Realtrack Models looking for suggestions!

charliepetty

I know you have previously expressed an aversion to things with coathangers stuck on the roof, but seeing as the North West will eventually get the Thameslink 319 units when someone at the Ministry works out how to buy a trainset for the Londoners, and they will be replacing in part your chosen Pacers, is it time to see if you can look at perhaps a 319 and see if it can also accomodate the West Yorkshire 321 and 322 units in the same design? I know when we've mentioned Class 321 before you were convinced Bachmann will follow through from their 150 but as they don't seem to be in any hurry to exploit the 150 fully any time yet, I remain convinced it will be a very cold day in Hell before we see a 321 from Barwell. If it is possible to produce a 319 and a 321 with some clever tooling, you would have a long potential list of livery variations, plus synergy with your existing Pacer models, and a wider geographical marketing potential. The 319 would also begin to tap into the growing third-rail modelling sphere. Of course we don't yet know if any external changes will be made once the units migrate to the north west as they may be refurbished, but it might be worth a punt.

Who knows what Barwell are up too though, i spoke to some of the Bachmann staff about the 150 at Warely and pretty much got the response of 'Not yet until we sort out that ridiculous motor set up'. I wonder how long it'll be before it gets the Farish 150 / EPB type set up?

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to note a lot of requests for 319, 321 etc. type kits. What is it that folks don't like about the Bratchell kits that they think Charlie could do much better?

Going back through the thread, interesting to note requests for many items that we never thought we would see from a mainstream manufacturer - 05, Garratt, DoG,......

It's not my thing personally, but I do think those who suggest PEP derived EMUs have the right idea. So many variants from the same body shell and operating over such wide parts of the rail network.

Interesting to note a lot of requests for 319, 321 etc. type kits. What is it that folks don't like about the Bratchell kits that they think Charlie could do much better?

Going back through the thread, interesting to note requests for many items that we never thought we would see from a mainstream manufacturer - 05, Garratt, DoG,......

It's not my thing personally, but I do think those who suggest PEP derived EMUs have the right idea. So many variants from the same body shell and operating over such wide parts of the rail network.

I've looked at the Bratchell ready to motorise kits and whilst the prices are a bit high, haven't been put off by them.  However, they only advertise a very limited range of liveries, there isn't a 321/4 in Silverlink or NSE currently listed for example.  Unless you are a professional painter with top notch spraypaint facilities, there is no way a decent Silverlink livery could be attempted and even NSE would be difficult.  As I don't have a seperate room for a spraybooth, then the ready to motorise option really was the only way I could consider a Bratchell kit which I admit do look very good.

Who knows what Barwell are up too though, i spoke to some of the Bachmann staff about the 150 at Warely and pretty much got the response of 'Not yet until we sort out that ridiculous motor set up'. I wonder how long it'll be before it gets the Farish 150 / EPB type set up?

If that's right then it can't happen too soon.  It would be even better if the new chassis could be made available as a spare.  Does make you wonder though how on Earth it got to production if they think it ridiculous.

However, if they are looking at a rejig of the Class 150 motor chassis, I still think that puts any Mk3 derived EMUs even further back on the burner.

I would suggest making them further up a potential list! Get it sorted once then have pluggable bits to suit what ever variant is needed.

323 in relaction to this thread and ontrack plant would be nice as a fourth release....

Ian

[quote name="wombatofludham" post="893804"

However, if they are looking at a rejig of the Class 150 motor chassis, I still think that puts any Mk3 derived EMUs even further back on the burner.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How about a decent class 156? Would be a lot of outlay, but almost infinite livery possibilities. And a guaranteed seller. 

All that's available atm is Lima or Hornby ex-lima (basically the same but with a slightly better motor and decent paint job), and scarce detailing parts available for anyone who wants to bring one up to spec. 

Just a thought. .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Agreed on the 321. I'd really like one but the Bratchell kit no longer comes as a kit and their prices are a) very high and b) only for certain liveries, none of which are suitable for me. I'd love for it to be made available rtr but would be equally be happy to build a good quality kit, I hadn't thought how similar they are to a 150 so a pair of Bachmann 150's would be a good base.

