NRM Midland Compound

exet1095

Comparing the picture of the NRM Midland Compound with Derek's photographs of the prototype reminded me of a question I'd been meaning to ask: why are models of locos in pristine condition finished in satin rather than gloss?

Gordon

It tends to look like tinplate models do if you paint something gloss. Depth of paint can look good though so painting something gloss then satin varnish over it can have a good effect. Mainline did something with their paint finish in the 80s on their GWR brunswick green which gave it a beautiful finish.

Andy's review mentions that there are tender pickups on the model so we know the answer to that now..

why are models of locos in pristine condition finished in satin rather than gloss?
It's to some extent subjective, but gloss is one of those things that doesnt scale down; to the discerning eye, it looks overdone. It also tends to kill the detail.

It makes me sound all pretentious, but I think proper grasp of the matt-satin-gloss scale is the elephant in the room as far as a lot of painting/weathering goes. Uniformly matt plastic just looks like matt plastic, IMO.

As Craig alludes to - a bit of depth to the colour, and a bit of variation in how shiny things appear (if you will) can add a new level of realism. In fact, I think it was Craig who introduced me to the idea, by T-cut polishing stock. I know some others are working from gloss starting points too.

Maybe a wee while till this is 'accepted norm' enough for the RtR firms to adopt it. If ever.

[sarcasm]Isn't it great that we get two great products to choose from and it's even exceptionally good value but I will probably plump for an aged Thomas which even includes the added value of an envelope and stamp with it for merely 76p more. Thomas will surely be a sound collectors' investment with its limited edition certificate.[/sarcasm]

Is it someone's job there to extract urine?

Has anyone else got today's Hornby's newsletter - which funnily enough, has their Railroad Midland Compound advertised rather prominently, and "competitively priced at £70"...

And - Hornby claim that the tender has been re-modelled to represent the tender of no. 1000 at the NRM and is not the old tender drive one. Shame they couldn't get the tender wheels on the rails for the photo....

Ian

And - Hornby claim that the tender has been re-modelled to represent the tender of no. 1000 at the NRM and is not the old tender drive one. Shame they couldn't get the tender wheels on the rails for the photo....

Ian

If you look carefully, they didn't manage to get the loco on the rails either.

[sarcasm]Isn't it great that we get two great products to choose from and it's even exceptionally good value but I will probably plump for an aged Thomas which even includes the added value of an envelope and stamp with it for merely 76p more. Thomas will surely be a sound collectors' investment with its limited edition certificate.[/sarcasm]

I can understand wanting to cash in on the 100th anniversary of Awdry's birth - but the stamp collection models really are over priced to the point of ridicule.

And I wouldn't call the compound good value at RRP £70 when their Railroad Tornado comes in at RRP £76...

Is it someone's job there to extract urine?

I think with their rather cynically timed press release with the compound, it might well be!

Don't know if its cynical really - more like a good idea.

A Compound is on lots of minds at present and some won't care / don't care about absolute fidelity - Or they think £140 is too much to pay for a small train that to many eyes don't look all that different to one half the price.

I wouldn't disagree with that notion Mickey, point well made. Maybe the 4VEP experience is still stinging me, but I'm reading through the Hornby newsletter and the compound just stood out as a bit of a cash in on the media the Bachmann Compound has had.

I'm all for wanting Hornby to succeed because it's a large part of the hobby, but over the course of this year I've become increasingly infuriated with them as a company. Looking at their photographs of their compound, the claim that the tender is the correct one flabbergasts me. It's clearly the old tender drive tender - moulded coal and all.

I've been looking at that Hornby image of their Compound. Which reminds me, I missed 'Planet Dinosaur' on Wednesday.

I could spend £70.00 on the "competetively priced" travesty from toyland, and no matter how much I spent on it afterwards it still wouldn't be a patch on the Bachmann/NRM Compound..... It's a no brainer.

• RMweb Gold

Don't know if its cynical really - more like a good idea.

A Compound is on lots of minds at present and some won't care / don't care about absolute fidelity - Or they think £140 is too much to pay for a small train that to many eyes don't look all that different to one half the price.

They are in a good position to take advantage of those who don't know and will be guided by the name 'Hornby' (=an assumption of quality and trust) as well as the more obvious matter of price. However I do wonder to what extent that level of trust based on their brand will gradually come to be undermined as some of their customers mature in their knowledge of the hobby or railways and find they have been a little 'misled'. A £70 'authentic loco' which turns out to be some considerable way short of 'authentic' is hardly likely to improve one's opinion.

Alas I think a lot of Hornby's behaviour and marketing this year still comes over to me as somewhere between cynical and outright over-pricing/profiteering. Oh and I wonder if the 'new' tender for Hornby's Compound might bear a suspicious resemblance to the one that once trailed around behind the Airfix 4F?

i have also pre-ordered this lovely model, not a Big LMS fan. im more an LNER Fan!!!!! Im not diserpionted at all that the 11F! one day it will come! now to save up for a sound chip! its like that advert " i didnt wanted the shoes, the shoes wanted me"

well done Bachmann for producing some lovely models and very also got deltic, CoT and now 1000!

i have also pre-ordered this lovely model, not a Big LMS fan. im more an LNER Fan!!!!! Im not diserpionted at all that the 11F! one day it will come! now to save up for a sound chip! its like that advert " i didnt wanted the shoes, the shoes wanted me"

I'm hoping that it will be a standard production model, not one of these silly over priced specials that will then deny us any other version. We could then have the Scottish Directors as well, and still the possiability of BH in glorious GCR livery, even if we do have to pay NRM premium rate for it.

