Hornby corroded class 31 chassis

locospotter

Guest oldlugger

When I think about my early Roco models, circa 1978, and their sublime quality and durability this incident in 2011 makes my blood boil...

When I think about my early Roco models, circa 1978, and their sublime quality and durability this incident in 2011 makes my blood boil...

You've got to hand it to Hornby though, they are doing their very best at their expense to fix any broken 31s. All you have to do is contact Hornby through their website and state which models you have that are failing, and they will get you sorted. You cannot say fairer than that.

• Like 2

Sent mine off a couple of weeks ago - it came back on Saturday - new chassis fitted - good as new and with a new body to boot even though the original 31270 was hardly cracked on just one corner - sorted and happy - I'm sure they'll do the same for anybody else with a damaged loco - no need for boiling blood :no:

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1

I recently noticed my chassis starting to go. Contacted Hornby and got replacement block within 2 days. Cannot complain about the aftercare service. They were happy to take it back and replace it at their own cost. I chose to repair myself rather than send the loco off. There is a bit of work to do swapping everything over to the new block so I would check what lies beneath the body before committing completing the repair yourself. Took about half hour to complete.

Mine was D5510 and one of the first batches of BR green for those trying to work out if they are effected.

Edited by WRLPG

I have a blue weathered 31270 which seems fine at the moment.Sorry to ask what may be a daft question but is it's collapse inevitable? As far as we know,is the whole batch with that number doomed? Very many thanks for any thoughts. Tim.

Should the body separate from the chassis without undue force? I have removed the 4 fixing screws adjacent to the bogies but I am unable to remove the body from the chassis. . I wanted to examine the chassis as the body is showing signs of cracking on both corners at the - fan end.

I am reluctant to apply to much force in case I cause damage.

Would the best course of action be to contact Hornby and hopefully get their agreement to take a look at it.

The loco is: R2420. D5512 from a batch ref: 50 04 loco is unused - mint boxed condition - purchased from Hattons within 3 months of its original release in 2004/2005 and has been stored within a cupboard in a bedroom with central heating.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Edited by RCAR6015

The chassis has swollen up and expanded hence you can't get the body off it easy.

If you want the body saved you'll want to force it off which will probably leave you with 3 bits of chassis. You could leave the body on for Hornby if you want, they will send a spare one back. Certainly contact them though as yours is duff.

RCAR6015, it sounds like your chassis has expanded inside the body and so the damage has already started, I would ring Hornby and explain it to them, they may be able to save the body and fit it to a replacement chassis for you.

Or you can leave it until the body cracks and the chassis falls apart but I would do it now to be honest.

RCAR6015, if the body cracks are minor, I would get the body off as soon as possible. The cracks on mine were about 3mm long, but as soon as the pressure was released, the cracks closed up and you couldn't see them at all, and looked as good as new. As others have said, the ends will no doubt just fall off as soon as you remove the body.

• RMweb Premium

I have a blue weathered 31270 which seems fine at the moment.Sorry to ask what may be a daft question but is it's collapse inevitable? As far as we know,is the whole batch with that number doomed? Very many thanks for any thoughts. Tim.

We don't know how widespread the contamination was, and I very much doubt if Hornby can accurately tell at this point in time what went in the melting pot back on that day in 2004/5, so nobody knows for sure, but I would regard any model from the known dodgy batch as a potential time bomb.

Should the body separate from the chassis without undue force? I have removed the 4 fixing screws adjacent to the bogies but I am unable to remove the body from the chassis. . I wanted to examine the chassis as the body is showing signs of cracking on both corners at the - fan end.

I am reluctant to apply to much force in case I cause damage.

Would the best course of action be to contact Hornby and hopefully get their agreement to take a look at it.

The loco is: R2420. D5512 from a batch ref: 50 04 loco is unused - mint boxed condition - purchased from Hattons within 3 months of its original release in 2004/2005 and has been stored within a cupboard in a bedroom with central heating.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

To: craigwelsh / spamcan61 / royaloak and no space no money.

Thank you all very much for the information and advise that you have given.

