new?

The reason for asking, is that I have an urge to upset the rivet counters, by running  a full train of unweathered, ex works consecutively numbered 16 T minerals on delivery from Linwood to wherever they went.

The firs  10 have just landed on my workbench, courtesy of Stephen Harris.

As they were built unfitted, I am guessing Double sided independent, but I would like confirmation, if possible.

Regards, and thanks for the help.

Ian

• Like 1