Realtrack Models looking for suggestions!

charliepetty

Sorry to be sooo behind but only joined this week,,,missing from the DC kits range so would be much better in RTR,

Class 310/312 EMU set,

Not too sure how many liveries there were in but i know of :-

All blue

blue and grey

NSE

Regional Railways

312204 Custard Flan

First Great Eastern

Not too sure if I have missed any there was a two tone blue set running around also on the WCML.

MP

Sorry to be sooo behind but only joined this week,,,missing from the DC kits range so would be much better in RTR,

Class 310/312 EMU set,

Not too sure how many liveries there were in but i know of :-

All blue

blue and grey

NSE

Regional Railways

312204 Custard Flan

First Great Eastern

Not too sure if I have missed any there was a two tone blue set running around also on the WCML.

MP

Ooh, I would commit ritual murder fro an RTR 310/12.

Only snag is the MBS in the 310 had different guards van doors to the 312, plus the slightly less obvious cover plates that were fitted over the tops of the jumper recesses on the 310 but omitted on the 312 which always made them look slightly more gawping than the 310. Of course the windscreens also changed over time.

For the 310 you've got:

Flat chromatic blue with small yellow panels

Glossy rail blue with half height wrap round yellow panels

Glossy rail blue with full height wrap round yellow panels

Blue/Grey

(with flat windscreens) two types of NSE livery

"Midline"

Provincial "Sprinter" style livery

(as three car)

Regional Railways

(total 7)

For a 312 you've got:

Blue

Blue Grey

WMPTE experimental yellow

Two types of NSE

Regional Railways (four were briefly allocated to Birmingham-Liverpool services just before privatisation)

First Great Eastern

Again, 7 but without the cab window variations of the 310.

Sadly, to make a 312 would require four unique body mouldings as the two driving cars differ in window arrangement, and to do a 310 would also add in the complexity of the cab end changes making 6 body variations. Nevertheless the 312 would have some potential as they ran around Birmingham, on the King's Cross suburbans, the Great Eastern and the London Tilbury and Southend, so would happily sit alongside quite a range of other stock.

I think if we are to ever get an RTR 310/312, it's more likely to be Bachmann and I expect if they do another AC emu, they may go for a 317/318 first, or at a push, a 320-322, as there's a lot of stuff from the 150 which could be recycled.

For the 310 you've got:

Flat chromatic blue with small yellow panels

Glossy rail blue with half height wrap round yellow panels

Glossy rail blue with full height wrap round yellow panels

Blue/Grey

(with flat windscreens) two types of NSE livery

"Midline"

Provincial "Sprinter" style livery

(as three car)

Regional Railways

(total 7)

For a 312 you've got:

Blue

Blue Grey

WMPTE experimental yellow

Two types of NSE

Regional Railways (four were briefly allocated to Birmingham-Liverpool services just before privatisation)

First Great Eastern

I think a 310 would be best option, limited sales for the WMPTE and Great Eastern units,

I forgot about MIDLINE but thats much or less Regional Railways, there is also this I found on flickr- http://www.flickr.co...N02/2169504922/

i remember when travelling between Walsall and New St when I was a kid there was a set with white front cab window surrounds also.

MP

I think a 310 would be best option, limited sales for the WMPTE and Great Eastern units,

I forgot about MIDLINE but thats much or less Regional Railways, there is also this I found on flickr- http://www.flickr.co...N02/2169504922/

i remember when travelling between Walsall and New St when I was a kid there was a set with white front cab window surrounds also.

MP

I'd have thought GE would be quite popular to run alongside the "Anglia" liveried 86s and 170s to recreate the scene south of Ipswich in early privatisation days, or the Ipswich area with Freightliner locos and other Anglia/Reggie Rail units. Not a fan personally though, being an LM modeller.

The unit with white window surrounds might have been one of the WM Class 312s which originally were delivered with silvered cab window surrounds on the all-blue livery. When repainted into blue/grey, they got the "mask of Zorro" black cab window surrounds.

I always remember the relief when a 310 or 312 turned up when I commuted from Walsall to Perry Barr as a student in the 1980s, so much nicer than the concrete-sprung, pogo-stick equipped 304s. The same feeling of relief was rekindled when I was a regular Cross City commuter post electrification when the 323s were misbehaving, and everything from go-faster dmus to 304s, borrowed 308s and the 310s were being thrown at us! Believe me, a 304 on the 60 year old jointed track north of Blake Street was an experience I never want to repeat.

Guest jim s-w

Ooh, I would commit ritual murder fro an RTR 310/12.

You want one that much Hu?

But not enough to actually just build the excellent Southern Pride kit though? You see this is the problem when people say they would give their right arm for something RTR but theres a great kit available and yet they wont build it. Just how badly do people really want one?

class%20310%20unrefurb.jpg

Cheers

Jim

PS - there was at least 1 unrefurbished 310 in NSE livery. Also there was no gangway between the TS and the MBS on the unrefurbished one so technically all 4 bodyshells would need to be different for pre and post refurbishment. The bodyside vents on the MBS were not all in the same place on different trains either and 1 driving coach was rebuilt from a TS so thats something for the bashers!

