NRM Midland Compound

exet1095

• RMweb Gold

Are you sure?

Why not get in touch with them to check.

Bernard

I just tried the website, and they ship to GB and Europe only. Not to US, Canada, Australia etc.

The only way to get in touch is via phone (to a Liverpool number) - no email address is given for online sales. Which is odd...

I don't know much about the Midland Compounds, but going on whats posted here I take it they were used as testbeds, much like the Black 5's later on?

Oddly enough they weren't despite my earlier ramblings. The MR batch were to Mdland loading gauge as were the initial batch built by the LMS. Then the LH drive locos were for the LNWR Division and had cut down boiler fittings and Group Standard Fowler tenders. Far from being a test-bed class, they were a dead end and could not be uprated to Class 5 when the LMS required more power and so were left as they were.

I just tried the website, and they ship to GB and Europe only. Not to US, Canada, Australia etc.

The only way to get in touch is via phone (to a Liverpool number) - no email address is given for online sales. Which is odd...

For previous models, they have mailed to Canada, but you have to phone the museum shop directly at 0844 815 3139.

On my last order, they said they were planning to change the on-line ordering so that non-EU countries would be on the list, but I see it has not happened yet.

Steve

Model Railway Imports

Canada

Am I mistaken, or was a compound "repainted" into Andy Capp livery for a sspecial working just before withdrawal? Would make an interesting variant!

Stewart

Yes, it was- painted yellow and red as I recall- can't remember the number off the top of my head, but there's a b/w pic in at least one of the various LMS loco books (Fowler Locomotives I think).

Edited to add:

'Bike2Steam' showed a pic of the old Hornby Compound redone into Andy Capp colours on 'old' RMWeb- I thought I had a vague memory of seeing a model....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15616&start=25&hilit=andy+capp

I do find it interesting that if Hornby dare to produce a model which Bachmann have previously made there is an outcry on here about duplication, however when Bachmann duplicate a Hornby product it is welcomed.

I'll stick with my 1981 Hornby M R Compound which runs well, on my layout, piloting my Mainline LMS 'Leander, hauling a rake of BR MK1 blue and grey coaches as per the 'real thing' c1982.

Guest Belgian

It doesn't seem to be on the NRM sales site yet, but whilst looking I saw that they offer a display case for a single locomotive - a clear plastic top on a base with a piece of ballasted track. It's an absolute steal at just £50-00! (I'm not sure who's doing the stealing here . . . )

JE

I do find it interesting that if Hornby dare to produce a model which Bachmann have previously made there is an outcry on here about duplication, however when Bachmann duplicate a Hornby product it is welcomed.

Its an NRM product just manufactured for them by Bachmann.. As Hornby haven't decided to do a full modern version of a Compound its a slightly different situation too to complete duplication such as the Std 4.

The excellent price of the NRM display cases has come up before ;).

It isn't beyond the bounds of possibility that Hornby got wind of the Bachmann/NRM Compound and announced their old dinosaur with new chassis as a spoiler. Whatever, two markets are served: the one that doesn't give a damn about scale models or prefers to spend as little as possible, and the market that expects scale model at this stage of the game.

two markets are served: the one that doesn't give a damn about scale models or prefers to spend as little as possible, and the market that expects scale model at this stage of the game.

I appreciate what you are saying but its a bit harsh Larry. There are those who care about scale but can only afford as little as possible. If my 9 year old wants a new release he is made to save up for it. Railroad range is a reasonable target, £100+ Bachmann is not, and the market needs to encourage the nine year olds as they are the special edition buyers of tomorrow.

Good choice by NRM. The office was throwing red herrings when I purchased a Deltic recently and hinted at a Director, which they also tried to measure interest in when City of Truro came out.

Regards

Mike Wiltshire

18 months is not unreasonable from measuring/scanning to finished model, so who knows about 2968. There may well be other locos already scanned and in the development process for all we know?

Bachmann probably measured (scanned) a few locos just to keep us all guessing. :sungum:

What is it now? Compound and 3F from Baccy, 2F from 00 Works, revamped 4F from Hornby good news if you like the Midland (and I do) what's next a Belpaire IP tank or a ready-to-run Midland brake van?

I've just put the Compound's release date on the calendar.

It doesn't seem to be on the NRM sales site yet,

As posted earlier and worth repeating is that orders cannot be placed until 11th October.

A proper review will follow on Thursday as I've just got back from giving it a really good test and I'm out tomorrow.

In the meantime I'll give you this and clear up the slobber later.

Compound1.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I appreciate what you are saying but its a bit harsh Larry. There are those who care about scale but can only afford as little as possible. If my 9 year old wants a new release he is made to save up for it. Railroad range is a reasonable target, £100+ Bachmann is not, and the market needs to encourage the nine year olds as they are the special edition buyers of tomorrow.

