'O' gauge ? first tentative steps. Corrugated goods shed part 3: Painting and weathering

David Siddall

Well... my first attempt at O gauge is no more! Track lifting and recovery took place at Little Shuffling yesterday in preparation for our exercise in domestic downsizing and the baseboards have been consigned to the recycling skip (...and I'm never ever going to build baseboards like that again – light they may be but way too much work and far too noisy!).

The good news however, (on the same day no less and therefore highly auspicious ;-) ...an r-t-r J94 in 7-mil scale for £299.95! An altogether excellent (and affordable) companion for a couple of kit-built industrials and a Dapol '08' IMO. I was wondering whether the J94 might be Ixion's next release but that's now something else to look forward to :-)

Layout building on my new project won't be starting for a while but we've agreed that my workbench can stay in place until we start packing so I can crack on and finish the 121. I've also got some wagon work in hand. The temptation to revert to a smaller scale may have been strong but the potential delights of an all-new industrial-style, freight-only, micro in 7-mil are currently proving to be far stronger :-)

Bye for now...

David

PS: Whilst CAD illustrations of their new models are available on RMW, DJ Models' new website isn't particularly easy to find as yet so here's the address in case anyone wants it: http://djmodels.co.uk/. No doubt the URL will proliferate in due course but in the meantime time 'enjoy' and join me in wishing Dave Jones all the best with his new venture.

PPS: If anyone is interested in a weathered and detailed Hymek, (which has had all it's primary gears checked and replaced where necessary and has a spare just in case), feel free to make me an offer. Cosmetic work I've done on it includes flush-glazing the cab-front windows and route indicator box, individual etched numbers (Severnmill Nameplates), replacement cab steps (PH Designs) and light weathering.

PPPS: My first hand-built turnout survived the rigors of track-lifting intact – yay :-) 

Reasons to be cheerful, part.... (oh I dunno... three hundred and twenty four :-)

Having decided to go 'industrial' I'm now free to deploy a few 'older' wagons – 'internal user' I think they were called –  and despite all the adverse comments I rather like the look of Dapol's ready-to-run planked opens so...

On Sunday morning I noticed that Hattons were selling an 8-plank variant in BR grey for £29 when all their others are £35...

On Sunday afternoon I ordered one – I reasoned that even if I couldn't get to Telford I could still share that 'new toy' feeling with some of you who did...

On Sunday evening I received an email saying my order had been packed and dispatched (pretty impressive I thought)...

However, not to be outdone, the couriers delivered it lunchtime today – Monday! Now (IMO) that's service...

post-2991-0-90784800-1378733480.jpg

And I actually don't care that its parentage may have been called into question, I just reckon I got an attractive model at a good price delivered within slightly less than 24 hours – ta dah :-)

TTFN...

David

PS: Even one's wife was impressed... mainly by the exceptionally high standard of Dapol's packaging ;-)

Hattons were very quick suppling me as well, so obviously good to do business with. :no:

(My problems with Dapol concerned quality control, or rather lack of.)

Edit: I don't know why, but 0 gauge models, that I have received, have all been very substantially packaged.

(I think I might use the foam to help deaden the noise of my baseboards.)

My problems with Dapol concerned quality control, or rather lack of.

Well, I gave it a seriously good shake and nothing fell off! Nice crisp moulding, well-applied paintwork 'n lettering and runs nicely too. Perhaps my strategy of hanging on a bit proved to be worthwhile quality- as well as price-wise?

I don't know why, but 0 gauge models, that I have received, have all been very substantially packaged. 

Quite reassuring if you've ever posted a Heljan loco... the cost is sufficient to bring tears to the eyes; the thought of damage in transit would be justification for getting ever so slightly suicidal :-/

David

Looks a very good model David plus a big thumb's up for Hatton's based on your experience.
 I used to live just down the road from them, Penny Lane and Strawberry fields of Beatles fame are also just  along the road a 100 yards or so too.

I sold my first railway bits in my early teens to them for cash, needed some readys to impress the new girl friend.

LOL memories, thanks David.

Well, I gave it a seriously good shake and nothing fell off! Nice crisp moulding, well-applied paintwork 'n lettering and runs nicely too. Perhaps my strategy of hanging on a bit proved to be worthwhile quality- as well as price-wise?

