Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

• 2 weeks later...

If near or passing a Wickes store and you want some cheap jigsaw or reciprocating saw blades then might be worth popping in - packs of 3 for 49p or box of 10 for 99p.  Details at their website:  http://www.wickes.co.uk/  I found some on display at usual power tools display and some in a "bargain bin".  The latter had earlier price reduction stickers etc., but went through at the lower price.

Needless to say the ones bought earlier from Homebase went back!

Hope of use to someone.  Usual no connection comments apply.

Cheers, 26power

Coming to Aldi on 23rd September here

3 Piece Soldering Iron Set £5. 99 each

• 30W soldering iron
  • 2 soldering tips
  • 1 box of soldering wire
  • Soldering iron station with clamps

Hmmm ! Good spot as the iron looks like it has that 'thin', flexible cable so beloved of pre-H&S days !

In 2008, on the advice of she-whom-I-love, I did at last buy two of the £9.99 Maplin irons..........and you've guessed it, I still have the second one in pristine boxed condition !

The Aldi iron will suit the exhibition toolbox though, if the cable is both flexible and long enough.

Bob

Coming to Aldi on 23rd September here

3 Piece Soldering Iron Set £5. 99 each

• 30W soldering iron
  • 2 soldering tips
  • 1 box of soldering wire
  • Soldering iron station with clamps

I saw these advertised yesterday at Aldi in Reading - would it be suitable for a soldering novice (not done any since school) to carry out a couple of minor repairs? I recently bought a Bachmann Class 37 that has a headlight wire that has split. Thanks!

I saw these advertised yesterday at Aldi in Reading - would it be suitable for a soldering novice (not done any since school) to carry out a couple of minor repairs? I recently bought a Bachmann Class 37 that has a headlight wire that has split. Thanks!

Yes looks fine for "big stuff" soldering like wires and through pcb components. Might be a bit heavy (and powerful) for fine surface mount stuff. I shall now wait patiently for the "I can solder surface mount with my copper headed poker heated on stove" comments to appear ;)

If it doesn't come with one (can't tell with vague pictures on site), you'll need a bit of sponge/wet paper to clean the tip with. Soldering isn't hard, it just gets even easier with practise!

If it doesn't come with one (can't tell with vague pictures on site), you'll need a bit of sponge/wet paper to clean the tip with. Soldering isn't hard, it just gets even easier with practise!

Bought one today. Not half bad, and the stand is quite stable, although I have drilled and screwed mine to a large piece of board. The sponge is next to useless though, tiny and skids about on the very small metal surface even when wet. Tins easy and heats up quickly.

JD

Another Vitrains clearance this time at Gaugemaster. Slightly dearer than Durham Trains but still very competitive for the 47's with added bonus of free next day insured postage.

I ordered up 2 of the 47's and the twin pack WCRC and all arrived next day. Even came with 6 complimentary Gaugemaster OO gauge vehicles.

http://www.gaugemaster.com/index.html

Are retailers clearing their shelves ahead of the next Vitrains delivery?

Hope this is of interest to someone.

Hornby's ' The Flying Scotsman ' trainpack £135 @ Woolworths / Marshall Ward etc.

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/Hornby-the-flying-scotsman-limited-edition-train/595279734.prd?browseToken=%2fb%2f11046%2c4294957665%2fs%2fprice%2c1%2fo%2f2&trail=5132-11046-4294957665&prdToken=/p/prod5001527-sku7631675

As ever, a 'bargain' is only ever such if it is something you'd consider buying to begin with, so on that premise...

This pack appears to include three of the high-detail LNER coaches - not seen these individually for less than £35 each, so coupled with an super detail A4 ( 'Kingfisher' I believe ) makes this worth considering...

Hornby's ' The Flying Scotsman ' trainpack £135 @ Woolworths / Marshall Ward etc.

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/Hornby-the-flying-scotsman-limited-edition-train/595279734.prd?browseToken=%2fb%2f11046%2c4294957665%2fs%2fprice%2c1%2fo%2f2&trail=5132-11046-4294957665&prdToken=/p/prod5001527-sku7631675

As ever, a 'bargain' is only ever such if it is something you'd consider buying to begin with, so on that premise...

This pack appears to include three of the high-detail LNER coaches - not seen these individually for less than £35 each, so coupled with an super detail A4 ( 'Kingfisher' I believe ) makes this worth considering...

No, these will be the old style gresley coaches - there is no composite in the high detail range. I presume the A4 is also just Railroad range.

No, these will be the old style gresley coaches - there is no composite in the high detail range. I presume the A4 is also just Railroad range.

I know there was an issue with 'The Cunarder' trainpack, which does appear to include lighted Pullman coaches, but is / was actually supplied with Railroad Pullmans - In fact there was a review to this effect, however it appears to have been removed !

Anyway the current, rather detailed review for '..Scotsman' states that the coaches are the detailed Gresleys...

Worse case scenario, these companies do accept returns, certainly where an item is incorrectly advertised.

EDIT: Paypal supposedly offer a further £5 discount if you use that method to pay

Don't know if they are any use to anyone.... But IIRC modelzone have a load of 1/43 scale alfa romeo race cars (from 20's up to today) for i think 3.99 each...

Must be the same box that TKMaxx's supply fell out of - Del Prado or similar, and quite nice models, but how many racing cars do you need on a layout?!

TKMaxx have also had various international taxis and delivery vans in 1:43 in recent weeks, at a similar price to the Alfas.

Poundland have Toolbox tweezers in a set of 4 for, yes you have guest it £1

Not the best quality but great for every day use

112762654.jpg

And ai that price if they get damaged or bent, no problem

• RMweb Gold

Hornby Western Messenger set at Tesco for £60 instead of £120.

Unfortunately that £120 price tag is one of those fictional things they use to pretend the current price is half-off. :angry:

Argos' eBay clearance shop has a similar set for £39 at the moment. They've sold sets like these for £19.99 in the past.

Archived