Waverley's Most Wanted

'CHARD

Fear not, there is plenty of evidence of GSYP Highland Baby Sulzer action over these doomed metals.

I haven't the list to hand, but it does exist. Watch this space, I'll edit it in soon.

Not the list, but all the gen's available for perusal here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/34123-highland-baby-sulzers-Bachmann-announce-d5135/page-2

Around post 30 we establish that D5131 The Legend worked in summer '68 in GSYP and at the very end in BFYE.

Thanks for the link to the HBS thread - post 173 was certainly of interest. As a relative newcomer to RMWeb I hadn't yet seen that thread, but as I lived in Inverness in the early/mid 1970s it brought back many memories from that era. Trouble is, following up all those interesting links can take up valuable modelling time !  So it looks like my model HBS will be D5124 as shown in the B/W Polmadie shot, anyway.

Alasdair

• 10 months later...

Not sure if non-Facebook users can access this photo - I'm not a FB user myself, but someone who uses this laptop has an account, so I was able to find this interesting nugget in a group called 'Darnick Down Memory Lane.'

https://www.facebook.com/299482506869771/photos/ms.c.eJwtx8EJADAIA8CNiomiyf6LCdL7HW2HgBaHiMc7O8up5n~;hXrPn9gmu.bps.a.299908053493883.1073741829.299482506869771/299908263493862/?type=1&theater

What looks like part of the Darnick woodland conservation area named 'Shunters Wud.'  I can't help but think this is a historic link to the fabled Darnick siding.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Perhaps it's not in the most wanted category, but I'm sure there was discussion about if ever a DMU had travelled the whole length of the Waverley Route.

I was asked to scan a collection belonging to the late George Kinghorn who lived in Selkirk and took photos from the 1960s onwards. Nearly all are on matt paper and have been home-printed. I was cataloguing the collection this afternoon and found this gem:

2 car DMU running as the fast from Carlisle on 2/7/68 due to go-slow: D365 on pick up  freight

The owner of George's collection has requested that it goes on to Railscot in due course.

Bruce

post-5524-0-27921600-1455211527_thumb.jpg

Perhaps it's not in the most wanted category, but I'm sure there was discussion about if ever a DMU had travelled the whole length of the Waverley Route.

I was asked to scan a collection belonging to the late George Kinghorn who lived in Selkirk and took photos from the 1960s onwards. Nearly all are on matt paper and have been home-printed. I was cataloguing the collection this afternoon and found this gem:

2 car DMU running as the fast from Carlisle on 2/7/68 due to go-slow: D365 on pick up  freight

The owner of George's collection has requested that it goes on to Railscot in due course.

Bruce

attachicon.gifGeorgeKinghorn_169.jpg

That's great! Amazing to get not only written but photographic confirmation!

Another snippet of info for the diesels book   ;)

2-car running in place of S64 didn't bode well for demand.....  This was a Tuesday.

I'd say that's definitely in the most wanted class!  Am I right in thinking the photo is taken from Galashiels' down platform end?

• 7 months later...

Not posted on here for a while, but I reckon Paterson's siding definitely qualifies:

https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=56666

Am I right in my recollection that after crossing Ladhope tunnel on the A7, and turning left, before all the road 'improvements,' there was a stone or brick built structure on the left - ramshackle as I remember from the seventies - which I always assumed was a railway related structure - but which must have been Paterson's facility.

EDIT: Old Maps tends to support this, the building adjoined Ladhope Vale, here is the 1964 1:2500 map (the link takes you to a blank map, zoom out)

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/349500/636500/12/100954

That siding is really very modellable.  Even as a mothballed piece with an engineers' wagon castaway.

What it was like way back in 2015 (at around 5.10 minutes) It shows the size on the site, most of the building seen in the 1965 photo at still there. The building that's out of shot of the right was a wool merchants, part of the building still exists. The Bridge the A7 passes over the Gala water on has an arch about the size and shape of a single track railway bridge where the builder yard is on the map, its  obviously never has track running though it as it at a lower level, it might however add to the modelling appeal. 

photo ADDED

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/76251-patersons-no1-site-small/

video

• 4 months later...

