'O' gauge ? first tentative steps. Corrugated goods shed part 3: Painting and weathering

David Siddall

Of course if" you could find a IXION O Gauge Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0 Saddle Tank rrp £225 yes it's RTR but you do have to build on the nameplate and add the tools ;/

That's real luddite" easy to build or what.

Maybe we just need Chris to find a lost hoard of them ........ somewhere.

Regards

There is of course one whitemetal kit of an 0-4-0 steam loco that I've managed to overlook and that's the Springside L&Y Pug (albeit it's not an 'industrial')...

Now if my reborn plans are inspired by the trackplan and coal drops of Croft in North Yorkshire and I'm 'ideally' thinking of starting with an 0-4-0, a 'Pug' probably wouldn't be stretching credibility too far would it? Indeed the loco looks like a cross between an industrial and a national system loco, could quite legitimately be painted BR black and wear a lion and wheel totem (as such it would even match a J94 if one were to turn up at some point in the future!). And apparently the very last Pugs weren't finally withdrawn until 1964.

Food for thought though innit...

David

The Pugs were often hired out to factories etc..., and where therefore seen where least expected.

My Dad took this photo when this one was on hire to BTH Rugby.

Pug_zpsabf68f50.jpg

The Sevenscale kit was a beautiful kit and went together superbly (or mine had no problems, anyway!) - but likewise, the Ixion is a delight, and stunning value for money.

IMG_9937.jpg

There is of course one whitemetal kit of an 0-4-0 steam loco that I've managed to overlook and that's the Springside L&Y Pug (albeit it's not an 'industrial')...

Now if my reborn plans are inspired by the trackplan and coal drops of Croft in North Yorkshire and I'm 'ideally' thinking of starting with an 0-4-0, a 'Pug' probably wouldn't be stretching credibility too far would it? Indeed the loco looks like a cross between an industrial and a national system loco, could quite legitimately be painted BR black and wear a lion and wheel totem (as such it would even match the J94 if one were to turn up at some point in the future!). And apparently the very last Pugs weren't finally withdrawn until 1964.

Food for thought though innit...

David

A Pug was used (briefly) on the North Sunderland Railway in Northumberland so I don't see Croft as too much of a stretch. I'm given to understand that at least one wandered as far as Bristol too.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I have mainly doing work stuff but as we know all work and no play risks turning Jack into a tediously dull fellow...

...so I allowed myself to be distracted for just long enough to find this inspirational collection of industrial saddle tanks, mostly contemporary shots in working condition at colliery locations: www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/saddletanks.

D

The set includes a couple of slightly off-piste images (...the dog's paws?????) but hey... worth it for sight of the monster that is Yorkshire Engine Company No 2522 'Harworth No1' at NCB Silverhill Colliery :-)

With everything (hopefully) prepared for tomorrow's meeting today could finally be dedicated a bit of modelling – after, that is, a brief early morning excursion looking for the dog who'd decided to make a break for freedom and take himself off for the sort of muddy walk in the surrounding countryside small white fluffy creatures are not permitted when accompanied by humans!

Anyway... after bathing the dog... during the remaining hours of the morning when the sort of crashing and cursing usually associated with my attempts at infrastructure construction are not acceptable (i.e. that period of Sunday during which one's wife habitually enjoys a lie-in), I dug out a a couple of pots Tensocrom weathering dye and had a go at the coal-drop's brickwork which I reckon was looking a bit too stark and consistent. Tensocrom's modelling colours produce superb results even when brushed and are so thin that their 'sand' ran nicely into the mortar courses of the SE Finecast vacuum formed brickwork and their 'rust', when used as a wash over the Humbrol matt enamel I've used as a base coat, resulted, I think, in an altogether much 'brickier' finish.

Once the SWMBO was up and about and the cutting of timber products, accompanied by the occasional burst of invective was acceptable (ish), I made a start on my plans to make use of the Skytrex girder bridge sides intended for the layout's previous incarnation.

post-2991-0-25882300-1391970716.jpg

post-2991-0-93209400-1391970736.jpg

post-2991-0-76003600-1391970726.jpg

post-2991-0-02346200-1391970746.jpg

I trust you'll agree, not an altogether unacceptable outcome...?