Good choice by NRM. The office was throwing red herrings when I purchased a Deltic recently and hinted at a Director, which they also tried to measure interest in when City of Truro came out.

As the NRM marketing people have a long term project (depending on how successful it is) they no doubt have a number of locos, and possibly other things(?), on their list of 'potentials' and what comes forward at any particular time depends on the feedback they are getting from various sources plus any lobbying which might be going on, apart from any possible 'anniversary' type links.

As far as the comparison with Hornby's activity is concerned I think Larry is realistic about two markets being served. A difference of 40% in price is quite a bit and someone paying the higher price is going to expect, especially with today's r-t-r standards, a more accurate and detailed loco for the extra money. I can understand absolutely the fact that some folk will have the Hobson's choice of the remotored, but ancient, Hornby model and I wouldn't be surprised if the presence of the NRM model depresses the box-shifter price of Hornby's offering - to the benefit of those shopping in that part of the market. And perhaps a more important thing here is that Hornby are going to be offering a rather outdated body moulding, which is some way short of today's standards, at a fairly hefty recommended price - as the youthful purchaser develops and learns in his hobby might that be as much of a concern to him as the fact that he couldn't afford the alternative I wonder?

I'll stick with my 1981 Hornby M R Compound which runs well, on my layout, piloting my Mainline LMS 'Leander, hauling a rake of BR MK1 blue and grey coaches as per the 'real thing' c1982.

I'm not welcoming it. Even though the Hornby one is full of compromises I'd have much rather seen something that has not been modelled at all, like a D11. The only upside is its just saved me £140.

While not wanting to sound ungrateful, and I'm sure the Bachmann model will be a splendid effort, it does seem to me that with such a wealth of pre-grouping prototypes to choose from, it is rather a pity that the one selected has not only been 'done' in the eighties, but also has a contemporaneous companion from Hornby.

Perhaps we may yet see The NER 901 or something similar.

Andy

Thanks Andy for the excellent photo. Looks terrific.

But not for me. I'm a LNER modeller with some BR all regions.

I'm a D10/D11 Director hopeful. In some ways I'm glad it wasn't a Director because that means that there is a possibililty the the Director will be for general release through Hornby or Bachmann and that means a little cheaper. I plan to buy at least 2 D10's and a D11 Butler Henderson in LNER. The D10 would be in both LNER and a BR liveries of 5433 and 62654 Walter Burgh Gair. Then I would probably buy several more for my family. So hopefully next year.

I must get the family clan/history books back of my niece to see if WB Gair is listed.

Mark Gair in OZ

While not wanting to sound ungrateful, and I'm sure the Bachmann model will be a splendid effort, it does seem to me that with such a wealth of pre-grouping prototypes to choose from, it is rather a pity that the one selected has not only been 'done' in the eighties, but also has a contemporaneous companion from Hornby.

Perhaps we may yet see The NER 901 or something similar.

Andy

You also have to remember that, while the Hornby loco is not perfect, it is reasonably presentable, the tender however (along with that of the Patriot) is one of their caricatures with only a vague resemblace to the prototype. In both cases Hornby have missed the opportunity to use their decent Fowler 2P/4F tender inherited from Airfix.

I welcome the NRM version, can we have a Kirtley 2-4-0 to pilot it please.

p.s. Cracking picture Andy.

Arguably this hasn't been 'done' and certainly not to a contemporary standard. What we had was a bit of a coarse 1980s representation of the LMS built compound.

This though appears to be a modern standard model of the *Midland* built Compound, albeit in as-preserved condition.

From a brief study of photos last night, there's differences in tenders as previously discussed, chimney, dome, smokebox (even several MR engines have different smokeboxes from 1000) and IIRC, driving wheel diameter.

In terms of 1000 herself, this is much more faithful than any past representation.

Now, a bona-fide LMS built machine would be much more useful to the mass-market. I will probably take a look at performing the conversion, but I somehow suspect we'll see the detail variations included in another, derived, model sometime.

I'd appreciate, while I'm on, any book recommendations dealing with the Midland/LMS 4-4-0 classes, if anyone can assist?

My earlier posting was a bit harsh and I realized this at the time of posting. Unfortunately, I could not edit or do anything with it as RMweb froze and I dont have all day to spend on here.

Thanks Andy Y for posting that image. The model looks even more impressive. I will be repainting one in BR unlined black, which I know many will think is a travesty, but there we are. Funds permitting, I'll have a second loco that will be converted into the LMS variant (LNWR Division), which will receive lined black. If it could be verified that Bachmann will eventually take the Compound in house and produce one of the LMS variants, then of course I wouldnt be pushed.....As it is, I'm not gambling!

Archived