Warley NEC 2011

PaulRhB

Will be there on Saturday and I will make sure I am washed and smelling gorgeous! I would love to see the great layout is it called "Crewekerne" I know it is about 10ft by 7ft approx and dcc I believe It has 1 terminus with mpd and a through station it's a smasher of a layout IMHO but sadly it does not appear to be down for this year.

I may have asked this question before but do any of you know which layout I am refering to? I have seen it on youtube before but I can't for the life of me find it if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful.

Will be there on Saturday and I will make sure I am washed and smelling gorgeous! I would love to see the great layout is it called "Crewekerne" I know it is about 10ft by 7ft approx and dcc I believe It has 1 terminus with mpd and a through station it's a smasher of a layout IMHO but sadly it does not appear to be down for this year.

I may have asked this question before but do any of you know which layout I am refering to? I have seen it on youtube before but I can't for the life of me find it if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful.

Is it Crewelisle...?

The answer to the general question of that there are no names relating to the floor plan is to buy an exhibition guide in advance. I come from Plymouth and my local club organises a coach on the Sunday but we don't get there until about 1130. So to not waste any time and to make sure I visit the layouts and trade stands I am really interested in, I order an exhibition guide about two weeks beforehand and plan my 'route' accordingly. Details are on the website.

If it is my layout 'Crewlisle' you are referring to, thanks for the compliment! I have exhibited at the NEC four times; 2009 being the latest. It is not the most detailed layout but I endeavour to have a minimum of two locos running simultaneously and sometimes as many as four. That's what the visitors pay to see! This is where I get most of my compliments for the number of locos actually moving and the amount of track in an 8ft square without it looking over crowded and fits my second bedroom! It represents the WCML from the mid 50s to 1985 with most of the locos seen over this period together with appropriate stock from 'Crabs', Compounds, Jubilees, Stanier pacifics, Black Fives, prototype Deltic, blue and green diesels, AC electrics and finishing with the APT. It is on three interconnecting levels. On the high level is a four platform terminus to take six coach expresses, steam and diesel sheds and goods yard. The mid level is the WCML with overhead electrification and a through station with the reversing loop leaving the down WCML and going under the baseboards to join the up line so the trains can leave and eventually return to the terminus. There is no fiddle yard as I consider them to be wasted space but use twelve 1400mm long cartridges holding complete trains which are stored on a rack under the baseboard and slot in the reversing loop in the operating well. Conversion of the layout to DCC (together with photos of the layout) appeared in Model Rail October and November 2008.

I'm intending to attend the Warley Show this year as I have done for the past few years. As excellent as the layouts on display are, and as comprehensive as are the numerous trade stands, I would offer the following observations - which I have made known to the Warley organisers a while ago, but with seemingly little notice being taken of them regarding the issues over which they do have some degree of control..

I wholeheartedly endorse the comments being made on here about the problems occasioned by those touting rucksacks and and the fact that a goodly number of those attending are in need of lessons in personal hygiene. Some also need to learn how to use public toilets too - avoiding urinating over the seats, flushing the lavatories, and washing their hands after they have attended to their bodily needs. And it isn't just the little boys who are guilty of these lapses!

The comments regarding the poor lighting are also valid. In addition, why is it that those organising this show see fit to occupy but three quarters of Hall 5? This exacerbates the crush and the inability to move around the various trade stands and layouts with any degree of ease. No doubt the Warley organisers will say they pay for how much floorspace they occupy. Well. this is the NATIONAL show and, given the admission charges (see below) it really isn't good enough. The sale of advance tickets has got totally out of hand and, if they are to be of any benefit, then those having purchased them should be admitted to the show an hour before it opens to the general public. Otherwise, if you are at the back of the advance ticket queue, by the time you get in, there isn't much time to see anything before the floodgates are opened to admit the steaming hordes!

The catering provided continues to be both unhealthy and overpriced - hence why I (and many others) take packed lunches. The seating is woefully inadequate. I don't expect seats to be provided for all, but one year I saw an elderly lady being lowered onto the concrete floor by her grandsons to sit and eat her lunch. It isn't acceptable.

