Waverley's Most Wanted

'CHARD

• RMweb Gold

And Mac wins tonight's box of kleenex for his correct definition.

Cheers bud, I'll be needing them!

Spending a pleasant evening in front of the fire editing a book don't you know.

Tantamount to,

well, make your own mind up.......

Mac.

Guest tony graham

Cheers bud, I'll be needing them!

Spending a pleasant evening in front of the fire editing a book don't you know.

Tantamount to,

well, make your own mind up.......

Mac.

An evening in? How will the Lid cope??

• RMweb Gold

Not this one by any chance? http://books.telegra...N=9781445609607

Drop down the page a bit and Amberley have another book for sale.

Pubs Throught Time?

Roy and I have a contact so its likely a goer.....

Get drinking boys (just take photos before you do)!

I'll start on the Lid, Grapes, Trap (well maybe not) and handle Hawick.

Who's doing everywhere else and can I join in please?

Mac.

• 1 year later...

Is this Stainton crossing just outside Carlisle ?? - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351020398538?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649 ,  I was outbid for this neg on ebay tonight :banghead: & I'm sure this is taken at Stainton with the headshunt for Kingmoor on the right .

Stewart .

Hi Durranhill,

Yes, its definitely taken at Stainton crossing. Here is a shot I took at the crossing in May 1966 of a Black 5 going the other way.

post-19218-0-03270400-1395650527.jpg

Is this Stainton crossing just outside Carlisle ?? - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351020398538?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649 ,  I was outbid for this neg on ebay tonight :banghead: & I'm sure this is taken at Stainton with the headshunt for Kingmoor on the right .

Stewart .

That is a truly holy grail shot, as reflected in the price it fetched - nearly fifty quid!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if there was a bounty on anyone's head for the senseless destruction of the Waverley it would be the axis of evil, Marsh and Castle, with Beeching and Marples close behind. But I don't mean Waverley's Most Wanted in that sense.

No, this is a new thread for parking those Holy Grail items, places or cameos that have eluded Waverlites since 6th January '69, instead becoming entrenched in legend and folklore.

In no particular order, here's my Top Ten. Please feel free to add the ones I've missed, and I'll keep this thread fairly close-cropped, so we have a target for research up to date at any given time. To close these out and remove them we really need a photo, although some will probably be information requests that can be answered with signalbox records, track diagrams, official documents, meeting minutes or BR publications.

• A Class 50 anywhere between Canal Jct and Millerhill (photo)
  • A Class 27 on a service train (photo)
  • Shank Bridge over the A7 (between Lady Victoria Pit and Gorebridge)
  • Stainton Crossing and S/B
  • Fauldmoor Crossing
  • Bush-on-Esk Crossing(s)
  • An 'Up' car train between Longtown and Carlisle post '63
  • A Longtown trip freight in 1970
  • The last through Brit, November '67
  • Last Langholm steam, "late" '67
  • RAC Rally competitors at Kershopefoot or Newcastleton in November 1967 or '68 en route Kielder

There are mine, now over to the crew....

Number 1: A Class 50 anywhere between Canal Jct and Millerhill (photo)

D416 approaching Hawick on a diverted mid-day service from Euston to Glasgow Central, I think in the second half of 1968.

I was standing next to the photographer with my camera in my pocket.

Bruce

post-5524-0-39136900-1397037819.jpg

Shameless bounce, as I haven't stopped recoiling from that money-shot yet. 

Looks like D416 is an obvious candidate for my first Red Box beauty renumber....  Already got the blanking plates on, just a matter of headcodes and numbers now...

I'm guessing the British Thermal Unit generating machine is approaching Mill Path, right?

Shameless bounce, as I haven't stopped recoiling from that money-shot yet. 

Looks like D416 is an obvious candidate for my first Red Box beauty renumber....  Already got the blanking plates on, just a matter of headcodes and numbers now...

I'm guessing the British Thermal Unit generating machine is approaching Mill Path, right?

Just for you, I think I have found number 3 on the list.  The Shank bridge was also called the Arnistion Bridge

Looking north up the A7

https://flic.kr/p/c35m8E

It will only let me use a link.

Just for you, I think I have found number 3 on the list.  The Shank bridge was also called the Arnistion Bridge

Looking north up the A7

https://flic.kr/p/c35m8E

It will only let me use a link.

Oh it is truly a DAY OF WONDER.

I remember the old A7 before that Shank Bridge was eased off the map in 1977/78.  Fantastic FIND!!!!!

Archived