310%20091%20at%20BNS%20april%202011b.jpg

Guest jim s-w

I do have a suggestion for realtrack model though

The pair of you aint muppets, you obviously have some ideas of what

a - you want to do

and

b - what you believe the market will support

so instead of 16 pages of people suggesting things only to be told no how about a short list that people can express their interest in? (or is there a fear that Bachby will beat you to it?) Gotta nail a flag to a flag post at some point.

Cheers

Jim

Well Jim, I think some of this thread has been a discussion and bit of harmless wishing to suggest a favourite. Look at the ideas generated by suggesting track plant machines which a company would do well to look into. That hasnt been ignored.

The company Charlie is working with is already working on some models that have been decided. These suggestions are for what might come after that, but given the company and its current projects I think its fair to say it will stay with similar ideas in the future. I cant see a break into the steam market then.

Perhaps it might be nice to find out what this new DMU and wagon is... then we can speculate more about what happens after them!

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps it might be nice to find out what this new DMU and wagon is... then we can speculate more about what happens after them!

Having had a good natter to Charlie at Wigan this past weekend, I will buy at least one, possibly two, of the new DMU and very probably about 10 of the new wagon....................... :secret:

They'll certainly suit my contemporary modelling.

But until the 143/144 is well into production and selling well, as with the PCA, there won't be any overnight surprises.

Cheers,

Mick

p.s Charlie's recollections of dealing with Mr Wing, Mr Wong and Mr Ho kept us amused for a while! :jester:

I do have a suggestion for realtrack model though

The pair of you aint muppets, you obviously have some ideas of what

a - you want to do

and

b - what you believe the market will support

so instead of 16 pages of people suggesting things only to be told no how about a short list that people can express their interest in? (or is there a fear that Bachby will beat you to it?) Gotta nail a flag to a flag post at some point.

Cheers

Jim

Beat us too it! Well they have never done that before!

You want one that much Hu?

But not enough to actually just build the excellent Southern Pride kit though? You see this is the problem when people say they would give their right arm for something RTR but theres a great kit available and yet they wont build it. Just how badly do people really want one?

Cheers

Jim

1) I was joking about the murder, for the avoidance of doubt.

2) I've looked into the Southern Pride kit which as you say captures the looks excellently but (1) My painting skills would ruin what would be an expensive outlay (2) My soldering ability would destroy the brass chassis (3) I'm unsure about the brass over resin construction and if you have to curl the brass sides to fit (4) It's no use saying practice, I've tried practicing soldering and ended up destroying totally a £30 metal kit, and I've tried practicing painting a relatively simple livery and ruined half a Bachmann Sprinter I was trying to paint into Centro livery. I know my limits. At £145 for the basic kit, without motor bogies, paint etc, it's a lot to then end up with a paint job that looks like it was done blindfolded and four wrecked underframes reduced to amorphous blobs of brass and solder amalgam. I like the look of the Southern Pride kit and have seriously looked at them but it is way beyond my abilities. My modelling skills lie elsewhere, not in soldering or rolling stock painting. It is not just a case of practice makes perfect, I'd be bankrupted before I got to anywhere near satisfactory.

3) Which leaves me with the prospect of getting one of the kits made professionally. As I am not Simon Cowell or a merchant banker, this isn't really an option.

So I will continue to just do without and no doubt I will have to continue to put up with the sneering attitudes of those who clearly can build kits to high standards and who really can't see some people, no matter how hard they try, won't get to a standard they would be happy to use even on a private layout. Clearly your painting ability is superb, to have achieved that level of standard with the NSE livery, and I admire those who can do rolling stock to such high standards. But, after twenty plus years of trying, I have yet to have achieve a finished repaint I'm happy with, and have been put off soldering for life following my cack handed attempts. Whilst I did eventually manage to do a Centro Class 150 it was only after it had been heavily weathered to hide the brush strokes and I really don't like the result, it's crap and I know it. It'll probably end up on night services.

Guest jim s-w

You are using the wrong tool for the job. While it is possible to brush paint to a very high standard it requires far more skill than painting with an airbrush.

Look at the southern pride kit again to use your points-

2 the chassis. The only bits you have to solder are the steps and condensers. The rest you can glue.

3 the sides, they are pre formed

Like you say, only you know your limits but then only you can do anything about them. 20 years ago you would have been on your own, but today you are in the right place to find out everything you need if you choose to.

Cheers

Jim

How about a class 97/6 PWM shunter? you know, the little yellow Ruston thingimybobbers?*

Also, hows about a class 13? (easily converted from a class 08, I'll admit), or are we hoping that a certain Danish company will do these 2 classes?

* - Yes, I've been reading Traction (for the first time in ages too).

Archived