Guest Belgian

i have also pre-ordered this lovely model, not a Big LMS fan. im more an LNER Fan!!!!! Im not diserpionted at all that the 11F! one day it will come!

What is an 11F? I've never heard of one and I thought a 9F was the most powerful BR type. Or am I being thick?

JE

• RMweb Premium

What is an 11F? I've never heard of one and I thought a 9F was the most powerful BR type. Or am I being thick?

JE

I'm not an LNER fan either, but I think the reference is to the original GCR terminology of the "Director' class.

Kevin Martin

• RMweb Premium

According to Model Rail on Facebook yesterday (cannot get on at work so can't confirm the exact words) but they said Bachmann were not ruling out BR Black versions so fingers crossed we may get some yet.

So a BR mixed traffic lined black City of Truro (one side only) isn't beyond the realms of possibilty then - ala Steam Railway magazine

:sungum: :laugh_mini:

Kevin Martin

I'm hoping that it will be a standard production model, not one of these silly over priced specials that will then deny us any other version. We could then have the Scottish Directors as well, and still the possiability of BH in glorious GCR livery, even if we do have to pay NRM premium rate for it.

"Glorious GCR livery" does not come cheap in the real world of modelling, so those "silly overpriced specials" are not as expensive as you think. If you feel someone is denying you of things, buy a kit, build and paint it yourself. Oh, and let me know how much change you get out of £140.00. :rolleyes:

"Glorious GCR livery" does not come cheap in the real world of modelling, so those "silly overpriced specials" are not as expensive as you think. If you feel someone is denying you of things, buy a kit, build and paint it yourself. Oh, and let me know how much change you get out of £140.00. :rolleyes:

If you care to re read what I posted........."and still the possiability of BH in glorious GCR livery, even if we do have to pay NRM premium rate for it"

I think that kind makes it obvious that I'd expect to pay for a complex livery. The whole point of the post is a normal production run would give us multiple liverys/names/numbers to choose from, and not pay OTT prices for the model the will only ever be available as one subject/livery. Trying to be sarcastic about it hardly helps.

The problem are they are being marketed as NRM exclusive limited editions presumably aimed to appeal to collectors only. This equal/excuses a slightly hiked price compared to normal retail prices. This is also applies to the rash of Collector Limited editions and others such as the Hattons Garrett. They call the prices on all of these models.

It is simple if you dont like the price dont buy it . If the NRM or other retailers else cant sell them eventually as the losses mount the price will have to drop.But you then take a chance will the particular Loco sell or not ? Do you wait or buy at the fixed price everybody has that choice and or take a chance on getting one chaepaer eventually. With advent of ebay and similar you now have another course wait for a second hand to appear , sadly the prices things on ebay go for are either just bonkers or at a bargain price more chance taking again !!

Sadly this also means that no box shifters can get them to sell on discount prices. This in turn is bad for the general retail industry who cant afford to pay for special editions and for us in the long term as eventually the bubble will burst lots of unsold whatever Loco that no one ever wanted or cant afford and the retailer affected goes belly up too.

Therefore anyone who just happens to like said NRM loco pays the price listed. Unless Bachmann or anyone else decide to concentrate only on the mass market instead of producing Special /Limted editions it wont change.

D605Eagle - I'd have been surprised if something as esoteric as a Midland Compound would have been produced in the near future as a production item. Even the more numerous and widespread (read: useful) LMS Compound wasn't looking very likely IMO. Whilst random and dare I say largely irrelevant diesel prototypes have been popular bets for RtR, pre-group steam hasn't really been.

So yeah, if the NRM special does fly off the shelf I'll be glad. The price is steep for my limited budget too* - but perhaps if it proves a roaring success, pennies might drop at Barwell and Margate, and the main ranges could broaden in time. In the NRM's case, I certainly don't grudge them the right to raise money this way, particularly when it brings something into the hobby too.

(* though one nevertheless is on order for assessment just the same)

I'm getting confusalled here..I didn't say that the compound could have been a normal production run did I? It only scored a measly 22 votes in the last poll. The 11F (LNER D11) on the other hand got the highest number of votes of any loco if you add the D10, D11 and D11/2 variants together.

The point of my post is that an NRM commisioned model (not repaint) denys us any other version of that model. You can have Midland 1000, or Midland 1000. Thats it. City of Truro has not been sold as anything other than City of Truro so I don't see 1000 been any different.

If luck runs my way Bachmann will do a D11 soon as a normal production model available over the years in various eras and various sub classes, and the NRM will commision a repaint in GCR passenger livery like they did with the O4 and I will (and this is for coachman) GLADLY pay a premium for.

Hopefully I've made myself clear. If I havn't, I'm going to learn Mandarin instead! :O :lol: :lol:

Archived