Waverley's Most Wanted

'CHARD

Another one here who had never come across the term before...

Looking at the photos, I'm guessing it was the local term for the Hawick- Carlisle trains, however, did it refer to one particular working, or all services between the two towns?

Whatever, it's another gem of Waverley information that has shown it's face through this amazing resource!

By my period of study the Lightweight Scudd was restricted to a single out and back Hawick - Carlisle working, mysteriously coded 2S53 in both directions, and running ECS on Saturdays. It's counterpart Waverley - Hawick turnback ran twice daily, coded 2N.

Dave's Harker idler rejoiced in the reporting number 2L56, not advertised in the public timetable but appearing on the board at the Citadel. At the northern extremity, 2H did a similar albeit public duty out to Eskbank in the morning, and the enigmatic '2' scuttled out to wait on Borthwick Bank, before working back in at 6.0, pax from Gorebridge.

or latterly, Heriot, after Borthwick Bank was closed, as in photo.

Bruce.

post-5524-0-38509500-1322219142.jpg

Portraits for all occasions, Bruce! That is one of the top flight again, for the interest it packs. The eBFYE 'more yellow' Met-Cam, picture postcard qualities of the gates and box, and the classic STOP sign at the A7 beyond.

I'm assuming the unit reversed at Heriot without being put inside there (only refuge here being on the UP, unhelpfully). From the diagram I have at hand, Control have enough time to send her just as far as Heriot following the evening class 8 freight. Reverse and return calling all stations from Gorebridge, immediately in front of 1S64 THE WAVERLEY. In winter, there was best part of an hour until the ersatz 1S65 Waverley (portion) came through. I imagine it would have been an evocative intermission, seeing the 2-car DMU sat literally atop the wild and barren Heriot moor at dusk with only the passing A7 traffic for company.

Portraits for all occasions, Bruce! That is one of the top flight again, for the interest it packs. The eBFYE 'more yellow' Met-Cam, picture postcard qualities of the gates and box, and the classic STOP sign at the A7 beyond. I'm assuming the unit reversed at Heriot without being put inside there (only refuge here being on the UP, unhelpfully). From the diagram I have at hand, Control have enough time to send her just as far as Heriot following the evening class 8 freight. Reverse and return calling all stations from Gorebridge, immediately in front of 1S64 THE WAVERLEY. In winter, there was best part of an hour until the ersatz 1S65 Waverley (portion) came through. I imagine it would have been an evocative intermission, seeing the 2-car DMU sat literally atop the wild and barren Heriot moor at dusk with only the passing A7 traffic for company.

And not even the silver-tongued pillion passenger of mine could extract a lift on the ecs working to Gorebridge that day! Bruce

Did you guys get tipped-off about workings such as the empty stock by the WR grapevine, or was it down to experience, observation and - well - luck?

One of my favourite Heriot pics is that yellow-nosed Haymarket Class 40 setting back into the UP refuge to detach a crippled wagon, amid a wintry scene. I'm pretty sure that's the same train with EURS members in the extra brakevans entering the north portal of Whitrope. How far did the group take that freight, Bruce? Surely not all the way to Kingmoor :scratchhead:

... Did you guys get tipped-off about workings such as the empty stock by the WR grapevine, or was it down to experience, observation and - well - luck? ....

No tip-off necessary - it was in the WTT.

And regarding the brake van trip, although it was organised by EURS members, there were a few Branch Line Society members on board as well, including E E Smith. It is the same trip in the shot at the north end of Whitrope. And yes, we did go into Kingmoor - and if proof be needed - a photo is attached.

It was a long walk back to civilisation (well Carlisle) but we called in and sampled the government approved brew en-route to Citadel. Then it was back to Edinburgh via Hawick and a normal passenger train.

Bruce

post-5524-0-62992200-1322236788.jpg

... Did you guys get tipped-off about workings such as the empty stock by the WR grapevine, or was it down to experience, observation and - well - luck? ....

And regarding the brake van trip, although it was organised by EURS members, there were a few Branch Line Society members on board as well, including E E Smith. It is the same trip in the shot at the north end of Whitrope. And yes, we did go into Kingmoor - and if proof be needed - a photo is attached.

It was a long walk back to civilisation (well Carlisle) but we called in and sampled the government approved brew en-route to Citadel. Then it was back to Edinburgh via Hawick and a normal passenger train.

Bruce

This has puzzled me for some time now but isn't that 'up main' starter at Longtown shown here a modified North British arm.

roygraham

Guest Max Stafford

Looks narrower than the RCH standard arm although that could also be the camera angle.

That linkage above the arm is definitely non-standard though. Good spot.

Dave.

Bruce

Of all the photos possible of the WR, this alone possesses so much significance it tells a huge story. Bruce, thank you so much, that is incredible.

By my period of study the Lightweight Scudd was restricted to a single out and back Hawick - Carlisle working, mysteriously coded 2S53 in both directions, and running ECS on Saturdays. It's counterpart Waverley - Hawick turnback ran twice daily, coded 2N.

Err, not 2S53 both ways........2M53 0641 Hawick - Carlisle in 1968/69

The down SO ECS (3S53) started back from Appleby at 1915 having worked the1810 from Carlisle.

Stuart

Err, not 2S53 both ways........2M53 0641 Hawick - Carlisle in 1968/69

The down SO ECS (3S53) started back from Appleby at 1915 having worked the1810 from Carlisle.

n

Stuart

That is my working assumption to be honest, Stuart. It's mis-labelled as 2S584444444444444444444447.gkjm

Start again - that will teach me to step away from the laptop - a Siamese cat provided that awesome headcode in my brief absence!!!

That is my working assumption to be honest, Stuart. It's mis-labelled as 2S53 on the W/T/T I was using as raw material. I love the fact it comes through as 3S53 from Appleby to make the SO - what a detail! There was something similar at the Lothian end IIRC, one of the short workings originating at Corstorphine; what gorgeous trips these would have made.

• 4 weeks later...

Another tantalizing near-miss: here's D5350 on Kingmoor, and the Scottish crew have given up trying to fathom the box on the roof, so have labelled the nose doors up instead, with ?M43, that could very plausibly be a WR freight.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16236990@N08/2983934712/in/set-72157608177268125/

• 2 weeks later...

Another tantalizing near-miss: here's D5350 on Kingmoor, and the Scottish crew have given up trying to fathom the box on the roof, so have labelled the nose doors up instead, with ?M43, that could very plausibly be a WR freight.

http://www.flickr.co...57608177268125/

Pedant time ... it's the centre window above the nose doors. Mind you, having tried D5394's roller blinds when we overhauled it at Bo'ness I can see why the crew did that!

Sure is the window - I'd be rubbish at memory games, as I can't even caption stuff from memory...

Anyhow, do we think this is really the Holm's goods shed in 1984, looks like it to me..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52467480@N08/6446122469/in/photostream/

These do look like the platforms, taken from the site of The Last Stand:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52467480@N08/6446121963/in/photostream/

Wouldn't mind seeing a photo of 37175 at the top stub of the WR from this afternoon .. too cold for me having stood in a field near Linlithgow for ages waiting for it whilst the sun went down and the ambient dropped to zero degrees Kelvin (at least it felt that cold!)

So what cooled the area to 0 Kelvin?

The sun was very low as I waited for this: http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/photo/scaled/10751/

By the time the consist went past the temperature had plummeted ... 0°K was a complete guess on my part, but it was so cold I was only guessing ... by the time I got back to my car it had warmed up considerably as the temp gauge in there said 0°C, so a full 273.15°K temperature rise ... amazing!

Archived