'O' gauge ? first tentative steps. Corrugated goods shed part 3: Painting and weathering

David Siddall

'Working' coal-drops would be nice... but the underside of the Piercy 13t wooden-bodied hopper looks a tad busy already. There are no doubt modelers who could make this happen without even breaking a sweat (especially in 7-mil). But I think I'd be happy enough to get the layout finished. Perhaps I'll review it then ;-)

David

Thanks Rob... if it's in 7-mil I look forward to seeing the outcome. I, on the other hand, have all sorts of bits crossed in the hope that DJ Models succeed with their 'OO' r-t-r model and go ahead with their proposal to produce one in the senior scale. The chances are (he said only slightly tongue-in-cheek) that if they do it'll probably arrive before Dapol's 08!

Hi David,  yes it's 7mm - a Majestic Models kit.

I notice that you have also mentioned the DJH/Piercy Hoppers I plan to have a few of the wooden ones (both types) in time but luckily I managed to pick up a couple of the steel hopper wagon kits at a good price - I got one rivetted and one welded. They will feature as a build at some point.

Hi David,  yes it's 7mm - a Majestic Models kit.

I notice that you have also mentioned the DJH/Piercy Hoppers I plan to have a few of the wooden ones (both types) in time but luckily I managed to pick up a couple of the steel hopper wagon kits at a good price - I got one rivetted and one welded. They will feature as a build at some point.

You've got me intrigued now Rob... is the Meteor range still current? The only reference I can find via a Google search suggests that the kits passed to Jim McGeown but he doesn't appear to list a J94 on his 'Connoisseur Models' website.

I think (hope) I'll be in a position to treat myself to a DJH/Piercy 13t wooden-bodied hopper for my birthday in a few weeks time :-)

David

You've got me intrigued now Rob... is the Meteor range still current? The only reference I can find via a Google search suggests that the kits passed to Jim McGeown but he doesn't appear to list a J94

David

If you are looking for a J94, there are 4 different manufacturers listed on the Guild's Trader listings. RPM Model Locos, Northants MRS, Agenoria and Mercian?

Dave

You've got me intrigued now Rob... is the Meteor range still current? The only reference I can find via a Google search suggests that the kits passed to Jim McGeown but he doesn't appear to list a J94 on his 'Connoisseur Models' website.

I think (hope) I'll be in a position to treat myself to a DJH/Piercy 13t wooden-bodied hopper for my birthday in a few weeks time :-)

David

Hi David,

Sorry I don't think that they are on the market at present. This one was an EBay buy that the wife promptly grabbed to put away for Christmas. Not that I am complaining as I ended up with 3 loco kits for Christmas.

This weekend I have mainly been...trying to avoid being smacked in the face by a sheet of hardboard trying its utmost return to it's natural flat state.

post-2991-0-99966500-1390157010.jpg

Basically I have been in avid pursuit of that most fashionable of backscenes, one which features curvaceous corners as opposed to right-angles. I have so far achieved... about 50% of what I intended and discovered that my woodworking skills are somewhat less accomplished than I imagined.

My excuse is that I have been frequently distracted by the need to attend to matters domestic, one's wife having rendered herself immobile – as a result of over-enthusiastic participation in something called 'zumba'! 

Don't ask, cos I'll plead the 5th amendment!

D

PS: I can also only apologise for the inclusion of an empty sachet of 'senior cat food' in the above photo. The cat however, who shares my modelling space in the spare bedroom because she refuses to live downstairs with the dog, is chuckling; secure in her belief that humans are indeed complete imbeciles placed on this earth solely for the befit of the feline species!

Where on earth did you find a sheet of hardboard that was flat. The only ones I have ever seen are anything but flat.

I like the look of it though. I think you are right to have it curved.

You can actually wet it to get the curve, but only clamp it until dry because it will shrink slightly.

My backscene structure is now complete and despite dampening the hardboard as recommended I suspect it's curved corners remain under some tension and may still be tempted to go 'twang'! Solution? Reinforcement with some MDF sheet screwed to the baseboard ends. I'm proposing to hide the joint in the middle – necessary as it needed two pieces of hardboard to achieve the wrap-around effect –  by literally papering over the crack with lining paper before painting.

post-2991-0-90735000-1390761906.jpg

The whole structure is starting to develop hernia inducing battleship tendencies and should probably be painted grey but at least it's reassuringly solid. So much more to the taste of your confirmed Luddite than the delicate frailties of the last set of baseboards no matter how technologically advanced they were ;-)

TTFN

David

Hi David

looking good... a note on your comment regarding the hardboard 'twanging' if this does become an issue perhaps you could change it for MDF. You can buy what's known as 'bendy MDF' , it's 6mm thick and has slots cut down it's reverse face so that it can be bent, rolled etc with ease, it comes with slots cut either length ways or side, naturally you would require the sideways type.

regards

Pete

Yes thumbs up for the bendy MDF I have been considering it after reading about it on Chris Nevard's blog.