I intend to contact Hornby in the next day or so to arrange its return.

I will give feed back as to how things work out.

again --- my thanks to you all

( and a BIG - THANK YOU to Andy - for the website: RM web )

regards Richard C.

Guest oldlugger

You've got to hand it to Hornby though, they are doing their very best at their expense to fix any broken 31s. All you have to do is contact Hornby through their website and state which models you have that are failing, and they will get you sorted. You cannot say fairer than that.

This is very true of course; my problem is the cost of postage for two heavy models from France to Margate. It's ridiculous to have to shell out this extra money; I think the manufacturer ought to refund the carriage costs too as it's not the fault of the customer. Maybe they do though? If so I withdraw my earlier remark.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by oldlugger

This is very true of course; my problem is the cost of postage for two heavy models from France to Margate. It's ridiculous to have to shell out this extra money; I think the manufacturer ought to refund the carriage costs too as it's not the fault of the customer. Maybe they do though? If so I withdraw my earlier remark.

Cheers

Simon

They possibly might do if you ask them. I never asked tbh as it wasnt too bad from within the UK and an out of warranty fix. You may be able to make some of the postage back flogging the spare bodies if they don't give you something to cover the cost.

We don't know how widespread the contamination was, and I very much doubt if Hornby can accurately tell at this point in time what went in the melting pot back on that day in 2004/5, so nobody knows for sure, but I would regard any model from the known dodgy batch as a potential time bomb.

Many thanks for your thoughts-sound advice indeed. Best wishes.

On my sample, I had noticed that the Chassis ends containing the buffers, and shifted in an upwards direction. The screw threds had also broke off also. The cracks were only minor on the body shell, but were in all four corners and on one side, the part between the bottom of the cab door rail and bottom on the body has split completely! Said offendeding chassis now though has been stripped of all drive components and the lump of broken steel just sitting on my desk awaiting its fate! Safe to say all the drive bits are now safely sitting inside Lima 31130 :boast:

NL

Decided to check my Class 31’s last Sunday and found the following!

D5512 R2420 dated [ 50 04 ] body split on corners at one end and chassis end broken away.

31 110 R2421 dated [ 52 04 ] cracks in body at one end and chassis end broken away.

31 270 R2413 dated [ 01 05 ] body splits / cracks on all corners and both ends of chassis broken away.

I also have a second 31 110 R2421 dated [52 04] which appears to have no problems at this time.

These were all in use in late June and showed no signs at all then. I called into my ‘local’ model shop on Monday and spoke with the owner about the issue. He had some brand new unsold D5512 and 31270 models in stock and got them out to have a look and guess what? Yes - some of these were affected in similar ways. I have just posted off 3 defective chassis to Hornby after speaking with them this morning - will now have to wait and see what happens.

Bad news - my 4th 31 is starting to show signs of chassis problems. Yesterday had a problem when the leading bogie derailed, checked and found that swivelling coupling mount was locked solid stopping full bogie movement. No problems a couple of weeks ago and there were no signs of damage or cracks to body. Took the body off and released the small screws holding the unit in place and a piece of the chassis extension fell off! With the screws now slackened off the coupling mount was free to move but with screws nipped up it went solid again. Looks like the chassis end plate is distorted and brittle – another call to Hornby and a visit to the Post Office!

It would appear that this problem may not be confined to Hornby- there were photos on a French web-site this week of a horribly distorted open wagon; the cast chassis/floor had expanded. This was from a batch sold by Kleinmodellbahn (sp?). It would appear that one of the explanations for the apparent cheapness of products from China is the lack of attention paid to quality control.

• RMweb Premium

It would appear that this problem may not be confined to Hornby- there were photos on a French web-site this week of a horribly distorted open wagon; the cast chassis/floor had expanded. This was from a batch sold by Kleinmodellbahn (sp?). It would appear that one of the explanations for the apparent cheapness of products from China is the lack of attention paid to quality control.

There have been a few outbreaks over the last 10 years or so, Heljan had problems with chassis distortion on some of their 47s, Bachmann had problems with bending footplates on a batch of 'N' class locos.