'O' gauge ? first tentative steps. Corrugated goods shed part 3: Painting and weathering

David Siddall

• RMweb Premium

Mojo in absentia...

...not helped by the fact that as a consequence of plans for a move being put on hold for the foreseeable future I've scrapped two perfectly good baseboards! :-/

However, I am slightly suspicious that the universe might be dropping hints? During the mass clear-out which occurred in anticipation of ending up living and modelling in a shoe box I discovered an Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0, a 45xx Prairie and a 57xx I didn't know I had... sadly not 7-mil though, now that would have been something!

On the up side the 121 is now glazed...

BFN... David

On the plus side you made a start and even the abortive layout got further than mine (which is yet to be started) and I'm sure you learnt loads along the way...

Chin up.

• RMweb Gold

I presume BFN indicates that modelling is suspended pending a move. It is a good idea to keep a few tools and do some odd bits. Put together the odd kit. I used to take a Slater's kit and a few tools in my briefcase and assemble one whilst travelling to and from a meeting (choosing to go by train for that reason). So it doesn't take much.

Don

So is it back to plan "A" or continue with plan "B" as the downsizing will happen sometime?
I agree Don I used to take a wagon kit with me when I was away working, turning my hotel room into a mini workshop.  Saved me sitting at the bar all night slowly getting pickled.

Regards

I'm sure you learnt loads along the way...

Certainly did and no regrets about that...

I presume BFN indicates that modelling is suspended pending a move.

The move's off for the foreseeable future Don, several issues came together to scupper it... modelling will continue but it's now way down the priority list...

So is it back to plan "A" or continue with plan "B" as the downsizing will happen sometime?

Well I think the answer, once things settle down a bit (he says hopefully), is going to be an industrial micro in 7-mil so that'd be 'Plan B' then Barny; but maybe with an interim 'Plan C' snuck in there first, something equally compact and super-cheap in 4-mil using my 'finds'!

Whatever I do though my Hymek and the 121 (when its finished in the next couple of weeks or so) will have to be sold... staying put means finding some money to keep our elderly and cranky second car going for a while longer. Hopefully there'll be a bit left over...

D

maybe with an interim 'Plan C' snuck in there first, something equally compact and super-cheap in 4-mil using my 'finds'!

This is where I am currently, albeit in 2mm, it's such a nice change to pick up a van for £3 - devilish small, mind.....

I like 7mm and I shall continue in it, but I do need to set some trains running and sit back with a glass of wine.....

• RMweb Gold

You have my sympathy David, it is a shame to sell the 121 as you have put so much into it. Fortunately for me it has been a few years since things were that tight but I haven't forgotten. If you want to see how to do 7mm on the cheap look at Jim Reads thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69670-moxley-bull-lane-7mm-micro/

Don

Such is life Don, but thanks anyway, indeed thanks to all my friends – your support is hugely appreciated! I've been an admirer of Jim's work since he started his 'Moxley' thread... however I've maybe come up with another way of tackling 7-mil on a seriously restricted budget?

What I'm thinking is that I could still build a very small layout based on the first of my 'micro' plans –  I really don't want to give up on the scale and after all I'll have enough hand-built track and scenic bits and pieces left. I don't think it'll therefore involve spending more than a few pounds on what could be some very basic baseboard materials.

post-2991-0-91143500-1382201840_thumb.jpg

The layout would initially be a diorama – in other words a scenic location on which to park my modest collection of (6) wagons – onto which I could introduce a small industrial loco in kit form at a later date.

I frequently find myself defining my life by song titles so it's currently... 'Money's too tight to mention' by Simply Red but also (more positively) 'I get knocked down but I get up again' by Chumbawumba ;-)

D

BTW: The track plan is based on a prototype, Croft in North Yorkshire!

Such is life Don, but thanks anyway, indeed thanks to all my friends – your support is hugely appreciated! I've been an admirer of Jim's work since he started his 'Moxley' thread... however I've maybe come up with another way of tackling 7-mil on a seriously restricted budget?

What I'm thinking is that I could still build a very small layout based on the first of my 'micro' plans –  I really don't want to give up on the scale and after all I'll have enough hand-built track and scenic bits and pieces left. I don't think it'll therefore involve spending more than a few pounds on what could be some very basic baseboard materials.

attachicon.gif7mm scale rural goods depot 8' loa.jpg

The layout would initially be a diorama – in other words a scenic location on which to park my modest collection of (6) wagons – onto which I could introduce a small industrial loco in kit form at a later date.

I frequently find myself defining my life by song titles so it's currently... 'Money's too tight to mention' by Simply Red but also (more positively) 'I get knocked down but I get up again' by Chumbawumba ;-)

D

BTW: The track plan is based on a prototype, Croft in North Yorkshire!