See here >>> http://nevardmedia.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/brewery-progress.html

May be a bit late for you now David but your build is looking very good.  B&Q sell it at 1220 x 606 x 6mm thick for £7, Wickes, Travis Perkins plus others also stock it.

Cheers

I certainly considered 'bendy MDF' –  I first spotted its use in Chris Nevard's Model Rail article on the building of Brewhouse Quay. However.... neither local B&Q branch had any in stock when I was passing (please note that for me local means about 15 or 25 miles away respectively!).

From a budgetary (skinflint) point of view I also managed to get two sheets of 6' x 2' hardboard from a supplier just up the road for just a little more than one 4' x 2' sheet of the posh stuff!

David

I'm gonna grow old (OK even older) waiting for Dapol's 08 or DJM's J94, both of which would be ideal for the layout I'm building so it's decision time. Tower Barclay or Springside Peckett (despite the fact that they spell it Peckit!)?

Now, before anyone weighs in with all the alternatives, I want a simple, minimum-cost complete kit of an industrial steam loco (note: minimum-cost, simple and complete) that can be successfully built by a Luddite with two tubes of Araldite!

The castings of the Springside offering look just that little bit more delicate (particularly around the cab area) than the Barclay's but that might just be the photos. However I suspect the Barclay might be more at home in the North Eastern location I'm attempting to portray... thoughts anyone?

D

• RMweb Gold

David looking at the Tower Website the Barclay is about the same as the Ixion Hudswell Clarke and Springisde list the Peckett at the same price. If it were me I would rate them Hudswell, Peckett then Barclay as the other two look to be finer details. There are some comments and photos of the Barclay here;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65805-tower-models-14-barclay-0-4-0st/

Don

I was hoping for a decent inexpensive small steam loco RTR loco being available soon, The Dapol Terrier looked to fit the bill but is it going to be delayed long ? The Ixon's price wise are fine but not what I am interested in. There are a few kits that appeal but I want initially a new RTR loco. Pity as I am/was looking forward to a Terrier

Hi David, I'm also looking at building a few industrial shunters. I'm going down a slightly different road to you as I am modifying a Lima and a Triang shunter- they were both about £20.00!

Anyway, I found this website. It has loads of prototypes for inspiration.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/foxfield/locomotives.htm

Dougal.

• RMweb Premium

I was hoping for a decent inexpensive small steam loco RTR loco being available soon, The Dapol Terrier looked to fit the bill but is it going to be delayed long ? The Ixon's price wise are fine but not what I am interested in. There are a few kits that appeal but I want initially a new RTR loco. Pity as I am/was looking forward to a Terrier

I had the Kernow / Dapol Beattie Well Tank on order and that has been cancelled. I too looked at the excellent Ixion offerings but nothing really fitted my needs. Ho hum, it just forces me to learn how to build loco kits!

My backscene structure is now complete and despite dampening the hardboard as recommended I suspect it's curved corners remain under some tension and may still be tempted to go 'twang'! Solution? Reinforcement with some MDF sheet screwed to the baseboard ends. I'm proposing to hide the joint in the middle – necessary as it needed two pieces of hardboard to achieve the wrap-around effect –  by literally papering over the crack with lining paper before painting.

attachicon.gifbackscene-structure-complete.jpg

The whole structure is starting to develop hernia inducing battleship tendencies and should probably be painted grey but at least it's reassuringly solid. So much more to the taste of your confirmed Luddite than the delicate frailties of the last set of baseboards no matter how technologically advanced they were ;-)

TTFN

David

Hi David,

What Sqdrn are the Mustangs - 'The Yoxford Boys'?

Very nice work BTW, really enjoying the Thread!

Kindest,

CME

David, I had one of those Tower Barclays. Very simple construction but is very 'blocky'. Not a lot of detail. Ran very well though and was heavy enough to pull anything. If I were to choose between the two I'd choose the Peckett.

The PRMRP version of the 02 which makes into a nice model, with a litttle more finesse.

I was at their stand when a guy who had built the kit came along to the stand 'just to thank you' to them for such a great kit.

http://www.prmrp.com/diesel-kits.html

Of course one has to be happy with working in/with brass, and chassis set up, not sure if milled rods are available for it (from the likes of Premier et al.) - but it looks nice though.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

CME

The "02" is a diesel while David has specified STEAM.  But the kit is very easy and quick to build with glues if you want. It comes with pewter bonnet, cab and sole plate with a ready drilled motor mounting chassis.  They do a steam variant which should be just the sort of kit you're looking for David, it's the "04" AB http://www.tower-models.com/ as you mentioned above.  It is a very good kit,  easy to do and quite quick to build.

If it has to be a kit then for the price I don't think you can better it.

Regards

Archived