Class 85

Michael Delamar

I think, he's referring to himself.

Indeed, as a modeller of freelance interpretations of my local area for twenty-plus years, I am now recidivist: turning my full attention to ScR in the years of transition (signature refers).

Basically I was saying - Barwell's roarer could tempt me back like nothing else I've seen thus far!

Indeed, as a modeller of freelance interpretations of my local area for twenty-plus years, I am now recidivist: turning my full attention to ScR in the years of transition (signature refers).

Basically I was saying - Barwell's roarer could tempt me back like nothing else I've seen thus far!

That's kind of what I was thinking, although my dilemma is I have unfinished projects and too many AC's finished for a layout that I doubt will ever be exhibited again, and they're all of the same modelling style - it's hard to explain, but most people in a club could identify who built which loco from the modellers individual style. Then along come the boys from Barwell with something of such fidelity that I can hardly turn one down, but decide to get one from an earlier period just in case it outshines all of my own withering efforts.

I'm sure I can find eight vacuum and unfitted wagons to produce the most unlikeliest of inglenooks....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously though, I know it is a class 85 and all, but how easy/hard would it be to make one into an EU - 06/7?? (class 83).

*Anyone who doesn't know what an EU - 06/7 is, shame on you! Do you not know your EE Polish exports??, now, LOOK IT UP!!* :diablo_mini:

Edited by 303013

Seriously though, I know it is a class 85 and all, but how easy/hard would it be to make one into an EU - 06/7?? (class 83).

*Anyone who doesn't know what an EU - 06/7 is, shame on you! Do you not know your EE Polish exports??, now, LOOK IT UP!!*

I suppose it would depend to what standard you're working to and which bits on the 85 you want to keep, assuming they're the right size for an EU06. I've converted a Hornby 86 body into an 84 and the only "shape" bits that remained were the cab doors and windows, although it helped to have other areas such as the fronts and cab roofs to a roughly similar profile to work with. It would be better to save £80 and hack an 86 body or just start from scratch.

Sorry, I was a bit worse for wear last night, but still, it would still be an interesting project to undertake!

By the way,the EU06 was the most successful of all the the batches of British built the Roarers:

20 were built between 1962 and 1965, the first few by EE at Newton Le Willows, the majority on licence in Poland, but PKP liked them so much that they started building their own version, the EU07 in 1965, and proceeded to build no less than 244 between 1965 and 1974, 242 between 1983 and 1992, and3 from 1990 to 1994, a total of 489!

Not content with that, there is also the EP07, (1995 and 2003, with more EU07s currently being converted), and the EP08, built from 1973 - 76.

From an original batch of 20, there are now 500+ decendants whizzing about, with quite a few approaching their 50th birthday.

And of the original EU06s??

Well, at least 14 were still in service up until quite recently! (I don't know what the current situation is with them though).

Edited by 303013

I forgot, there is also the articulated version, the ET41

One of these strange creatures can be seen here):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7hXopwd08I&feature=related

Anyway,I know it doesn't show a great deal, but here is a nice video of an EU06 in the fog. Just turn the volume up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV3vgY9XtwY&feature=related

Edited by 303013
  • Like 1

Oh yeah, and here is one making making quite a rude amount of noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E3c0916NF4&feature=related

Incidentally, the Poles have not forgotten where the design came from, and 'Anglik', meaning 'Englishman' is one of the nicknames for the sixes.

'The Six' is an other.

ALSO, look what they did, ha ha!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gy3ojiwxKc&feature=related

The new PKP livery is blue anyway, but sadly without yellow ends.

That is all.

Edited by 303013
  • Like 2

I know, even in half darkness:

I just wish there were more films of the BR versions kicking about.

Annyway, if I had the money, then I'd bring an Anglik or two back and line them up with the AC Loco group's examples just to annoy the veg! <Evil laugh>.

Edited by 303013
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Without doubt this will be absolute best 4mm RTR ac electric loco model ever made. So far. (Not really that difficult considering what we have previously been offered!)

cheers

Shane

Yeah, that Lima 92 took some beating....

Looks like it is straight out of Crewe Works!

Wish I could get in the cab of one of these again running LE.

Best Regards

Mark

That might be possible, 85101 (006) can be made a runner, given enough of a cash injection.

As well as being a fine RTR electric loco this is also the first Bachmann to get corridor lighting which will be visible on the one side.

Its got all the makings of a lovely model.

Queue jokes about it also having a smoke unit and authentic fire flicker. I just wanted to be the first to say that....