Having said all that, Bachmann have today announced the new 'low-profile' chassis for the 150 so maybe they will do one in the next couple of years...

• 9 months later...

If your still looking for suggestions then may I offer a few...

A class 325 mail train

A class 323 (would be great with sound)

Class 142/156 as Hornby's offering is fairly rubbish!

Thanks

This is exactly what we need! The 325 mail train is so hard to replicate if you haven't got any scratch building/modifying skills and would be very popular as it is seen on both west coast and east cost main lines (I think), and the 323 would fill a hole as there is nothing like that RTR and would be great for modellers around either Birmingham or Manchester as well! The 142/156 definitely needs to be re-tooled but that doesn't look like it is going to happen anytime soon with Hornby.

I know this is a late reply regarding this topic but have only just made an account on RMWeb, would love to see one of these electrics being sold though!

PS: will by buying the class 144 in northern colours soon! haha

Charlie / Arran

If you could just make some 00/EM/P4 schlieren bogies (ready to use or as kits), or at least bogie side plates for adding on to/replacing side-frames on existing bogies, that shouldn't take up too much capital, but is a big gap in the market - several others (including Colin Craig and InterCity models) have said they would produce them but nothing has appeared in three years. They would be so useful for fitting under TEA tankers and JXA/POA scrap bogie wagons, amongst others. You have already told me in the past that you have rejected production of the Sheerness Steel type POA/JXA 102t wagons, due to problems with the length/rigidity of the bodies (is that still true given the mass production of the 00 Network Rail bogie ballast wagons, which are just as long???), but many of us could scratchbuild the bodies, but the bogies are beyond me! I would definitely order 12 pairs at least, so, assuming an average order of, say, 5 pairs, only c.50 more customers to find?....

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

Charlie / Arran

If you could just make some 00/EM/P4 schlieren bogies (ready to use or as kits), or at least bogie side plates for adding on to/replacing side-frames on existing bogies, that shouldn't take up too much capital, but is a big gap in the market - several others (including Colin Craig and InterCity models) have said they would produce them but nothing has appeared in three years. They would be so useful for fitting under TEA tankers and JXA/POA scrap bogie wagons, amongst others. You have already told me in the past that you have rejected production of the Sheerness Steel type POA/JXA 102t wagons, due to problems with the length/rigidity of the bodies (is that still true given the mass production of the 00 Network Rail bogie ballast wagons, which are just as long???), but many of us could scratchbuild the bodies, but the bogies are beyond me! I would definitely order 12 pairs at least, so, assuming an average order of, say, 5 pairs, only c.50 more customers to find?....

Thanks

Appleby Models did make Schlieren bogies - it may be worth contacting them to see if they'll do a re-run.

Cheers,

Mick

eres a quick one, how about the rubbish containers as used on the manchester flows. Even just a kit of modings requiring glue would be ok, and cold be used with the Hornby KFA flats.

There is a rather nice 3D printed GMWA/Viridor container model available now in 2mm and 4mm scales from WildBoarFell of this parish and very nice they are indeed. No connection with WBF other than assisting him in the project and the results are amazing. Have a search for his threads and you will find his pages. Granted they are not cheap as yet but nor are many of the 3D printed railway models that are available now but it saves a hell of a lot of time trying to scratchbuild them like I considered doing many moons ago!

Cheers Paul

Appleby Models did make Schlieren bogies - it may be worth contacting them to see if they'll do a re-run.

Cheers,

Mick

They used to make the whole JXA kit, many years ago, but I only bought two at the time and then they stopped - that taught me a lesson. I corresponded a few years ago and he said there was no intention to resurrect it (although I didn't ask just about the bogies). I just wish he would sell the patterns or moulds on to someone who would make it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Second the 175, I can't see one coming out of Barwell any time soon, and as it's not an LNER kettle or a Southern lavatory-obsessed electric kettle, I doubt Margate are even aware it exists.  Has a degree of synergy with your 143/144 models as they work from Cardiff (143 territory) and in First days ran up to the North West where the occasional 144 could be seen alongside them, so you could pick up some sales from your existing/future client base.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived