Hornby corroded class 31 chassis

locospotter

• RMweb Premium

Having followed this thread regarding the chassis failures for a few years! its put me off the Hornby Class 31 as a purchase. This is really annoying because I like the Class 31, and would really like a R2421 31 110 in BR Dutch and R2753 31 296 in RF Construction, which fit my chosen modelling period. So is there any particular batch to avoid? Or just avoid the 31 full stop?

Hornby fixed the initial returns over a year ago now, if you only contacted them in May you'll have been at the head of this next batch awaiting more chassis being made.

So if you'd had an early Heljan 47 or a Bachmann N you'd boycott those companies?

Incidentally my dad send them the model then followed it up with an email telling them to fix it :lol:

If i had bought those locos and received the same service as i have from Hornby i would indeed feel aggrieved and if i'd been let down badly by all 3 main companies then i would consider buying new locos at high prices a bad move and move on. You say ONLY contacted them in May, that was almost 10 Months ago with no sign of the problem being rectified. IF I had been told to send it in earlier instead of keep ringing to be told the same old story maybe just maybe my loco would be next in line. I shall post again when i receive it back, any bets when ?

• Like 2

Having followed this thread regarding the chassis failures for a few years! its put me off the Hornby Class 31 as a purchase. This is really annoying because I like the Class 31, and would really like a R2421 31 110 in BR Dutch and R2753 31 296 in RF Construction, which fit my chosen modelling period. So is there any particular batch to avoid? Or just avoid the 31 full stop?

To be fair, The later batches ie released in the past year i believe, have a different chassis because of this problem. I am sure someone on here will know more accurately. Out of interest my 31 is a Dutch version.

Edited by oggy1953

Its only the 3 initial releases from 2005 that had issues, 5512 was the green skinhead I had, the other two were a blue one and a dutch one, the R numbers should be in the thread. Anything released since was fine.

• RMweb Premium

Considering the price R2421's sell for on a certain auction site, seems its not put everyone off.

The best solution sounds like I need the 31110 Dutch body, then to fit it with a later chassis . . . . . Now where to find a body!

Edited by richierich

Considering the price R2421's sell for on a certain auction site, seems its not put everyone off.

The best solution sounds like I need the 31110 Dutch body, then to fit it with a later chassis . . . . . Now where to find a body!

You may find one on Ebay as people with broken chassis have sometimes sold the body to cut their losses. Beware though as already mentioned earlier in this thread, the Mazak chassis can also swell causing cracking of the body.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Are Hornby still manufacturing these 31s, if so where are the chassis coming from for these?

Yes. One of the more recent examples was the RR-liveried version. And don't forget the long-awaited green with syp is due to return shortly.

Because Hornby don't make models themselves anymore its not possiable to do a run of anything that isn't scheduled to be made. When the next class 31 run is scheduled they will make another run of replacement chassis. I expect they are quite expensive to make so you can understand Hornby been cautious in the numbers they comission. The last run obviously wasn't anywhere big enough.

Edited by D605Eagle

• RMweb Premium

I would think the castings cost pennies (OK cents) to make; trouble is getting a slot on the production line as you say. If Hornby were really really eager to please they'd have some chassis blocks machined up from solid metal in the UK. Now that would be expensive.

• Like 1

I would think the castings cost pennies (OK cents) to make; trouble is getting a slot on the production line as you say. If Hornby were really really eager to please they'd have some chassis blocks machined up from solid metal in the UK. Now that would be expensive.

Emm bespoke billet machined stainless steel chassis. You'd run it with no lid on! LOL

Just thought you might like to know i had my replacement chassis sent to me from Hornby last Monday (12th).

My father sent a letter off with some photos of the broken chassis and body on or around I think the 15th Feb so not too bad going on their end considering how many they must have recieved over the last year or so

fortuantly the body was only slightly damaged wit 2 cracked corners and a small piece broken out of one end all easily fixed with mek. the only problem was a broken fixing point wich I'll have to replace.

The new chassis is different from the original as the fixing points for the pcb are totally different i had to make to of the vertical supports at the cab end as the were too low for the original screws. It just so happens that the plastic shaft from a cotton bud is exactly the right diameter and using and end of a cocktail stick wedged in the hole & the bud shaft cut to the right height the screw was a perfect fit. On the other side it simply pushes over the spigot on the chassis cut to lenght and re-fit the screw. Havent fitted the fan yet as Ive got to midify the holes for the screws as they dont fit either!!!! Will post some pics when I get a chance

Not sure how to get the pics up tried dragging them across but it didnt work

Click on 'more reply options' when posting so you have the full image upload dialogue. Make sure you have compressed and optimised your pictures for the internet and then upload.

post-13755-0-95636400-1332190715_thumb.jpgpost-13755-0-88754600-1332190802_thumb.jpg

Click on 'more reply options' when posting so you have the full image upload dialogue. Make sure you have compressed and optimised your pictures for the internet and then upload.

Thanks mate I appreciate that

Edited by TRAILRAGE
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Mine came as a bare chassis block, I simply threw the pcb away as well as the lights. Much easier!

Stewart

Just been checking on this thread as my 31 is still with Hornby and i'm getting lonely. Reading what you have had to do ' Throw away pcb and lights' is disgraceful. You paid good money for that loco and now through no fault of your own you have an inferior model. :nono:

• Like 1

Just been checking on this thread as my 31 is still with Hornby and i'm getting lonely. Reading what you have had to do ' Throw away pcb and lights' is disgraceful. You paid good money for that loco and now through no fault of your own you have an inferior model. :nono:

Actually I have a better loco - I've got rid of those disgusting lights on a green loco!

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

i have just been looking at my BR green class 31 Hornby R2420 D5512 and it has cracks around the lower body and has never liked coupling up to any wagons couches etc is this one on the bad batches of class 31? and it looks like the main chassis is starting to bow!