Quite reassuring if you've ever posted a Heljan loco... the cost is sufficient to bring tears to the eyes; the thought of damage in transit would be justification for getting ever so slightly suicidal :-/

David

I am not sure how long Hattons have been trading but my parents brought my first railway layout back in 1966 from Hattons, money was tight then and it was all second hand Dublo 3 rail track,locos, wagons and coaches. And it was dispatched and  delivered in an old " suitcase ", wrapped in brown paper. I will never forget it, and I have Hattons to thank for this life long hobby I have had.

ATB,

Martyn.

Grrr... and several words beginning with 'b'...

...I think I mentioned that the lining transfers I used can stretch? Well I believe this is what happens when you don't think they've stretched but they actually have....they split as they dry!

post-2991-0-71580500-1378925300.jpg

Fortunately the problem only affects about 30% of one stripe on one side and I've got enough lining left over for a second attempt.

Not a gripe at the manufacturer by the way... just a cautionary tale!

D

PS: Suddenly I understand the appeal of rail blue ;-)

Hi David.

Bad news on the lining! I've had it happen to me before and it's blimmin frustrating! In future, use plenty of water, (teach them to swim), and the transfers should move freely and give you plenty of time to adjust them. I always draw a line along the body too to help alignment.

I would also perhaps leave the cracked lining in place and then just overlay the new section to save you having to retry a straight line.

All the above is just friendly advice for what I still see as a lovely bit of modelling.

Cheers.

Sean.

Odd thought David are there no photos of real ones with a bit of the lining missing. Ok probably wouldn't work on a model.

That thought had crossed my mind Don and whilst I've come across evidence of un-lined two-car sets in green (albeit with speed whiskers) no references or photos of 121s or 122s in the same basic livery.

Bad news on the lining! I've had it happen to me before and it's blimmin frustrating! In future, use plenty of water, (teach them to swim), and the transfers should move freely and give you plenty of time to adjust them. I always draw a line along the body too to help alignment.

I would also perhaps leave the cracked lining in place and then just overlay the new section to save you having to retry a straight line.

Thanks Sean, its advice and moral support like that which keeps me truckin' slowly but inexorably towards a conclusion on this build – BTW your McRat is looking rather splendid :-)

David

• RMweb Premium

Even with film of knuckle couplers on industrial stock, I suspect you'll still get fok saying they are wrong!

At one show with Treneglos I had a chap who was insistent that U1s never ran on the line - even after I showed him photos in the NCR book.....

Decided that I was talking to the 121 again this afternoon so spent a few minutes sorting the errant lining – followed Sean's advice and patched the bits that needed re-doing by laying new over the top of the split 1st attempt and all seems well? :-)

And then for some reason, having added all the door handles and grabs down side two and sorted the destination blinds, I decided to have a go at the exhausts (well three goes actually, but fortunately Easybuild supply lots of everything so there was plenty of brass rod to experiment with!). Getting that distinctive series of bends right is difficult enough but created a handed pair that match caused me to mutter and cuss a bit. However, I think (?) it worked!

post-2991-0-60754900-1379179764.jpg

Tomorrow a coat of varnish over the sides and ends. Well that's the plan anyway :-/ .

David

More industrial distractions, this time featuring Kilmersdon Colliery's Peckett and what looks suspiciously like the prototype for Dapol's 8-plank wagon! The's also loads of Welsh colliery footage including mountain Ash's 57xx pannier and a J94/Austerity. No sound on this one but great quality considering it was filmed on 8mm cine stock in the 1960s / 70s.

D

If you want some noise after the preceding silent movie check out any of these videos of preserved industrials being given some serious work to do at Foxfield. I came across them whilst searching for more historic material and I've NEVER seen or heard small locos worked like this before – can you imagine being able to recreate the 'volcanic' effect in model form? :-)

http://youtu.be/tS9hjU3OdQQ

The industrial steam bug seems to have quite a bite and with Baenavon just up the road I might just be up for a bit of the real stuff too – particularly as the P&BR has some notable gradients of its own and is home to RSH Austerity 0-6-0 71515 'Mech Navvies Ltd' which features so spectacularly in a couple of these vids. :-)

And if you haven't come across it yet check out this inspirational piece of industrial modelling in 7-mil scale (it's in the 'UK Standard Gauge Industrial' section!)

David

Archived