This leads me onto this year's prices which, in my view, given the economic mess this country is in, are far too steep. £11.50 for entrance (£8-00 for children 5-16) and £6-00 for a catalogue which is, on past experience, littered with spelling mistakes, addenda, and reversed captions.

It seems to be the case that those organising this show are of the opinion they can continue to keep increasing the admission charges and people will continue to pay them. Well, they may be in for a rude awakening. The only concession to the high admission charges appears to be a "Family Ticket" which is available to two adults and three children. Assuming I am reading the prices correctly, not many people will avail themselves of this offer, as most attend the show do so on their own or perhaps with one child - which is presumably the reason why this "concession" is worded the way it is.

Those attending have to travel to the NEC either by train or by car (and if the latter there is the exorbitant cost of parking at the NEC which will cost a further £8-00) - neither option is cheap. Then they are hit by the admission charges referred to above.

Traders attend not just to advertise their existence but also to sell their wares. Given the economic situation, the cost of getting to the show and the high admission charges, I wonder how many of the traders attending will do so in the future. Their overheads must be considerable and if they then find that they are not seeing much by the way of sales, will they bother to attend in future years?

In the words of a school report, the organisers of this show, in my view, "could do better".

An appeal for help:

Once we have put New Hey up (stand E21) and again after the show has closed on Saturday, our merry band will be in need of refreshment of the kind that is approved and endorsed by CAMRA. As the 'Spoons on campus shuts with the shows, has anyone with any local knowledge have any suggestions as to where thirsty exhibitors can assemble to imbibe quality ale at their leisure. We are staying at the NEC Premier Inn which is "on site" and it would appear to be in the middle of a desert as far as real ale goes. We are not afraid of getting a train from International either!

Interesting to note, exhibitors breakfasts are not in the hotel but in the NEC so the show can open its doors at 9am sharp!

Rather than clutter the thread up with suggestions, a PM might be the answer!

• RMweb Gold

In the words of a school report, the organisers of this show, in my view, "could do better".

I think many of us could quote some sort of 'Warley horror' story be it about the journey, fellow visitors, the crush, the lighting, or the lack of seats or whatever but when all is considered it's a large show with level of trade and layout attendance the word 'large' implies and that means a big venue and all that tends to go with some of that sort of venue. The size of the trade attendance might make it a bit lot easier to spend money in larger quantities than at some other shows as does the apparently increasing tendency for manufacturers to synchronise new releases with Warley.

But we still have a degree of personal freedom in this country and it is no more compulsory for us to attend Warley than it is to attend, or not, any other show or indeed other 'attractions' which could cost more than we think they are worth. All being well I intend to go this year as I have a shopping list (not too long fortunately) and, as ever, I look forward to coming across friends old & new in some part or other of my day out.

PS If you think eight quid is steep for a car park just wonder about having to leave the car at Reading station where a Saturday ticket is quite a lot more - good job the train is free as far as I'm concerned.

Edit - correct typos

I'm intending to attend the Warley Show this year as I have done for the past few years. As excellent as the layouts on display are, and as comprehensive as are the numerous trade stands, I would offer the following observations - which I have made known to the Warley organisers a while ago, but with seemingly little notice being taken of them regarding the issues over which they do have some degree of control..

I wholeheartedly endorse the comments being made on here about the problems occasioned by those touting rucksacks and and the fact that a goodly number of those attending are in need of lessons in personal hygiene. Some also need to learn how to use public toilets too - avoiding urinating over the seats, flushing the lavatories, and washing their hands after they have attended to their bodily needs. And it isn't just the little boys who are guilty of these lapses!

