Waverley's Most Wanted

'CHARD

The sun was very low as I waited for this: http://www.scot-rail...o/scaled/10751/

By the time the consist went past the temperature had plummeted ... 0°K was a complete guess on my part, but it was so cold I was only guessing ... by the time I got back to my car it had warmed up considerably as the temp gauge in there said 0°C, so a full 273.15°K temperature rise ... amazing!

We call that the Bovril effect in my neck o the woods

• 7 months later...

In terms of most wanted there's a very interesting discussion on the yahoo groups crchat about Stainton and Kingmoor with a great deal of information about signalling. Turns out there was never a signal box at Stainton, that was a surprise to me, but thats what happens when you make assumptions.

Colin

In terms of most wanted there's a very interesting discussion on the yahoo groups crchat about Stainton and Kingmoor with a great deal of information about signalling. Turns out there was never a signal box at Stainton, that was a surprise to me, but thats what happens when you make assumptions.

Colin

Fascinating - so what nature was the crossing, surely not ungated, as it intersects a country lane to Stainton village? Was there just a keeper's cottage like Fauldmoor, and is that the basis of the surviving building - now much extended into a des res?

Guest Max Stafford

There's a more modern bungalow at Stainton today by the entrance to Mickey Douglas's scrappy. I believe it stands on the site of the crossing keeper's cottage.

Dave.

Somewhere in the ether, questions were circulating about public and private sidings on the route. I found the list below among my copious notes this afternoon. I think many of the lower case entries relate to sidings and spurs. There are plenty on here that I've never researched properly or adequately.... (please note, spellings are as culled from the source)

ETC Edinburgh to Carlisle Line

6.19 MILLERHILL

6.23 junction with Roslin line

7.63 Glen Esk Junction with GDB

8.00 ESKBANK

8.25 Hardengreen Junction with PBA (8.25) and Smeaton line

9.03 DALHOUSE

9.41 Newbattle

9.73 Murderdean

10.26 West Bryans

11.49 Arniston

12.05 GOREBRIDGE

12.17 Vogrie

12.65 FUSHIEBRIDGE

16.05 TYNEHEAD

18.00 Falahill

19.13 HERIOT

19.49 Hangingshaw quarry

22.55 FOUNTAINHALL

26.62 STOW

28.58 Bowshank

29.72 BOWLAND BRIDGE

32.50 Kilnknowe Junction with PBA (44.48)

33.00 Sanderson And Murray's siding

33.12 Paterson's siding

33.23 Paterson's siding

33.53 GALASHIELS

34.51 junction with SKK

36.29 Darnick

37.27 MELROSE

38.49 Newstead

39.27 Ravenswood Junction with RWR (29.26)

40.55 ST BOSWELLS

40.79 Kelso Junction with KLO (40.79/33.49)

43.59 Greenend

45.23 BELSES

46.64 Standhill

48.53 HASSENDEAN

52.69 junction with goods depot lines

52.77 HAWICK

53.01 Hawick goods depot

56.66 STOBS

59.77 SHANKEND

63.65 Lime Kiln Edge

65.78 RICCARTON

66.07 Riccarton Junction with BDC (40.62)

69.42 STEEL ROAD

72.33 Hermitage Foot

74.07 NEWCASTLETON

77.14 KERSHOPEFOOT

81.02 Peter's Crook

81.56 PENTON

84.22 RIDDINGS and junction with RLB (0.00)

85.34 Moat Quarry

86.37 SCOTCH DYKE

88.59 LONGTOWN and junction with GJH (0.00)

90.62 Fauldmoor

91.56 LINESIDE

93.74 HARKER

95.40 Kingmoor

95.69 Stainton Junction with BSN (0.00)

96.78 Port Carlisle Junction with PCB2 (0.40) and SLH (0.47)

I've looked through most of the books and through my own collection but am struggling to find a photo of the old "Refreshment Rooms" sign from Riccarton ..... has anyone got one that I could have a copy of? Note that it's not the later one that had the "Riccarton Grocery Branch ... " etc on it, got loads of that one!

Looking at getting recreated section drawn up to show along with the following that WRHA has just had donated, the remaining section from the original sign from "The Refresh" that closed on 28th May 1951 - as such being a remarkable survivor.

