Waverley's Most Wanted

'CHARD

Guest Max Stafford

I do like that bit of historical irony. I suspect Mr Lawson is a long-term friend of the line and he may have seen his role in returning the track as repaying a debt of honour.

Dave.

Aye Dave, as you said before it was like repaying debt of honour - he did say something along those lines.

My brother has just reminded me that somewhere there is video footage of the convoy heading to Whitrope, with Jim driving the leading lorry. It may take some digging out though as most of my stuff is in storage at the mo!

Hasn't RCAHMS got some Ale footage? I know the rolling pastures of that lesser-spotted stretch of line fairly well from my alt-WR make-believe modelling, but I feel sure I've seen actual footage of the structure somewhere too*. I'll have a hunt around.

* train curving into view from centre-left, Maiden Paps in background, a stand of manicured trees, and the unflustered A3 slows for its Belses call. Or something like that :P

EDIT: well my picture memory ain't bad when I just compared it to the map at this link, but it ain't on RCAHMS, although here's the record of the four-arch structure: http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/284100/details/ale+water+viaduct/

Good question, Bruce. The BBC website is resolutely giving nothing away about the content, other than the aforementioned Mr M Bragg (of another thread on here) is presenting it. I for one will be staking a claim to the decent TV in this gaff to 'enjoy' the prog, not sure that 'enjoy' is entirely the right word mind you. I probably need a word that describes how it feels to gain perverse satisfaction from picking a painful scabby knee.

BBC 2 Wednesday 28 September 6.30 pm ... Reel Britain: Beeching.

Waverley Route???

Well, you're a close one!

What great footage, unseen, by me at least, of the coffin being pushed down the platform. The headboard on D5131 made an appearance, and a great case was suggested for the social importance of community railways by Pete W.

Melyvn B was a good anchor too, he has a real soft spot for the romance of rail travel.

Will reprise that on I-player when it's accessible.

• RMweb Gold

Damn the BBC, they still won't offer iPlayer TV shows abroad. While I can understand it for sporting events where they sell the TV rights to foreign broadcasters, I struggle to see how depriving us expats of social commentary like this series is protecting the license fee. Which, of course, I paid willingly for many years...

I didn't know what the make-up of the programme was until I watched it tonight. What you saw of me was the distillate of around 20 minutes with Lord Bragg and 25 with an interviewer. Incidentally it was shot at Preston (not Sheringham!) where I was interviewed for the Beeching programme while the BBC did the main show on the Pal's regiments. Hence some geographical confusion.

Bruce

How many half truths and how many red herrings?

The timber movement was in the BURCo plans as a way to get extra revenue.

A private company carried out trials re the loading of timber. Not directly BR or BURCo.

Bernard

The timber handling equipment which was tried out at Longtown by Powell Dyffryn Ltd was organised by BURC and the necessary works paid for by BURC.

roygraham

• 5 weeks later...

Nice to see it in colour, after seeing the B&W one earlier ... just goes to show what's lacking at most stations nowadays. Although kept clean & tidy in most respects there's none of that "personal touch" anymore. Gala must have been a highlight of the route.

According to Bill Peacock's "Border Railways Remembered" book, in 1956 Galashiels together with Belses, Hassendean, Melrose, Riddings Junction & Shankend was awarded 1st class in the Best Kept Station awards (winning £7.10s) ... 2nd class (£6) went to Newcastleton & St. Boswells ... 3rd class (£4.10s) to Kershopefoot.

• 3 weeks later...

In 1964, Derby Sulzers relates this gen: "Late July into early August found the Waverley route between Carlisle and Longtown in use for Kingmoor crew training on a number of Type 1 & 2 machines. In use were D8114/8120/8122 from Polmadie and D7581 from Carlisle, in a number of cases the specials were doubleheaded."

In 1963 Derby had constructed the first Class 25s to the neater body style, the first five were built with steam heat boilers, and thus were perhaps the most distinctive class members of all. Do we know that any traversed the route? Well yes we already did, records indicate that amazingly D5233, D5236 and D5237 all appeared on the route. But we had only heard rumours that one had ventured down the Langholm branch. Rumours, that is, until now. Image 2998 on this site http://www.langholmpicturearchive.com clearly shows one of the five rare birds standing at Gilnockie with the Langholm branch train.

In 1964, Derby Sulzers relates this gen: "Late July into early August found the Waverley route between Carlisle and Longtown in use for Kingmoor crew training on a number of Type 1 & 2 machines. In use were D8114/8120/8122 from Polmadie and D7581 from Carlisle, in a number of cases the specials were doubleheaded."

You know that article I emailed you, it had this within it:

"Training runs had taken place with class 27s D5384, D5411, D5382 and D5387 from Cricklewood West & Leicester Midland depots in April & May 1964, each double headed with class 20s D8074, D8070 (twice) and D8122 from Eastfield & Polmadie."

Now take a look at the Derby Sulzers page and spot the possible issues .... was it April/May or was it July/August ? ... and what about the loco numbers (cl.20) ... the gen I got was from RCTS and was quite specific ... so where did 8114 & 8120 come from or did 8074 & 8070 get seen as different locos? Or did extra training runs take place after the April/May turns that weren't seen by the RCTS regular spotters?

I need a head scratching emoticon!

I reckon there were several driver training episodes, and it would not surprise me if all the above mentioned examples didn't show up at Longtown at some point. When the quote mentions 'specials' I reckon we may actually be talking about pairs of light engines, driven from the Type 1 in one direction and the Type 2 back, to familiarize crew with two for the price of one. I wouldn't be surprized if they returned via Mossband either.

There are only a handful of 20s known to have traversed the route, in whole or part. And I suspect the majority were at the Carlisle end, straying no further than Newcastleton on the freight trip, or - as appears here - Longtown on driver training. I'd love to know of any traincrew that might remember this period and these workings.

Oh that's an incredible little cluster you've found there, mate.

In the one of Liddel Viaduct the long-levelled and de-kinked A6357 can just be discerned in the background too. The vantage point for this classic:

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=29143 and this moneyshot: http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=29084

EDIT: what is meant by The Scudd, I wonder? It looks like it could be a DLW but it's hard to make out. Nice late period mixed rake stood at The Holm's Up platform, too, and the goods yard shots are tantalizing polaroids*

* Arctic piles

EDIT: what is meant by The Scudd, I wonder? It looks like it could be a DLW but it's hard to make out. Nice late period mixed rake stood at The Holm's Up platform, too, and the goods yard shots are tantalizing polaroids*

* Arctic piles

I'm amazed that have you been interested in the Waverley Route for years and never heard reference to the Scudd?! Even John Hibbs in his report gives it mention.

Bruce.

Guest Max Stafford

Bruce. I have to confess that I was unaware of the Scudd moniker too! :blush_mini:

It predates common cultural knowledge of the infamous missile so what is the origin, I think we need to be told!

In other news, I was talking yesterday with a local guy, recently retired from the railway who was a passed fireman at Kingmoor from '64 and has fired 60041 and 60100 over Whitrope among various other beasts. He also told me that he and his driver actually got a 9F into the curvy Longtown complex! Additionally he provided a snippet about the Parkhouse/Harker workers' trains that I was previously unaware of. It seems that after the outward journey, the stock would spend the day stabled in a siding at Lyneside before making the return journey. I feel that this man will be the source of much more fascinating information and plan to take him for a couple of pints soon to hear some more old stories of note.

I reckon you should join us Bruce!

Dave.

Archived