Stubby47's Garage Layout - Trelothen

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Hmm.

Just found this thread again (via a google search for Ashburton Station, of all things).

No, it never did get built, but.....

I quite like the idea of a separate module for the factory, and this has got me thinking again about what I'm doing with Tinner's Forge and the need for a Fiddle Yard.

A small factory module, mirrored to the version above, could sit nicely between Tinners & Treamble, with the FY on the right hand end.

post-7025-0-35468000-1488198600.gif

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Nick, I must admit I've been contemplating these boards quite a bit.  A single 4ft one would be ideal for the factory....

I think Graham is using one 4ft by 1ft unit for his new project.

Regards,

Nick

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here we are again.

Looking for images of Bodmin General trackplan I stumbled across this old thread (of mine...).

Re-reading the ideas and comments from all, I find myself agreeing with the earlier concept and still feel this kind of track plan is what I want to do.  Yes, it's very Bodmin-ish, but any single line platform with a loop and a spread of sidings will look similar - there aren't many variations that still make operational sense.

I need to determine if I can still have a factory siding, and Kenton's comments about the shed are probably correct (not seen him on here for 2 years now !). I had also planned to include Treamble as an alternative destination to the FY - again, I need to see if I can include this within the planned 14ft space available.

This won't be a quick start, I need to re-organise the garage storage to give me a suitable height baseboard frame (about 45"-50" high), and thus move all the stuff from the upper shelving to underneath (giving a clear wall space for a backscene), but planning and general thoughts will be added as I settle on ideas.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A sketch of the current idea would help us understand your current thinking, if you could manage it.

The above discussion gave me an interesting idea but I don't know if it would be of any use to you (or if it would work, to be honest).

• RMweb Gold

A sketch of the current idea would help us understand your current thinking, if you could manage it.

The above discussion gave me an interesting idea but I don't know if it would be of any use to you (or if it would work, to be honest).

Basically as on post #12, but with just a single line to the engine shed.  How and where the factory will sit I'm not sure, it might even accessed from the other direction, in front of the fiddle yard / traverser entrance, as the view blocker.

I'll have a play with Anyrail tonight and see what space I need for the station loop and throat.

But anything you've got will be more than welcome - this is only in the planning stage and I'm quite willing to admit it might all change completely.    

• RMweb Gold

Well, very crudely, the thought was that if you angled the station a bit, the factory could still have it's own access but there would possibly be room to slide it in behind the station, to save linear space.

Something like this:

post-32492-0-64474700-1539706754_thumb.png

I realise that your drawing was just schematic and not to scale so maybe you always had that sort of overlap in mind...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Phil.

I've had a play with Anyrail and think that I'll be pushed for width.

post-7025-0-49660400-1539726361_thumb.png

I've moved the factory to front left and made it a single siding, as is the engine facilities.

Topography-wise, I'm still debating what to do.  One earlier idea was to have the land slope up from right to left, similar to how it did at Helston. Track & ground level would probably meet somewhere between the yard point and the head shunt point, so everything to the right would be on a built-up area and to the left would be in a deeper & deeper cutting.

I probably need to make a mini mock-up.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I hesitate to mention some of this because you've got way more experience than me(!), but here are some thoughts...

If you use a double slip to cross the run round loop into the goods yard then you would get a bit more length for your goods sidings and the track would flow a bit better.

If you are going to use a traverser then it's a good idea to have the access line near the front of the board to maximise the number of roads, assuming the layout is installed and operated against a wall.

To fit the station in 10ft by 2ft without it looking too cramped it might be best to push the throat as close to the fiddle yard as you can? (And that might involve rethinking the factory position.)

Regarding landform falling left to right: The factory would be in a cutting and the goods yard would be on an embankment. Most likely in real life a different arrangement would have been found but maybe that's the distinctive character of this location.

How about using the engine shed as the view blocker for the fiddle yard access, either instead of, or on a spur off, the headshunt? (Something like Ashburton.)

Edited by Harlequin
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Phil.

I've had a play with Anyrail and think that I'll be pushed for width.

attachicon.gifplan_1.PNG

I've moved the factory to front left and made it a single siding, as is the engine facilities.

Topography-wise, I'm still debating what to do.  One earlier idea was to have the land slope up from right to left, similar to how it did at Helston. Track & ground level would probably meet somewhere between the yard point and the head shunt point, so everything to the right would be on a built-up area and to the left would be in a deeper & deeper cutting.

I probably need to make a mini mock-up.

Hi Stu. From a viewing perspective, you might alternatively consider having the landform gently falling away from right back to left front, so the station is approached on a gentle embankment. The scenic break would need to be hidden by trees or a building, but overall it would open up the layout a bit more. The trackbed would only need to be raised an inch or so above the front edge of the layout to make a big difference to the viewers perspective.

Also - a reminder that the Bodmin club’s annual exhibition is on 27/28th of this month.

Phil

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chamby Phil, I shall be visiting the show at some point over the weekend.  Thanks too for the thoughts on the topography - it's all fluid at the moment, so any ideas are worth considering.

