Realtrack Models looking for suggestions!

charliepetty

If I've got it right the original Trans Pennine sets were 6 car units consisting of 2 x 3 car coupled

ISTR there might have been a suggestion of it in the early days of the proposal Mike, but from delivery they were intended to be worked as complete six-car sets (subject of course to maintenance issues resulting in odd cars going AWOL). Unlike the 79xxx Inter-Citys, there was no intermediate cab provision.

Pretty close on the rest though, and an excellent illustration (which we can link back to as and when required :happy_mini: ) of why either class would be no RTR sinecure.

How about a class 89 badger.

I think there will be a big increase in interest in AC models when bachmanns 85 and desiro hit the shops.

A couple of liveries and hopefully a return to the main line will make it an option for modellers of the current scene aswell as it's service life.

Main line

Intercity

GNER

As preserved

250 of each.

Are the 123/124 combinations really the new 'blue thingy'? It could be argued that lots of new stuff is very niche based. Not long ago there was no interest in AC electric locos or DC units.

Would a request for the Class 89 be viewed the same? Probably.

For every person who thinks a request for the 123/124 is daft there will always be someone who agrees with the request and views someone elses suggestion as equally daft.

Now should you wish to do something really ancient & useful and also wish to be eternally loved by just about every Southern Region Modeller then you would simply have to produce an RTR 2Bil EMU! (and possibly reap a rich reward...)

• RMweb Gold

Now should you wish to do something really ancient & useful and also wish to be eternally loved by just about every Southern Region Modeller then you would simply have to produce an RTR 2Bil EMU! (and possibly reap a rich reward...)

Very true (and I'm not even an SR modeller!) but there have been strong rumours in the Hornby camp for several years about a 2BIL and I have heard that it is regularly pushed by a number of reps whenever they are consulted about potential new models. As for the 6400 I would be in for several and it is one that I have been pushing - clearly without success - with Hornby for the past 4 years, Simon Kohler must be fed up with me getting at him about it every time I get a chance to talk to him at a show .....(mind you does several years of ignoring it mean they aren't interested?)

Are the 123/124 combinations really the new 'blue thingy'?

I dont know, that's what I was trying to ascertain. There are certainly parallels IMO; now that Mike has set out the scale of the issue though, I doubt that anyone who's suggested one will come back and say 'ooh er, I didnt realise there was that much to them'

For every person who thinks a request for the 123/124 is daft there will always be someone who agrees with the request and views someone elses suggestion as equally daft.

Maybe so, but I'm not sure what your point is? Charlie wont be making his decisions on a simple popularity poll, there needs to be some science behind it. This is what separates a useful thread from a simple wishlist.

Ideally you need a fall back position, with the 144 we have designed a drive to a low profile, thus the motor could fit onto various railcars, railbuses, NER Quayside electrics of similar quirky things 'that we think might sell!' So if no one buys a 144, we have a fall back position, the same applies to a locomotive, steam, diesel or electric it makes no difference we need a fall back position. The GWR Railcar in principle sounds good but with the later types Hornby could reintroduce them at any time and make them £55.00 list, we cannot do that! Is there a market with the limited liveries for say 2000, possibly not. The smaller the quantity/ fewer liveries, the dearer the price, honestly there is a limit to what I would spend on a single railcar.

As for a 2BIl, I personally like 3rd Rail & overhead electric locomotives & stock as many of you know, but years ago I made a decision not the produce what I liked, but what people wanted. Today Arran & myself are making those same decisions, thus this thread. We know what we are doing with our next four projects, after that we either go bust! Or reinvest into further products in 4mm & possibly 2mm. I am really encouraged by the response on the 144 & 143, our next unit after this will be even more popular. As for locomotives well, watch this space, they are coming but we will be all a bit older by then! As for more wagons, well yes we are doing them too. Please keep up your suggestions, but please bear in mind 'the fall back position' is required to save us re-inventing the wheel every time we do a further project. Charlie

Guest oldlugger

A southern region Bullied/Raworth class 70 co-co third rail electric loco would be very nice - and unusual. MTK produced one I think but it is now very hard to find.

Cheers

Simon

...The GWR Railcar in principle sounds good but with the later types Hornby could reintroduce them at any time and make them £55.00 list, we cannot do that! Is there a market with the limited liveries for say 2000, possibly not. The smaller the quantity/ fewer liveries, the dearer the price, honestly there is a limit to what I would spend on a single railcar...

I don't think anyone has suggested that you do the later type, most of us seem to be happy to put up with the limitations of the Hornby product. There have, I think, been a couple of mentions of the later type two car units. These would give a choice of three liveries, and whilst there are quite a few of us who would buy a pair, I doubt if they would be as popular as one of Nos 5-16 streamliners (forget 1-4, they'd be nice, but there are two different body types there). 5-16 give two possible variants within the same body (10-12 had a lavatory), and two liveries (AFAIK none were ever turned out in green, unfortunately). As to price, we do seem to be getting used to prices much higher than when Hornby re-introduced their railcar, so you might be surprised what we'd be prepared to pay.

Nick

We want a better model of a 142.

