From a carriage window

Stubby47

The perspective is much better now, but do you have a prototype for a dormer with a ridge that is higher than the main roof ridge? I ask because I can't think of one offhand. The roof timbering is an important integral part of most timber frames and a dormer would almost certainly be a later insertion in this type of building. I'm having difficulty imagining what the internal arrangement might be without compromising the integrity of the original roof. If you have a prototype then fine, otherwise I'd suggest losing the vertical wall section below the dormer window and bringing the ridge of the dormer down just below the main roof ridge.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stu

I have been folwoing this thread with interest due to the unique and ingenuious perpective (pun intended) taken on the challenge. The effect that you have achieved is very clever and a credit to you.

My only other coment at this stage is that the shouldn't the top of the recently added chimney on the pub also follow the perspective rules? as the top looks perpendicular at the moment?

• RMweb Gold

I think this is what I was trying to (subtly) get at the other day.

Our eye would normally read the perspective in a view but as you have chosen to define this back to a predetermined point, then I suspect all built elements will need to focus back to that to follow the rules you have set...

In the most recent view, that would also mean skewing the internal walls of the arch of the bridge etc...

EDIT: That said, that last photo is lookin' very good overall...

• RMweb Gold

Whilst I am generally trying to keep all the eye lines in their correct perspective angle, I'm probably not going to get everyone 100% correct.

I am grateful to those of you who point out the various inaccuracies of any aspect of the model - please don't stop - but I am also mindful of the impending deadline and that there is so much else to do.

So, rightly or wrongly I've decided to leave the chimney stack top as it is, I can probably crop it out of most photos anyway, and the inside walls of the overbridge will be hidden by a darker environment and a passing through large vehicle.

Now, a question.

On the right side of the road is a row of terraced houses. The way I've initially built them is they are 4 identical units, but I'm sure that they should be pairs of mirror-image units, so the internal chimneys would be back to back. Have I got them wrong and should I re-do them ?

Cheers

Now, a question.

On the right side of the road is a row of terraced houses. The way I've initially built them is they are 4 identical units, but I'm sure that they should be pairs of mirror-image units, so the internal chimneys would be back to back. Have I got them wrong and should I re-do them ?

Cheers

Both types are equally common - sometimes in the same street.

Whilst I am generally trying to keep all the eye lines in their correct perspective angle, I'm probably not going to get everyone 100% correct.

I am grateful to those of you who point out the various inaccuracies of any aspect of the model - please don't stop - but I am also mindful of the impending deadline and that there is so much else to do.

So, rightly or wrongly I've decided to leave the chimney stack top as it is, I can probably crop it out of most photos anyway, and the inside walls of the overbridge will be hidden by a darker environment and a passing through large vehicle.

Now, a question.

Cheers

Stick the chimneys on the back then you won't need to do them :sarcastichand:

• RMweb Gold

I don't mind doing the chimneys, I was more concerned with putting them in the right place, but from the feedback ( thanks!) it would appear my proposed terrace is prototypical, so I don't need to re-do it.

The terrace will include a barbers shop, complete with pole.

Progress recently has seen the small shop on the far left split into two smaller shops. One will hopefully have an awning, with some sort of goods displayed on the pavement- not sure whether to do it like Arkwright's shop, if I can get /make enough ironmongery.

All that's left then is to add all the street furniture and people.

Have I time for a 4th ?

Archived