I believe it to have originally said:

RICCARTON

JUNCTION

CO-OPERATIVE SOCIETY

REFRESHMENT

ROOMS

refresh.jpg

Another request:

Does anyone have the full consist for the last train?

All I've got at the mo is the loco (Peak 60, Lytham St Annes) and the BG (E80834) .... anyone know the remaining carriage numbers?

So near, yet so far. Sorry, Matt.

post-5524-0-01271900-1347654584.jpg post-5524-0-69646000-1347654594.jpg

Bruce

Anybody on here modelling limping Brits in the dying days of steam on the line?

Whilst hunting out RO reports of 70022 Tornado on 14th Nov '67 I chanced upon this report from the previous week which makes for interesting reading:

"The main event during November was the appearance of 70011 Hotspur (12A) on the first portion of the 16.57 Carlisle-Edinburgh Waverley on 7th November. The reason for the train being in two portions was the very late running of the 09.50 St Pancras-Glasgow Central which conveys two through coaches to Edinburgh. The Carlisle portion was sent forward on the normal timings, with the London portion following later in the evening.

Hotspur performed reasonably well to Edinburgh whence it immediately set out light for Carlisle, but was in trouble descending Whitrope failing completely at Newcastleton and was conveyed from there to Carlisle on the front of the 21.30 Millerhill-Oldham class 4 freight."

"The main event during November was the appearance of 70011 Hotspur (12A) on the first portion of the 16.57 Carlisle-Edinburgh Waverley on 7th November. The reason for the train being in two portions was the very late running of the 09.50 St Pancras-Glasgow Central which conveys two through coaches to Edinburgh.

A mere 48 hours after the horrific Hither Green derailment: I don't think I would have appreciated fast running in that particular week. The system was probably in meltdown with TSRs-a-plenty. Truly 1967-9 was the nadir of the railways in the UK?

• 3 weeks later...

I think one can safely say that picture is absolutely frothtastic, I will never tire of Barnes viaduct. The whole composition has stirred all manner of strong sensations.

With the exception of the two famous shots (on Railscot) of the pilot attaching at Hawick (blue Clayton to green BRCW Type 2), this is the only picture to have surfaced so far of the afternoon up mails. Excellent and a big thank you from here.

Some LHCS identification is probably in order, and the second van is immediately of interest, an LMS pattern B perhaps?

(would you mind if it became my workplace monitor background?)

Guest tony graham

I've just had an STI, nice picture.

I don't know if one "froths" over a Clayton hauling a type 2 and eight coaches/vans on Barnes Viaduct in 1968, but here goes:

post-5524-0-73557400-1349435164.jpg

Another from my X-files.

Bruce

Someone help me with Tony's STI ~ I Googled it and perhaps I ought not to have! :mad_mini:

post-5524-0-26116500-1349451590_thumb.jpg

This is a similar combination at Hawick with D5318 after the Clayton the same week in 1968.

Both photos are of the evening train, the 7.33pm ex-Hawick - we always called it the Paper train as it brought the "Pink" and the "Green" to Hawick on a Saturday with the sports results.

Note that the distant signal arm is missing from the Advance Starter signal, meaning that the shot is after Lochpark siding was removed.

Bruce.

Guest tony graham

Serious Trouser Incident aka STI

Someone help me with Tony's STI ~ I Googled it and perhaps I ought not to have! :mad_mini:

post-5524-0-26116500-1349451590_thumb.jpg

This is a similar combination at Hawick with D5318 after the Clayton the same week in 1968.

Both photos are of the evening train, the 7.33pm ex-Hawick - we always called it the Paper train as it brought the "Pink" and the "Green" to Hawick on a Saturday with the sports results.

Note that the distant signal arm is missing from the Advance Starter signal, meaning that the shot is after Lochpark siding was removed.

Bruce.

Guest Max Stafford

And Mac wins tonight's box of kleenex for his correct definition.

Those images are superb though, Bruce. One does indeed froth over such glories as a true Waverlite!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Either way Mac, it's bad...

Beg to differ.

If something gets to a point where it becomes so bad,

It has to be good.

Think about it........

Remember guys,

Just because someone says something is not possible, its no reason not to try!!!

Mac.

Archived