DP2

I'd a phone-call recently from a gent who'd seen DP2 one evening between Newtongrange and Lady Victoria on an Up passenger train when the ECML was closed.

Would this be the one and only visit of DP2 to the Waverley Route?

Bruce.

DP2

I'd a phone-call recently from a gent who'd seen DP2 one evening between Newtongrange and Lady Victoria on an Up passenger train when the ECML was closed.

Would this be the one and only visit of DP2 to the Waverley Route?

Bruce.

Very interesting and could well be ... did he give a date or an approximation of when it was?

• 3 weeks later...

The following is from Wiki but is probably as good a starting point as any to home in on the likely period.  I imagine it also worked other services than the two mentioned:

'...[DP2] was used on the Sheffield Pullman workings until 1966. It was fitted with electronic tractive effort and wheel-slip control which gave it superior acceleration to a Deltic, in spite of possessing only 82% of the power. It was placed in a Deltic Diagram covering the 01.32 King's Cross - Edinburgh and the 22.50 Edinburgh - King's Cross.  In August 1966, it was derailed at Waverley station. On 31 July 1967 it was involved in its career-ending accident.'

The following is from Wiki but is probably as good a starting point as any to home in on the likely period.  I imagine it also worked other services than the two mentioned:

'...[DP2] was used on the Sheffield Pullman workings until 1966. It was fitted with electronic tractive effort and wheel-slip control which gave it superior acceleration to a Deltic, in spite of possessing only 82% of the power. It was placed in a Deltic Diagram covering the 01.32 King's Cross - Edinburgh and the 22.50 Edinburgh - King's Cross.  In August 1966, it was derailed at Waverley station. On 31 July 1967 it was involved in its career-ending accident.'

If it was during the last few weeks of its career, then it could well have looked like this ......

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/0126.htm

... anyone got a Waverley Route signal box register from July 1967 to check 1A71 workings?

If it was during the last few weeks of its career, then it could well have looked like this ......

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/0126.htm

... anyone got a Waverley Route signal box register from July 1967 to check 1A71 workings?

It got me thinking - we have a source for the dates of diversions off the ECML.  Courtesy of the same site I think, we can identify the periods when the production Deltics were diverted en masse.  If that's the case, then surely there's a decent chance that DP2 worked over the route during one of those interludes....  

At least it appears that her use was sensibly to pool with the Deltics thus providing a de facto extra Top Link maintenance spare - that just so happened to have a relatively regular Anglo-Scottish out and back!

When DP2 came to grief at Thirsk on 31:7:67, it was working the 12:00 KX - Edinburgh, which suggests that it was used randomly on Deltic turns, rather than being confined to one particular diagram. I would therefore suggest that rather than having to invoke a diversion scenario, it could have been appropriated by 64B on a fill-in turn as happened with the Deltics (assuming that any driver passed out on a Deltic could work DP2 also).

Bill

When DP2 came to grief at Thirsk on 31:7:67, it was working the 12:00 KX - Edinburgh, which suggests that it was used randomly on Deltic turns, rather than being confined to one particular diagram. I would therefore suggest that rather than having to invoke a diversion scenario, it could have been appropriated by 64B on a fill-in turn as happened with the Deltics (assuming that any driver passed out on a Deltic could work DP2 also).

Bill

The photo that I linked to just a little further up suggests that it may well have been used on these particular diagrams on more than one occasion. It would be quite something to discover whether it was after the diverted 1A71 that the photo was taken.

I am indebted to John for taking time to research his notes on seeing DP2 and sending it to me.  I'm sure it was the "first and last" sighting of the locomotive.  Perhaps it begs the question of how many more "unusual" workings remain to be uncovered.

Sighting of DP2 on the Waverley Route. 

I can now let you know that my sighting of DP2 took place on Saturday 15th July 1967 as it passed Lady Victoria Pit signal-box at approximately 22.45.