Mick

Thirded! One or two in First Great Westerns ex Northern Western livery please! :derisive: (Though if you chose 142064 - You may want to add the realistic crack on the front - drivers side)

• RMweb Gold

I don't think anyone has suggested that you do the later type, most of us seem to be happy to put up with the limitations of the Hornby product. There have, I think, been a couple of mentions of the later type two car units. These would give a choice of three liveries, and whilst there are quite a few of us who would buy a pair, I doubt if they would be as popular as one of Nos 5-16 streamliners (forget 1-4, they'd be nice, but there are two different body types there). 5-16 give two possible variants within the same body (10-12 had a lavatory), and two liveries (AFAIK none were ever turned out in green, unfortunately). As to price, we do seem to be getting used to prices much higher than when Hornby re-introduced their railcar, so you might be surprised what we'd be prepared to pay.

Nick

I think Nick's last point (about price) is a particularly telling one. It seems fairly clear, despite current economic woes (or perhaps even because of them?) that people are prepared to pay 'that bit extra' for a quality product which happens to rock their boat either because it suits their modelling interest or it's an iconic prototype. What else would explain the ability of anyone to sell a tiny 00 gauge 2-4-0T for the best part of £100 when the prototype was limited to less than a handful of examples which in the condition modelled spent most of their life on one short stretch of railway?

Pick the right thing (the hard part) get the right quality - and it will sell, quite likely at a price which would surprise you

How about the Dorman Long built PTA/JTA/JUA coded bogie tipplers, choice of British Steel, Yeoman, ARC and VTG liveries. They ought to sell by the trainload, literally.....

Or for something complerely different, a J70 tram engine would be very nice indeed :)

I still think that a 1960's Freightliner flat (can't remember the TOPS code off the top of my head) to the standard of your first intermodal would be a winner, Hornby won't do one as long as they have the KFA for the detail end of the market and the Triang flat for the kitbashers and kiddies.

I would imagine you would be able to flog them as a set of two outers and an inner with additional inners for sale to make up a five car rake, which might help with the cash-flow. Add in some nice early container liveries like BR rail red and grey, Manchester Liners and Containerway (which seem to be the main three that feature in contemporary BTF films!) and I suspect you could have a nice little cash cow to help fund other more esoteric stuff.

To be honest, even if Bachmann, Hornby or even Dapol did wake up and do a decent range of original Freightliner flats, I can't help thinking there would probably still be sales to be had (especially if yours was better) plus the potential for flogging boxes to go on the rival's product, so it might not be a case of "David v Goliath" but "David and Goliath" carving up the market between them!

I would imagine you would be able to flog them as a set of two outers and an inner with additional inners for sale to make up a five car rake, which might help with the cash-flow. Add in some nice early container liveries like BR rail red and grey, Manchester Liners and Containerway (which seem to be the main three that feature in contemporary BTF films!) and I suspect you could have a nice little cash cow to help fund other more esoteric stuff.

I like this idea, the FFA/FGA were in various configurations over the years, so scope for buying 3, 2, or 1 set and/or short sets, Thanks to C-Rail/Realtrack we now have reefers and various tanks and there is an even bigger variety of older containers, open tops, flats, MoD's etc out there

• RMweb Premium

Somewhat arguably, a 'sure fire' winner for steam locomotives would be an LB&SCR Terrier to modern standards, allowing for its many variations from the original A1 design through the various A1X ones. As Kernow are doing the O2, there is plentiful opportunity to capture the IoW part of the Terrier market. It's highly unlikely that Bachmann would go anywhere near it, Hornby have the old Dapol one in their range and seem content to sit put with that, Dapol themselves haven't taken the opportunity to use their 'reacquired' knowledge from the 2mm model (which was at best a scaled down version of their original anyway and not a proper ground-up redesign).

If I had the money I'd get it done myself. If only I could convince the bank manager of such a project's viability, but these days any lending is very hard to come by.

Just for clarity I was suggesting the 4-car 123/124 units.

There have been some real wildcard suggestions to various manufacturers that appear to have come to fruition recently. At times 'suggestions' and 'wishlists' have blurred edges. Hopefully whatever is chosen as the next model will go down well with the paying punters.

Just for clarity I was suggesting the 4-car 123/124 units.

Ahuh. A perusal of Mike's post will still show how flawed a prospect that is from the RTR point of view, and I'm afraid it does now kinda prove my point about it being the new Bee Pee. Formed as they were from such a disparate fleet, the hybrids were not especially consistent in formation - there were IIRC 17 sets but they certainly weren't all the same. Not to mention that you're only going to cover the last five years of their lives.

• RMweb Premium

The other benefit to Ian's suggestion, and the fall back you are looking for, is that it will give you an 0-6-0 chassis to add to your stable for future products.

Indeed. The A1X chassis is quite a small, short-ish wheelbase, but if the design was carefully thought out from the ground up, it could be made adaptable to any number of wheelbases. More costly to begin with, but more re-usable in the long run over many different classes. The obvious downside is that in having that kind of adaptability, it may require more compromises than we as modellers today are generally willing to accept.

As to the Terriers themselves, the other strong point in their favour is that there are ten preserved (one of those being in Canada though) including many of the major variations in the class, so plenty of scope for laser scanning :)

I like this idea, the FFA/FGA were in various configurations over the years, so scope for buying 3, 2, or 1 set and/or short sets, Thanks to C-Rail/Realtrack we now have reefers and various tanks and there is an even bigger variety of older containers, open tops, flats, MoD's etc out there

We Know! And they are coming, Patience IS a virtue!

Archived