Thanks too to Harlequin Phil for the track suggestions.  Yes, a double slip would be a better solution and save/create space - I'd not used one as I don't have one 'in stock'.  I agree with the traverse entry being near the front of the board, and stretching the station to fill the 10ft length.  Again as above the ground format is still not decided, but I certainly don't want a flat earth look.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, we're now into Day 3 of the Great Garage Clearout.

Day 1 saw all of the modelling, household and tools/paints/tiles/etc accumulated over the last 20 years temporarily shifted to a neighbour's empty garage.

Then the old kitchen units and shelving was all removed leaving a 14ft-ish space between the front up-and-over door and the rear access door.

A start was made on the framework to judge the possible height of the baseboards.

Day 2 saw all the woodwork from Day 1 removed and lowered by 3". The first shelving was added, allowing for 24 x 11"x16" boxes to be stacked in three tiers. Space was left between the next shelves to store the layout trestles, with a shelf above this to store the laptray.

Day 3... tbc

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Day 3 - Didn't really get started until 1pm, but the main frame and shelving is now in place.

I need to decide where to put long, thin things, like track and very small cross-section stripwood, but the laptray shelf is in place with a generous height clearance, so work in progress can be left 'out'.

Next is to fashion the cross battens to support the layout/s, then bring all the stuff back from the neighbour's garage.

Oh, and visit the dump, sorry, re-cycling centre.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

End of Day 4.

The framing near the front door was changed, as the angled end would not not have provided much support for the layout board.

The old units and much of the other accumulated wood bits have been recycled.

All the main shelving is in place, and looks quite large with nothing on.

Tomorrow evening should see the start of restacking the shelves...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

As I've been building the framing, I've realised that I really only have 13ft to play with. The FY (l/h) end is limited by the up-and-over door, even though there will be very little height for the baseboard at the extreme end.  At the access door (r/h) end, I can overshoot the framing by a foot, but this will be a) very close to the door and b) restrict access to the shelves on the end which store the veg.

So, a 13ft plan is needed.

I've been thinking of a split-level station, where the platform is on higher ground than the main sidings (possibly at sea level).  A temporary extension to the lower level could see a 'between-the-houses' line running onto a stone jetty for fish traffic.  This would not be in place for home use (except if I can lock the door...), but would be an addition at exhibitions.

This is a very rough plan / idea:

plan_01.png.882218321c73eda5b7e3dccf9b498aa3.png

The line to the right would lead to the jetty, the grey boardered area in the middle would be for tiered houses/ shops/ etc., taking cues from St Ives, Mevagissey, Charlestown, & Porthleven.

The platform is obviously St Ives inspired, with the long curve.

Maybe.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 6

Sticking with the St Ives inspiration, you could probably add an engine shed as a kick back from the

left hand headshunt. As per St Ives. Would be a nice cameo feature and somewhere to keep an extra

loco, especially nice if you are to exhibit.

All the best

TONY

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tony.

The shed at St Ives is fed from a facing point further up the line. I have thought about a shed, but on the lower level, as that's where the early morning pick-up goods would depart from en route to possibly Truro. However, the kickback from the platform could be used for parcels, needing a movement between the levels ( to add interest).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Starting to move stuff back in now, sorting as I go.

Finds so far include a set of whitemetal O gauge figures, a spare Dingham uncoupler, a box of servos & gears and lots of embossed plasticard sheets.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Have also found the cottage from the Shepherds layout, which I had mislaid and had wanted to use on Tinners.

Lots of junk consigned to the bin/recycling bags, still got lots to sort out.

It's quite cathartic in a way, more so than ballasting.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Have also found the cottage from the Shepherds layout, which I had mislaid and had wanted to use on Tinners.

Lots of junk consigned to the bin/recycling bags, still got lots to sort out.

It's quite cathartic in a way, more so than ballasting.

Anything is more cathartic than ballasting...

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

The rear frame has been added, the cross-beams cut and the locking wedges added and.........

the layouts are in :)

20190710_200956.jpg.07c76f8c8b01d64ebc8aad2089926432.jpg

The track heights are 53" from the floor, with the front beam at 47", just right for leaning on.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

The rear frame has been added, the cross-beams cut and the locking wedges added and.........

the layouts are in :)

20190710_200956.jpg.07c76f8c8b01d64ebc8aad2089926432.jpg

The track heights are 53" from the floor, with the front beam at 47", just right for leaning on.

I must be shorter as my layout is at 42 inches and comfortable for me to lean on. The height wasn't designed around leanability but comfy reach up from under neathability when sat on me ar$e working on the electrics under the baseboards.  too low are you can be squashed , too high and your arms can become tired if you have a lot of work to do. 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm only 5'8", I guess comfort is a personal thing.

The cross beams you can see are loose,  so can be moved along as required.

I've moved the layouts apart so should have enough space for the next mini layout, but then I'll be concentrating on this thread's main thread layout.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I'm only 5'8", I guess comfort is a personal thing.

The cross beams you can see are loose,  so can be moved along as required.

I've moved the layouts apart so should have enough space for the next mini layout, but then I'll be concentrating on this thread's main thread layout.

I think you have just answered the daft question that pops up now and then. How high should I make my layout? The simple answer is at a height you will be comfortable working on it, after all it is your layout. 

The army said I was 5 ft 9 ins, but I think since 1975 I might have shrunk a little. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3