The locomotive was heading an overnight Edinburgh Waverley to London Kings Cross passenger service. 
The service had been rerouted - presumably, to run by Carlisle and Newcastle - because of a line blockage on the East Coast Main Line. This incident had occurred near Chevington just before 19.00 when The North Briton, 17.00 ex Edinburgh Waverley and 16.00 ex Glasgow Queen Street, became derailed.  It was reported that the locomotive, a Sulzer 1CO-Co1 and 12 carriages were derailed and a total of 560 yards of track were either destroyed or damaged. 

Normal service was resumed on Monday 17th July 1967 and Anglo Scottish East Coast services were further diverted by the Waverley Route during Sunday 16th July 1967.

On the Saturday evening of the 15th, I had become aware of diversions of East Coast services via the Waverley Route when I had noticed a Deltic hauled passenger service passing through Millerhill Marshalling Yard.  I had been observing train movements from a position at Mucklets, on the outskirts of Musselburgh at the time. This location, in later years, became the site of the replacement Musselburgh Station.

I decided to take up another observing position at Brewers Bush Bridge known locally as Butlerfield Bridge, which is located on the Gorebridge to Bonnyrigg road just to the south of Lady Victoria Colliery in Newtongrange, and I arrived there just after 22.00. Being mid July, and after a particularly glorious sunny day there was still fading daylight even at this late hour and visibility was good.

Typical operational hours at Lady Victoria Pit signal box around this era were: - open on day shift and back shift Monday to Friday ie. 07.00-22.00, and Saturday 07.00 until about 13.00. Thus, it was unexpected and unusual, late on a Saturday night, to find the “Lady box” lit up, manned, chimney smoking and signals operational.  The signalling arrangements there were under auspices of the “Station Master, Hardengreen” (rather than the passenger station Eskbank and Dalkeith, curiously)... and who must have taken the steps to have the signal box specially opened for use during abnormalities.

The usual traffic for this time of night, the overnight St. Pancras had passed up-bye at about 22.15, having left “the Waverley” at 21.55 and the 19.44 ex Carlisle had already gone down past at about 22.05, but the reason for opening the box soon became apparent as diverted southbound trains started to come forth from Edinburgh about 22.30 and queue up before being given clearance to set southward up the 1in 70 over Borthwick Bank and Tynehead.

As trains came up past the signal box following  trains were held at the home signal at Newtongrange. Station about a mile away.  I remember, that at about 22.45, a long heavy express headed by a locomotive of Deltic appearance came up from Newtongrange at a pace that indicated that it had been at a stand down the line, and as it approached, the loco crew initially flashed on and off the interior cab lights and then kept the light on whilst passing so as to be seen giving a wave out to the signalman.  As it passed, I observed that the loco was none other than DP2. 

The following day I made a trip down the “Gala Water” and on a number of occasions caught a glimpse of Deltic headed trains on the railway to the Borders.

The postscript for me in relation to this meeting with DP2 was that, some two weeks after my sighting of it, the locomotive was involved in a collision with a cement train at Thirsk on 31st July 1967 and so severely damaged that it did not re-enter service.

This is simply incredible, gents!  Absolutely amazing.

The detail in that recollection is so intimate that you can almost transport yourself straight there.  Truly wonderful.  I can't wait to re-read it for the third time  :angel:

I can't help but have a minuscule wee glow of satisfaction that it was the evening before the photo that I posted the link to, on that hitherto enigmatic diversion weekend (my instinct was good!)!  It's great to know the cause of the extraordinary workings, obviously these were routed via Carlisle.

Fantastic info, Bruce .. I'm gobsmacked!

It's really thanks to those who have bought my book and contacted me, either by phone or letter. Like the P2 seen at Carlisle, I thought worth sharing on this board. If any other oddities are sent to me by readers, I won't keep them to myself.

Bruce

www.cairndhu.net

The train involved is most likely 1A67 20:30 Perth - Kings Cross, due off Waverley at 22:10 but running rather late, a booked Deltic turn - see http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/wtt67summer.htm

Bill

This almost certainly means the ultimate holy grail for me.  A service train that worked over the Perth direct through Glenfarg and then the length of the Waverley route.  

That this emerged from the incredible DP2 research is simply wonderful.

Presumably there was the equivalent down working.

Archived