'O' gauge ? first tentative steps. Corrugated goods shed part 3: Painting and weathering

David Siddall

Industrials also offer the option of a first, relatively simple, brass kit build if and when you do get up the courage.  Connoisseur's starter loco or, for a few quid more, their Y7 provide ideal micro motive power for ~175GBP and about the simplest etched build you're going to find.  Having built a Y7 and a couple of Jim's wagon kits I'd actually class the loco as less challenging than, say, a brake van.  In contrast, I find the cost and the whitemetal build of a DJH 03 to be rather frightening.

There are lots of options when you start looking at small industrial locos. Ruston of this parish has several really good threads on his various builds. I like this one on the ex- Eric Underhill now ABS/zero Zephyrs Peckett W6 in this thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/57249-abs-zero-zephyrs-peckett-w6-build/

Perfick... thanks Dave, that's one handsome little industrial!

In the absence of a website to provide said info' can you/anyone advise whether ABS still supply the tank in the current Peckett W6 kit in resin?

It's also super-timely that Ruston's 'Tower Barclay, thread is active again? Lot's of lovely industrial inspiration :-)

David

In the absence of a website to provide said info' can you/anyone advise whether ABS still supply the tank in the current Peckett W6 kit in resin?

David

According to the ABS catalogue that I have (2012) the one-piece tank is resin, the rest of the body and fittings are whitemetal. The chassis is screwed-together milled brass with milled n/s rods. The cross heads are lost wax castings. Kit price is (was) £139.

Cheers

Dave

It's also super-timely that Ruston's 'Tower Barclay, thread is active again? Lot's of lovely industrial inspiration :-)

David

Hi David,

Just give Adrian Swain (ABS) a call he is very helpful and extremely knowledgeable.

Kind regards,

CME

According to the ABS catalogue that I have (2012) the one-piece tank is resin, the rest of the body and fittings are whitemetal. The chassis is screwed-together milled brass with milled n/s rods. The cross heads are lost wax castings. Kit price is (was) £139.

Excellent, thanks Dave...

Just give Adrian Swain (ABS) a call he is very helpful and extremely knowledgeable.

I shall endeavor to do that very thing CME...

I'm only just getting into the whole 'industrial thing' but with inspiration like this 1970 photo 1) what's not to like and 2); what excuse is there not to stay modelling in 7-mil despite the impending reduction in available space? :-)

David

The ABS Peckett was my first 0 gauge locomotive kit. It was a straight-forward  build and the resin superstructue was finely cast. I thought it was a good choice for a frst build and I used all of the original parts. The only modification was to cut open the cab rear so that the lovely detail was on view.  Here are a couple of shots. It featured in an article in the Railway Modeller a few years ago, but has since been sold. I have also attached my ex-Swansea Harbour Trust Peckett built from the Agenoria kit.

post-13142-0-09332300-1378156870_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-63162400-1378156874_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-98593400-1378156981_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-63545100-1378156984_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-71314200-1378156986_thumb.jpg

This industrial steam thing is 100% captivating (never really gave it a thought before).... should be working but currently being seriously distracted by 43-odd minutes of superbly atmospheric video:

...lovin' Baddesly Colliery's baby Garratt (sequence starts at 7:24). Lot's of industrial steam in really attractive rural surroundings too (e.g. Kilmersdon Colliery – sequence from 24:24)  – I always assumed it'd be totally um... 'industrial' :-)

David

PS: Have just come across the beast that is the 'Mardy Monster' – a Peckett OQ 0-6-0 saddle tank touting more grunt than a Black 5 (actually, to get a bit Clarksonian... '7 freights'!) .... crickey ;-)

This industrial steam thing is 100% captivating (never really gave it a thought before).... should be working but currently being seriously distracted by 43-odd minutes of superbly atmospheric video:

Thanks for the post, David

I enjoyed it so much, I've just bought the DVD! (new £6.50 on the bay of E) If anyone else wants one, it's no. 60 titled 'Sir Berkeley' in the British Steam Railways series from the d'Agostini partwork. Hopefully the DVD film quality will be better than YouTube.

Dave

The ABS Peckett was my first 0 gauge locomotive kit. It was a straight-forward  build and the resin superstructue was finely cast. I thought it was a good choice for a frst build and I used all of the original parts. The only modification was to cut open the cab rear so that the lovely detail was on view.  Here are a couple of shots. It featured in an article in the Railway Modeller a few years ago, but has since been sold. I have also attached my ex-Swansea Harbour Trust Peckett built from the Agenoria kit.

