Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

Gezz you Poms have it good.

I was at a Rail Model shop near Wollongong in NSW OZ, they had a St Paddy with sound for the very cheap price of.......$535 = £308.80p

Now you know why I buy from the UK :P

Been trying to get one of these £1 electric flyswoters (as a basis for a sttaic grass dispenser) from my local Poundland (Southport) with no success. I wondered if maybe someone somewhere else could pick one up for me if they go to buy one themselves and I'll refund the pound and of course the postage.

A "flyer" in my wife's book club magazine received today, for a 1/76 die-cast model of London RTW Bus for £1.99 post free!!(Save £13!) from Atlas Editions based in Ashby-de-la-Zouch.

Leaflet says nothing else to buy! No club to join. One per household.

They have a web site at

www.atlaseditions.co.uk

Anyone had any dealings? Quality of models etc?

No connection with them in any form.

• RMweb Gold

Whilst in Maplin's the other day buying replacement tips for my soldering iron I saw this temperature controlled iron for £9.99. Not bad value really except the tip is the pointed type so you maybe would need to replace it. Replacement tips come in a pack of three but only one of them is the flat type that I think I am supposed to use for soldering kits. In the end I bought three tips for my Antex 25w that cost £9.99 but I wonder if the temp control would have been better in the long run.Chris

You can them for around £3.60 inc postage on ebay which is probably nearly as cheap by the time you add the postage and packing to one bought from poundland

Oh right I'll have a look

In hobbycraft, look at the flower arranging bits and bobs, the materials are reasonably priced.

The 30% off blue stickers in my local store (Teesside) had Guards Vans on offer too.

Last weekend, i visited the Fenwicks store in Newcastle. They usually have some locos on offer. Got a Hornby 2-6-4 tank for 50 quid.

Hornby are continuing to sell off a lot of their relatively new items via Amazon.

After purchasing a Hornby Beverston Castle for £63 post free I've been checking the Amazon site regularly.

Today I bought 2 Maunsell SR 4 compartment brakes at £11.51 each and 2 Maunsell BR carmine/cream 6 compartment brakes at £16.84 each.

Prices seem to change daily - how low can they go!

Ian

Some of these have already been discussed in the Bargain Hunters thread.

Sorry guys, I must be looking in the wrong place. Not that I want a Castle, but it's showing at £112. Do you have a link to point me in the right direction?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hornby-R2849-Castle-Beverston-Locomotive/dp/B00260GCG8/ref=sr_1_48?ie=UTF8&s=toys&qid=1280833181&sr=8-48

BR(ex-LMS) Stanier brake 3rd available for about £18 when you take into account postage here, just the one for someone, I already have all i need!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hornby-Corridor-Brake-Class-Coach/dp/B000H5V1OC/ref=sr_1_982?ie=UTF8&s=kids&qid=1280838268&sr=1-982

Maunsell coaches are nice at £10-12 with free delivery!

All the Castles seem to have gone back up now, Hornby must have run out of room in the warehouse.

Whilst in Maplin's the other day buying replacement tips for my soldering iron I saw this temperature controlled iron for £9.99. Not bad value really except the tip is the pointed type so you maybe would need to replace it. Replacement tips come in a pack of three but only one of them is the flat type that I think I am supposed to use for soldering kits. In the end I bought three tips for my Antex 25w that cost £9.99 but I wonder if the temp control would have been better in the long run.Chris

note it's variable heat not 'controlled', but you wouldn't really expect that. Maybe I was unlucky but mine failed quite quickly. Elements are apparently not available as a spare.

Been trying to get one of these £1 electric flyswoters (as a basis for a sttaic grass dispenser) from my local Poundland (Southport) with no success. I wondered if maybe someone somewhere else could pick one up for me if they go to buy one themselves and I'll refund the pound and of course the postage.

I got mine from the local '99p' emporium. (Grays). I don't remember seeing them in 'Poundland' (which doesn't mean they haven't got them). Mine needed repair - a dry joint on the PCB, but then they are made in China. (Power in from the LED in the handle.)

A "flyer" in my wife's book club magazine received today, for a 1/76 die-cast model of London RTW Bus for £1.99 post free!!(Save £13!) from Atlas Editions based in Ashby-de-la-Zouch.

Leaflet says nothing else to buy! No club to join. One per household.

They have a web site at

www.atlaseditions.co.uk

Anyone had any dealings? Quality of models etc?

No connection with them in any form.

I have one, and like you say no strings attached, you get a free poster as well. They are one of a series, the next one is a Bristol Lodekka I think which is yours for £6.99 (and they don't then charge you for the RTW). I just stopped at the RTW and sent them the £1.99. The bus is a corgi OOC and is perfectly reasonable quality and a bargain for £1.99

Kernow Models are selling four Murphy Models Cravens coaches for £90 which is almost half their original price. These coaches have obviously not sold as well as was anticipated judging by how many that the big retailers still have them in stock.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/31742/MM4PCK_Murphy_Models_Cravens_Standard_Open_Coach_Bargain_Pack

• RMweb Premium

note it's variable heat not 'controlled', but you wouldn't really expect that. Maybe I was unlucky but mine failed quite quickly. Elements are apparently not available as a spare.

It's just a triac power controlled iron.

I had one and it failed early. As you say no spare elements and originally no spare tips either.

I replaced mine with a cheap 60W iron from a hardware shop. It was easy to wire up to the base station, has lasted longer and has cheap replacement bits

Keith

Not sure where to put this, but while in Hobbycraft (Woking, Lion retail park) today, I noticed a basket full of discounted Revell 1:76 military models (tanks, army lorries/jeeps, etc) reduced from £5.99 to £3.99. I presume they might be of interest to someone.

G.

I went into a shop in Bury on wednesday called 'Conway Toymaster' and whilst it was mostly filled with more modern looking toys, it did have some interesting kits upstairs. Lots of Airfix kits relatively cheap, including a really wide range of military figures (everything from Romans/ancient Britons through to modern era military) and vehicles. They even have WWI era tanks which I had to buy and build one of (it'll go on a plinth as a war memorial somewhere on my next layout) and lots of different versions of TK Bedfords.

Archived