David

A somewhat belated but eagerly anticipated birthday gift arrived today courtesy of a very soggy and disconsolate postman... this exquisitely crafted laser-cut kit for a weighbridge and brick-built hut from Lasercraft Devon. Should look just the part adjacent to my coal-drops :-)

Stay warm, stay dry ...and if all else fails now would be a good time to check you've still got a ruler that measures in cubits in the shed! Assuming, if you've had hurricane force winds like we did, your shed is still in one piece and roughly where you left it :-/

David

post-2991-0-56030800-1392406716.jpg

post-2991-0-05535500-1392406725.jpg

Just had a look at the lasercraft website - the lswr lattice starter signal and ground frame look interesting for my own project.

Well if their signals are anything like as good as this little weighbridge kit looks I reckon you'd be in for a treat. It may just feature a little brick-built hut but there must be 50-plus beautifully manufactured parts, loads of exquisite detail and a CD of photos.

D

Well if their signals are anything like as good as this little weighbridge kit looks I reckon you'd be in for a treat. It may just be a little hut but there must be 50-plus beautifully manufactured parts, loads of exquisite detail and a CD of photos.

D

Hi David,

I have been told that these (hardboard and/or MDF) models can be susceptable to temperature change (by Lazercraft et al.), yet other manufacturers have said that a quick, airbrushed, application, of household emulsion, will help seal them and keep them in good order - even when used in the garage (I miust say that their models looked fine even after storage in the garage).

I would consider these types of models - yet the temperature/moisture issue put me off a little.

Looking forward to the build.

Kind regards,

CME

Hi David,

I have been told that these (hardboard and/or MDF) models can be susceptable to tempreture change (by Lazercraft et al.), yet other manufacturers have said that a quick, airbrushed, application, of household emulsion, will help seal them and keep them in good order - even when used in the garage (I miust say that their models looked fine even after storage in the garage).

I would consider these types of models - yet the tempreture/moisture issue put me off a little.

Looking forward to the build.

Kind regards,

CME

I was thinking of giving the various sub-structures a waft over with some acrylic-based aerosol primer inside and out before final painting – mainly because said primer is conveniently available in brick(ish) red, roof(ish) grey and well... window-frame white. Hopefully that should do the trick...?

Though, despite the recent inclement weather finding its way around just about every window and through two walls (oh the joys of living in an ancient property!) this model shouldn't have to contend with too many moisture issues. Although it does get a bit chilly in the modelling room because I'm too mean to have the heating on in there when I'm not using it... ;-)

D

Hi David,

Wow that is going together well, I am very tempted with either the lasercraft or the Timber tracks buildings for my layout.  Maybe you could find an Emulsion that is a match for mortar, then you could just lightly brush a brick colour over the top of the brick walls, just a thought.

ATB,

Martyn.

Looking very good David in fact I'm tempted to get a similar kit for myself.

By the way on the Laser craft webby is a "how to paint" which gives suggested ways to protect seal the kit and paint brickwork and mortar.

Cheers

Lasercraft Devon brick-built weighbridge hut. Part 2...

Painting of the interior part complete with a primer coat of rattle-can red oxide over the brickwork on the outside. The outer window frames are only loosely in place to check for fit. (Duh... who forgot to blacken the inside of the fireplace – might be a bit late now but hopefully not too evident after the roof is on!) 

post-2991-0-69297300-1392575975.jpg

post-2991-0-13602300-1392575989.jpg

post-2991-0-95311900-1392576001.jpg

Lasercraft suggest using thinned filler to replicate the mortar joints: Looks good on their website so maybe that's what I'll try next but not until I've given the brickwork a wash of brick red to ensure it matches the brickwork of the coal-drops...

D

That really looks great David, I think I'll order a small suitable unit for myself.  Don't forget to add a suitable colour tint to your mortar mix to dirty down all the surface.

keep on posting.................... the pics.

Regards

Archived