That Swansea harbour trust Peckett looks very fetching, I would like to see that on Canton

As the video shows wth the Garrett, industrial locos don't need to be small, but most people can accommodate a private siding or two with a simple shunt for a small loco. When I eventually build my threatened South Wales themed layout it will incorporate main-line and industrial scenes. South Wales is fascinating subject for a model railway. I like the 1950s with its mix of pre-grouping and Big 4 locos in BR guise. The steep-sided valleys provide ample scope for retaining walls, bridges, tunnels, steep gradients, cramped industrial and mineral facilities and all the other devices that support a realistic layout in a confined space. There are plenty of DVDs covering South Wales industrial steam. Meanwhile, here are some shots of a large industrial tank in the form of the Kerr Stuart Victory class 0-6-0T. It is built from the Agenoria kit, which has parts for the GWR versions including the ominously numbered 666 formerly of the Alexandra and Newport Docks Railway, which survived into BR days. One day I will build this version. My model is compensated on the front two axles and is fitted with DCC sound. Sheets of roofing lead in the tanks make it a powerful machine.

post-13142-0-37710900-1378238835_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-58473800-1378238837_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Nice build Chris. South Wales is indeed a rich area for industrial steam. Some years ago on the same day I drove a King and the Cadbury tank engine at Tysley. Talk about little and large. However it will be difficult to find room for a train fit for my King but a small tank engine and a few wagons.... My particular favourite engine is a model of 1365 which my friend Steve put together for me. 

Don

This industrial steam thing is 100% captivating (never really gave it a thought before).... should be working but currently being seriously distracted by 43-odd minutes of superbly atmospheric video.

Enchanting............wonderful sound quality and great to hear how grindingly, clankingly noisy these railways were. :locomotive:

I think we're getting to understand part of the Ixion predilection for industrial locos!

We do indeed like industrials. However, they have also made good commercial sense so far. Mass producing RTR O gauge for the UK market is a risky business. We tested the market with the brass Manning Wardle 0-4-0T H class in a limited run of 103, 100 for sale and one for each of the Ixion owners. I think Chris Basten at Dragon Models has only two or three remaining in stock. We then went for the Hudswell Clarke because it was a very long-lived locomotive, is small, was almost a celebrity in the form of Easingwold No 2 and because industrials have no regional or company allegiance.  Anyone can justify a private siding or two and industrial railways allow small, cramped, but interesting locations with bags of modelling potential as well as sharp curves; look at the superb Reely Grate layout on another forum. We have sold almost 900 Hudswell Clarkes, including almost 90 in Australia, which astonishes me.

We have drawn up the specification for our next loco and are waiting for the costings. I can say that it will not be a Duchess, King, Merchant Navy, A4 or anything large. We'll leave those to the mega-expensive RTR segment of the market. Stay tuned.

...lovin' Baddesly Colliery's baby Garratt (sequence starts at 7:24). Lot's of industrial steam in really attractive rural surroundings too (e.g. Kilmersdon Colliery – sequence from 24:24)  – I always assumed it'd be totally um... 'industrial' :-)

David

PS: Have just come across the beast that is the 'Mardy Monster' – a Peckett OQ 0-6-0 saddle tank touting more grunt than a Black 5 (actually, to get a bit Clarksonian... '7 freights'!) .... crickey ;-)

Great find David and a joy to watch, thanks for sharing.

By the way I am going to Telford at the weekend so let me know if there's anything specific you want me to discuss with ABS.

Alan.

As the video shows wth the Garrett, industrial locos don't need to be small, but most people can accommodate a private siding or two with a simple shunt for a small loco. When I eventually build my threatened South Wales themed layout it will incorporate main-line and industrial scenes. South Wales is fascinating subject for a model railway. I like the 1950s with its mix of pre-grouping and Big 4 locos in BR guise. The steep-sided valleys provide ample scope for retaining walls, bridges, tunnels, steep gradients, cramped industrial and mineral facilities and all the other devices that support a realistic layout in a confined space. There are plenty of DVDs covering South Wales industrial steam. Meanwhile, here are some shots of a large industrial tank in the form of the Kerr Stuart Victory class 0-6-0T. It is built from the Agenoria kit, which has parts for the GWR versions including the ominously numbered 666 formerly of the Alexandra and Newport Docks Railway, which survived into BR days. One day I will build this version. My model is compensated on the front two axles and is fitted with DCC sound. Sheets of roofing lead in the tanks make it a powerful machine.

That is one superior looking industrial Chris and some very tasty modelling... the same sort of presence IMO as an Austerity 0-6-0 and probably as much grunt!

I'm only just beginning to appreciate that steam was still working in South Wales in the surroundings you describe late into the 1970s (possibly longer?) and as I dig deeper I'm discovering such delights as wooden-bodied mineral wagons still in use at much the same time!

The decrepit state of some of the stock towards the end is astonishing, just look at the patching on this saddle-tank... http://www.flickr.com/photos/curly42/5884241483/lightbox/. I initially though this photo (taken circa 1967) might have been 'enhanced' but closer technical inspection suggests not :-/

Oh yes... and industrial steam enthusiast can use Peco points with impunity... I'm spotting hinged blades (a.k.a. heel switches I think) all over the industrial system. Indeed my carefully hand-built C&L A5s might actually be in rather too good a condition to represent industrial turnouts ;-)

David

Archived