Nice simple plan David. Glad to see you are sticking with 7mm. Keep up with the postings.

Dougal.

P.s Kudos for mentioning Chumbawumba.

• RMweb Gold

Go for it David. When I built my Sparrows Wharf layout the wood and ply was all second hand bits and pieces. I had to hand build the turnouts and make the crossings etc. as I couldn't afford more. I had about half a dozen slaters wagons and managed to scrape together £200 quid for a first loco. The Ixion tank is a better loco than  my first one.  At the first exhibition a friend lent me a scratch built loco and a coach because I just didn't have enough stock. It was fun though.

Don

ps sorry about the bold it doesn't seem to want to change

• 2 weeks later...

Well... my Easybuild 121 is now as finished as I can make it... 

post-2991-0-73886200-1383501263.jpg

post-2991-0-91471800-1383501271.jpg

It's a smooth enough runner (albeit bit of a growly one) and it's looking for a new home if anyone feels inclined to make me an offer. It's probably a bit fragile to entrust to the post though – if you are interested please think of all those individual glazing pieces, steps and dangly bits and bear in mind the bashing the Royal Snail regularly hands out to parcels containing anything fragile!

I suppose I should remind myself that it's my first attempt at kit-building and painting anything more complex than a wagon but realistically what have I learned from the experience? Mainly that kit-building of any complexity probably isn't for me. It's taken me a ridiculous amount of time and my efforts fall so far short of current r-t-r quality it's frustrating... but hey at least I've given it a go and it's got the correct roof ventilators :-)

Bye for now...

David

• RMweb Gold

I think you will find that everyone takes a lot longer on their first complex kit. The question is did you enjoy doing it? Was the end result worth the effort? Well below rtr standards I think you are being too hard on yourself, it is possibly true if you by a professionally painted Bachman one but there is not the same satisfaction and you need a lot of money. However it is your hobby and if you didn't enjoy it no point in doing things you don't enjoy. I hope you continue with the 0 gauge industrial theme.

Don

David.

Looking at the photos I think you're being a bit hard on yourself saying your efforts fall short, etc.  It looks good to me.   

I do hope you find a good home for it.

On the subject of it being "a bit growly", I've had the same trouble with my Thumper (which was also squeaky as well!!) but I took a friend's advice and put toothpaste (white with red and blue stripes!!!) on the gears and ran it for an hour or so in both directions on my rolling road and it's as sweet running as anything now.  I do wonder now just what the paste actually does to your teeth!!!!

Rod

PS         The toothpaste doesn't have to be red, white and blue!!!  Any colour will do, apparently!!

Hi David,

I think you deserve 11/10 for perseverance and 10/10 for the finish that you have achieved, well done. I too hope you find a deserving home for the model and look forward to reading of your industrial scene exploits.

cheers

Mike

David.

Looking at the photos I think you're being a bit hard on yourself saying your efforts fall short, etc.  It looks good to me.   

I do hope you find a good home for it.

On the subject of it being "a bit growly", I've had the same trouble with my Thumper (which was also squeaky as well!!) but I took a friend's advice and put toothpaste (white with red and blue stripes!!!) on the gears and ran it for an hour or so in both directions on my rolling road and it's as sweet running as anything now.  I do wonder now just what the paste actually does to your teeth!!!!

Rod

PS         The toothpaste doesn't have to be red, white and blue!!!  Any colour will do, apparently!!

Hi Rod,

Basically toothpaste is a 'grinding paste' (akin to those used for bedding in valves and valve seats et al.) I was told this by an old engineer friend of mine. Those were the days when we would have to 'decoke' an engine (upper/cylinder head).

From the general knowledge point of view, for our models, in the ideal world, the motor needs running-in (eg 10 mins each way on a battery), the motor and gears/gearbox then needs running-in (10 mins ecah way on a battery), then the motor/gears/gearbox wheel sets in the bogie etc etc. then as Rod did, a good old running in session on a roundy roundy layout or rolling road, under light running conditions, with the aid of toothpaste or similar (if required). Rod's remedial tip is bang on for sorting out the gear noise. Hope that helps

Hi David,

I think you deserve 11/10 for perseverance and 10/10 for the finish that you have achieved, well done. I too hope you find a deserving home for the model and look forward to reading of your industrial scene exploits.

cheers

Mike

I agree Mike.

David, I think that the DMU looks great, I am slow at modelling too (for a myriad of reasons) but by and large I enjoy what I do (some models fight me every step of the way) yet if it isnt for you and you dont enjoy it then it's a brave, but right decision IMHO, to focus your efforts elsewhere. I concur with others though as the outcome of your model looks brilliant and well worth the time and efforts.