The comments regarding the poor lighting are also valid. In addition, why is it that those organising this show see fit to occupy but three quarters of Hall 5? This exacerbates the crush and the inability to move around the various trade stands and layouts with any degree of ease. No doubt the Warley organisers will say they pay for how much floorspace they occupy. Well. this is the NATIONAL show and, given the admission charges (see below) it really isn't good enough. The sale of advance tickets has got totally out of hand and, if they are to be of any benefit, then those having purchased them should be admitted to the show an hour before it opens to the general public. Otherwise, if you are at the back of the advance ticket queue, by the time you get in, there isn't much time to see anything before the floodgates are opened to admit the steaming hordes!

The catering provided continues to be both unhealthy and overpriced - hence why I (and many others) take packed lunches. The seating is woefully inadequate. I don't expect seats to be provided for all, but one year I saw an elderly lady being lowered onto the concrete floor by her grandsons to sit and eat her lunch. It isn't acceptable.

This leads me onto this year's prices which, in my view, given the economic mess this country is in, are far too steep. £11.50 for entrance (£8-00 for children 5-16) and £6-00 for a catalogue which is, on past experience, littered with spelling mistakes, addenda, and reversed captions.

It seems to be the case that those organising this show are of the opinion they can continue to keep increasing the admission charges and people will continue to pay them. Well, they may be in for a rude awakening. The only concession to the high admission charges appears to be a "Family Ticket" which is available to two adults and three children. Assuming I am reading the prices correctly, not many people will avail themselves of this offer, as most attend the show do so on their own or perhaps with one child - which is presumably the reason why this "concession" is worded the way it is.

Those attending have to travel to the NEC either by train or by car (and if the latter there is the exorbitant cost of parking at the NEC which will cost a further £8-00) - neither option is cheap. Then they are hit by the admission charges referred to above.

Traders attend not just to advertise their existence but also to sell their wares. Given the economic situation, the cost of getting to the show and the high admission charges, I wonder how many of the traders attending will do so in the future. Their overheads must be considerable and if they then find that they are not seeing much by the way of sales, will they bother to attend in future years?

Jonathan.

You don't sound very happy.

Surely it can't be as bad as you say?

Have you considered the Wigan Show or are you

already committed to going to the NEC ?

Mac.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I like Warley.

It's big, so there's lots to see, and usually some exciting new stuff on the manufacturers' stands too.

My local station charges £7 per day parking, so £8 seems reasonable, and there aren't many attractions nowadays that will give you a day's entertainment for £11.50!

cheers

Ben A.

Parking at the station - Birmingham International was £6 last year... cheaper than the main NEC parking... then just walk through the stn into the NEC - cheaper and far quicker than waiting for the bus. That was my tip anyway

• RMweb Premium

£8 parking....I used to get regularly stung for £12+ when working in Brum for a working day's parking. Still it's an expensive show when admission and parking come to just under £20. Mind you, as said above more than once, attending Warley isn't compulsory and each of us has to make the private decision whether this is deemed good or poor value. Sharing a car, catching the train or booking in advance have all been cited as ways to save money if planning ahead is possible. Sure if BBM and twitter can be used by the unruly to organise disturbances it's not beyond the capabilities of normal (sane?) folk to offer and take up car share on sites such as RMweb.

We'll be there all weekend for 'free' as an exhibitor having given up 3 days of our time to hopefully entertain the public. Be sure to say hello to folk wearing black shirts with snazzy silver lizard motifs - it's the new 'livery' for Diesels in the Duchy operators ;-)

wearing black shirts with snazzy silver lizard motifs - it's the new 'livery' for Diesels in the Duchy operators ;-)

It doesn't matter how smartly you dress; you still eat pies. :)

In the spirit of 2manyenvironmentallyconsciousideas' post if anyone between me and there wants a lift on Sunday just give me a shout.

snip

In the spirit of 2manyenvironmentallyconsciousideas' post if anyone between me and there wants a lift on Sunday just give me a shout.

Akshually what about a car share thread for people offering lifts to shows? and maybe lifts wanted.. as an ex car owner living in a city where car ownership is a rather costly luxury that get used once a week at best.. (well for me) Just a thought..

