Hornby corroded class 31 chassis

locospotter

I think I must be living right or something , I checked with the local posties and he tells me i can get it shipped for under $40 and it will be insured :-) I still think that the manufacturer should foot the bill for faulty merchandise but I will be happy just to get them running again after a couple of years sitting . Now I am having problems with my $300 + Brigthon Belle I hope i don't have to ship it back as well :-(

• 3 weeks later...

My replacement, a Regional Railways Class 31, arrived this morning. Nice loco and runs like a dream - just a pity that the high Intensity headlight surrounds are still missing despite me asking for a pair to be supplied if they were not retro fitted to the loco.

My replacement, a Regional Railways Class 31, arrived this morning. Nice loco and runs like a dream - just a pity that the high Intensity headlight surrounds are still missing despite me asking for a pair to be supplied if they were not retro fitted to the loco.

AND you REALLY expected them to listen :-)

• 1 month later...
Guest CPRAIL3000

Contacted Hornby on Wednesday that I would accept the Regional 31 in place of my Dutch 31, my last comment to the Hornby rep was to please include the High Density Headlight. Model arrived today and no headlight, I feel like sending the loco back until they actually listen but I will just not buy anymore Hornby locos after this saga.

Can anyone remember who makes this light as a detail part??

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Any one out there heard anything from Hornby ?? Last I heard was the new chassis were due in August and so far not a peep out of them and here it is August ?????????????????

Martin

Edited by oldknotty

I have recieved an email from the lovely Stephanie @ Hornby Customer Care letting me know that the replacement parts still have not arrived and to email them around the end of the month..

Cheers

Anthony

SIGH !!!!! thanks Formidable :-(

• RMweb Premium

Currently working on the respray of a skinhead 31 (was the Dutch Engineers one) into current BR Blue as 31106 and have just noticed that there is something not quite right about the chassis at one end. Pictures:

post-6910-0-52966300-1345472980_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-42888400-1345472986_thumb.jpg

Should I be worried? It looks like it is a little out of kilter but nothing is breaking off.

Currently working on the respray of a skinhead 31 (was the Dutch Engineers one) into current BR Blue as 31106 and have just noticed that there is something not quite right about the chassis at one end. Pictures:

post-6910-0-52966300-1345472980_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-42888400-1345472986_thumb.jpg

Should I be worried? It looks like it is a little out of kilter but nothing is breaking off.

Be very worried John, one of my Dutch 31's failed in the same way over 2 years ago and the chassis was returned to Hornby and I have only just got a replacement in 31 439 in Regional Railways. The body of 31 110 was split at one corner so a front end rebuild was done and it now runs as 31 134 complete with a working high intensity headlight. I used a much modified and detailed Railroad 31 chassis and it looked just as good as its more expensive brother 31 110. The story does not end there however as looking this evening at my other Dutch 31 having seen your post I have the same droop and I eventually managed to remove the chassis from the body. I released the small securing screws on the end extensions and little bits of the casting extension fell away and then the whole end extension came away from the main casting!?! Oh joy!

I'm not going to bother with Hornby this time as I don't want to wait perhaps another 2 years so I will either use another Railroad chassis or get a replacement chassis block milled/fabricated from brass. Happy days!

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that!! :O Looking again at the chassis and the body, I have just noticed that the screw holes into which the body securing screws go at that dubious end have cracked off. Oddly enough the other end is absolutely fine and even the dubious end is still solid feeling to the touch so I may delicately shave a little metal off here and there to allow for any expansion and then take my chances.

I did have one of the first release D5512 green models which did fail spectacularly, I did consider doing the whole Hornby chassis replacement debacle but in the end stripped the whole thing for very useful spares and chucked the chassis block in the bin.

Getting to a point now where I might just go back to the Lima versions, at least they are nice and cheap and despite the age of the tooling do look the part being one of Lima's best efforts.

EDIT - Buggerations with knobs on, just taking the tension lock coupling off the non dodgy end to paint the buffer beams and.....

post-6910-0-00029800-1345488721_thumb.jpg

:scared: :help: :ireful: :notme:

Nuts, bum, poo, knickers, etc, etc, ad nauseum!! The bodyshell was coming along very nicely as well, at least it still is in one piece and useable I suppose!!

Time for a word with Mr Hornby in the morning...

Edited by John M Upton

Ouch!

Well at least that great looking body is intact.... It just goes to show that this slow acting casting failure is still lurking out there. Both my loco's were dated 52 04 so it took just over 5 years for the first one to show signs and nearly 8 years for the second.

Good luck with Mr Hornby.

• RMweb Premium

Contacted Hornby on Wednesday that I would accept the Regional 31 in place of my Dutch 31, my last comment to the Hornby rep was to please include the High Density Headlight. Model arrived today and no headlight, I feel like sending the loco back until they actually listen but I will just not buy anymore Hornby locos after this saga.

Can anyone remember who makes this light as a detail part??

Can't remember on which thread - maybe the one on the RR 31439 - but I seem to recall Hornby received a supply of headlight mountings for the locos that should have had them, so you could legitimately ask Hornby to send you one - assuming they still have some in stock of course.

I have the EXACT SAME MODEL and the EXACT SAME THING HAS HAPPENED TO ME! this is insane! how can Hornby sell a train to you that is going to fall apart like this? my Hornby 31 also seems to have very little power.... Come on Hornby.... *Rant over*

how can Hornby sell a train to you that is going to fall apart like this?

To be fair I don't think it was intentional on their part...it's a case of their Chinese supplier letting them down.

I recall that when this all kicked off a few years ago Simon Kohler at Hornby stated that none of their own archive samples of the relevant issues had been affected...I wonder if he's checked them recently?

• RMweb Premium

Well Hornby have got back to me, I need to post the whole thing off to them and include my original e-mail (a tad tricky since I contacted them using the website online form) and original receipt which I can't find.

Also apparently they want the body as well which means I had better finish it and put it back together first!!!

Well Hornby have got back to me, I need to post the whole thing off to them and include my original e-mail (a tad tricky since I contacted them using the website online form) and original receipt which I can't find.

Also apparently they want the body as well which means I had better finish it and put it back together first!!!

Hi John.

It seems Hornby have changed their approach yet again on to this issue since my escapades with them, I was only required to send the 3 faulty chassis including all broken off bits [they asked me NOT to send the bodies] back together with covering letter stating the manufacturing dates as shown on the maintenance sheets. There was no mention of a purchase receipt - anyway does anyone keep them religiously filled away for 5-8 years just in case? Because of the amount of work you have done on your body you need to make sure they will send it back in the same condition!

I think the problem has been that quite a few faulty loco's have been traded and sold on various web sites or by dealers and then sent back to Hornby without any purchase or manufacturing date evidence.

Anyway good luck and keep us all informed of progress.

Martin.

I had the same request when I sent my 2 back, naturally I did not have receipts for them and as I run my locos not collect, boxes tend to go after about 18months to make space for newer ones. I just put a letter in with the models saying I did not have the boxes or receipts. The damage to both was obvious to see and they replaced them without quibble - only thing they did was state "as one of them did not have a fan in place they could not supply a model with the fan" which was fair enough as I had taken it out to fit a sound chip. So hopefully you will not have a problem with sending yours back.