There have been times when I have wanted to give up on certain modelling projects/aspects of - again due to a myriad of reasons (including rotten baseboards) - and when one comes out the other side, hopefully wiser from the experience, one is then better informed on how - or if - to tackle it next time.

Kind regards,

CME

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77273-down-ampney/page-2

Your finish build looks great David but people carrying is not my thing 'cept for the occasional works carriage for the industrial areas of my choice.  This would normally be a drop out from main-line service carriage, the more battered the better.

I'm sure your 121 will sell quickly, just don't divide the sell price by the number of hours you worked on it. :O :no:

Regards

• 4 weeks later...

Infernal combustion locomotives look so much more dignified painted in 'proper' colours – i.e. maroon or green. Unless you can come up with evidence of a 121 in Chromatic Blue then I might just be interested ;-)

D

Hi david

Really enjoyed reading through this thread while I contemplate changing from 4mm to 7mm, too late now, but I found a photo of a 121 in what seems to be Chromatic blue,

post-4712-0-24548000-1385635389.jpg

Used with Bob's permission, not to be reproduced.

Ian

I found a photo of a 121 in what seems to be Chromatic blue

...Ian, I have to say that photo really must claim a prize in the 'prototype for everything' stakes. A (possibly chromatic) blue 121 with a small yellow warning panel and one oval and one clipped large Oleo on one end. What a gem :-)

In case anyone thought I'd fallen off the planet I haven't, I've just been a tad buffeted about by the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune over recent few months. I am however nearly ready to have another go at a 7-mil layout in the form of a budget 'micro'. I even considered bidding on a part-built Underhill Peckett on a certain well-known auction site ...however I decided to bail when the price went way beyond what I understand the ABS version of the kit costs new!

Hey ho... as I've mentioned in an earlier post I'm thinking I can always build what I have in mind as a display for my somewhat modest wagon collection and add motive power later.

David

Glad to hear you are still enthused David. Meanwhile you can get your own back by commenting on my proposals for my loft layout.

My enthusiasm's been around for so long Don I suspect it'd take quite a lot to wipe it out completely... but thank you for that. It's the continued support of friends which is making a major contribution to keeping me feeling positive.

Seeing as you issued the invitation I have made a couple of observations about your proposals... in summary: nice loft conversion/good looking track plan :-)

TTFN

David

My enthusiasm's been around for so long Don I suspect it'd take quite a lot to wipe it out completely...

TTFN

David

Hi David

Glad you still have your enthusiasm, it was reading your post that started me looking into O Guage!

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

So... it's 2014 and it's time to reboot my modelling mojo! I hope you all had a good Christmas, that the effects of New Year's Eve are now no more than a slightly queasy memory and that none of you are suffering from floods?

After several months stuck in the modelling doldrums, and despite being sorely tempted by the delights of Hornby's expanded range of 3rd rail electrics, I've decided, been gently but firmly persuaded by several friends to persevere with 7-mil. Actually it wasn't that difficult a choice... apart from anything else it was the lowest cost way forward (a critical factor) and despite what's gone before I actually enjoyed my abortive 'first tentative steps' into the senior scale.

This time I'll be trying to exploit the 'less is more' principle. Having seen just what can be achieved in a small space (Marc Smith's 'Poynton Sneer Sidings' being (IMO) an outstanding example) the new baseboard for the visual section of what I'm proposing – which I have been patiently crafting bodging together over the Christmas break from some recovered timber and a sheet of shop-soiled 9mm MDF – will be no more than 6' long and distinctly low-tech.

Indeed my whole approach this time is going to be geared to pragmatism. If I can't afford a loco for a while so be it... the layout can be a diorama upon which to experiment with things of a scenic nature and on which which I can display my exceedingly modest collection of kit-built wagons.

I'm not even going to think about a fiddle yard either until (1) I know that I can make a go of the scenic bit and (2) I decide whether I'm going to attempt a modest 'industrial' steam loco kit or be patient and wait for Dapol's 08 so I can continue my 1960s theme.

My chosen trackplan is therefore delightfully simple and is inspired by Croft in North Yorkshire complete with coal-drops. This conveniently requires no more than my two hand-build turnouts (A5s being ideal for such a bucolic location) and my small collection of hand-build 60' track panels. It has also been done incredibly well in 4-mil finescale (which you can enjoy here on Facebook) so I've got no excuse for failing for lack of inspiration.

post-2991-0-91143500-1382201840_thumb.jp

This is the new baseboard so far – it took a fraction of the time to build when compared to my previous ultra light-weight efforts. I hope it'll be quieter too!

post-2991-0-02558300-1388603803.jpg

post-2991-0-75887600-1388603856.jpg

post-2991-0-00266100-1388603879.jpg

So... let's see what happens this time :-)

Happy New Year to one and all!

David

Archived