Tom

£8 parking....I used to get regularly stung for £12+ when working in Brum for a working day's parking. Still it's an expensive show when admission and parking come to just under £20. Mind you, as said above more than once, attending Warley isn't compulsory and each of us has to make the private decision whether this is deemed good or poor value.

Welcome to the world of capitalism, where they set the prices according to other facilities such as airports and city centre locations instead of working it out based on how much it costs to provide the service plus a small profit. £8 per car is quite drankly extortion for an outside space that is usually a shuttle bus or long walk away from the hall.

Speaking of prices, I wouldn't mind paying a bit more on the entrance fee it it guaranteed a cheaper guide book and better value food/drink/cloakroom facilities inside the exhibition. You have to admit the ticket price is cheap compared to other shows at this "National" venue, even if you only get an oversized regular show instead of something more fitting of this title.

For an "Oversized regular show" it still takes me all day Saturday to get round it (including advance ticket holders' early entry time!).... So I don't consider £10 for the entry fee bad value. Of course the entry fee is probably dictated by the rent charged, which like the parking and the food is outside Warley's control.

And I think the £21 return fare I got from Reading (11.6 p/mile)'s pretty good value too! (Given the cost of the parking, I'd have to drive at 7p/mile to beat it!)

• RMweb Premium

(Apologies for the formatting - I don't know what's happened in the editor)

Warley/NEC is like Marmite - you either love it or hate it.

My bold highlight

They (NEC or Warley) have no control over people's personal hygiene habits. Although I do sympathise that a goodly number of folk appear to have NO control over their own personal hygiene habits either.

The comments regarding the poor lighting are also valid.

Again, Warley have no control over the hall lighting - as mentioned elsewhere, but they do have control over exhibiting layouts that aren't lit to cope with the hall. The NEC normally houses large trade shows with visiting exhibitors that spend LOTS of money on their own stand, including lighting. Layout exhibitors (and traders) know the lighting is bad, they should take steps themselves to ensure their own layout is lit, although the the traders suffer as they can be charged significant sums for provision of a power supply by the NEC - again, Warley have NO control over this charge.

In addition, why is it that those organising this show see fit to occupy but three quarters of Hall 5? This exacerbates the crush and the inability to move around the various trade stands and layouts with any degree of ease. No doubt the Warley organisers will say they pay for how much floorspace they occupy. Well. this is the NATIONAL show and, given the admission charges (see below) it really isn't good enough.

I'm sure that Warley do their maths to ensure that admission and other income exceeds expenditure, but not at the risk of cutting "profit" to the bone - why spend money on extra space that for at least 80% of the time the show is open, isn't needed. They have to generate profit (surplus) in case of a bad year - see below.

The sale of advance tickets has got totally out of hand and, if they are to be of any benefit, then those having purchased them should be admitted to the show an hour before it opens to the general public. Otherwise, if you are at the back of the advance ticket queue, by the time you get in, there isn't much time to see anything before the floodgates are opened to admit the steaming hordes!

Maybe Warley/NEC is a victim of it's own success and could limit the number of advance tickets to prevent the above.

All catering is under NEC control, the operators will be paying huge franchise fees to run the catering outlets. Seats, like tables at venues such as the NEC cost money - see above about costs.

The proof will be in the pudding this year - I'm sure the Warley organisers are fully aware that the economic climate (and for that matter, the physical climate - if it snows heavily - it is late November after all, , attendance would be decimated) could play a huge part - in any year. Warley need funds in reserve (see costs/profit etc above) to prop up a bad year.

It seems to be the case that those organising this show are of the opinion they can continue to keep increasing the admission charges and people will continue to pay them.

As you said in your first line - you're intending going, so are prepared to pay the higher price. If you feel so strongly, then don't go.

Well, they may be in for a rude awakening. The only concession to the high admission charges appears to be a "Family Ticket" which is available to two adults and three children. Assuming I am reading the prices correctly, not many people will avail themselves of this offer, as most attend the show do so on their own or perhaps with one child - which is presumably the reason why this "concession" is worded the way it is.

You have the choice.

Cheers,

Mick

Archived