The changing face of Bristol

One of those changes that we would rather did not happen!

Bristol City Council is apparently reconsidering the lease on the land at Ashton Court that is used by the Bristol Society of Model and Experimental Engineers for their miniature railway. 

There is a petition in support of the railway,

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc8JkUoPa42HyhQAM2ZdsP-CJKPOmKCAuQjfsyB65Rx9ISijQ/viewform

which has already raised 8,000 signatures, but more are still being collected and the subject will be debated by Bristol City Council on Tuesday 11th Sept.

Can I strongly encourage anyone in the Bristol area to sign up. I am sure that many will have visited the line while they were children themselves, or will have taken children and grandchildren over the years and it would be very sad to see it close.

Today, it was doing a roaring trade.

post-9472-0-87956000-1536508066_thumb.jpg

Best wishes

Eric  

• Like 8

One of those changes that we would rather did not happen!

Bristol City Council is apparently reconsidering the lease on the land at Ashton Court that is used by the Bristol Society of Model and Experimental Engineers for their miniature railway. 

There is a petition in support of the railway,

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc8JkUoPa42HyhQAM2ZdsP-CJKPOmKCAuQjfsyB65Rx9ISijQ/viewform

which has already raised 8,000 signatures, but more are still being collected and the subject will be debated by Bristol City Council on Tuesday 11th Sept.

Can I strongly encourage anyone in the Bristol area to sign up. I am sure that many will have visited the line while they were children themselves, or will have taken children and grandchildren over the years and it would be very sad to see it close.

Today, it was doing a roaring trade.

Best wishes

Eric  

Visited and signed petition. My kids really enjoyed taking a ride on the trains when they were smaller, and TBH daddy had fun too... :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Wonderful bit of film. Quite instructive, too, for those who believe driving standards have fallen since the '60s ;)

There is now four or five times the number of cars on the road and the number of idiot drivers has also increased proportionately.

• 3 weeks later...

Stapleton Road this weekend: level access to the Down platform has now been closed, because the place where it was is now a gap surrounded by freshly-laid sleepers and rails.  By the time level access to the Down platform is reinstated, it will be via a new span on the station footbridge.

post-3065-0-26262200-1538342638_thumb.jpg

post-3065-0-99593800-1538342768_thumb.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

And oh, how sad and austere we thought it was back then, lamenting the loss of the steam-age infrastructure!

Look at what it became when the removed two of the four tracks.

So good to see them going back in now.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The pictures generate some fond memories for me. Unusual to see the HST on the South Wales line, back then there were not many HST services between Bristol TM and South Wales. It was a Thursday so unlikely to be an engineering diversion.

Can anyone comment on what is planned for Stapleton Road station; are the old platforms to be re-instated?

• Like 1

The pictures generate some fond memories for me. Unusual to see the HST on the South Wales line, back then there were not many HST services between Bristol TM and South Wales. It was a Thursday so unlikely to be an engineering diversion.

Can anyone comment on what is planned for Stapleton Road station; are the old platforms to be re-instated?

The new Quail map which includes the four-tracking shows just two platforms at both Stapleton Rd and Lawrence Hill. Can't really see a need for four platforms to be honest as crossovers are being installed to allow things to move around and still call. (new Horfield Jnc being created)

• RMweb Gold

The new Quail map which includes the four-tracking shows just two platforms at both Stapleton Rd and Lawrence Hill. Can't really see a need for four platforms to be honest as crossovers are being installed to allow things to move around and still call. (new Horfield Jnc being created)

That would make sense, back in the 70's and 80's I cannot recall the old platforms being used. That said there are a lot more trains stopping at Bristol suburban stations now than there were then.

• RMweb Gold

When I was working and involved with the planning of this project, there was no intention to reinstate the platforms at either Stapleton Road or Lawrence Hill.

When I was working and involved with the planning of this project, there was no intention to reinstate the platforms at either Stapleton Road or Lawrence Hill.

As far as I know there still isnt, the lines on the left out of Bristol will be the slow/relief lines, the ones on the right will be the fast/main lines.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know there still isnt, the lines on the left out of Bristol will be the slow/relief lines, the ones on the right will be the fast/main lines.

Just as it used to be.

With the blockade just a week away, it will be interesting to see the progress up here. I've been away for nearly four weeks and I return with a trip to Gloucester on Monday.

• Like 2

After yesterday's trip I see that pretty much all the plain track is down, apart from where signals need to be moved. The new platform at Filton appears to just need a top surface. The main work that needs to be carried out is the junction between Dr Days and Lawrence Hill and the new junction for Filton. On top of that, there is all the signalling work to be carried out. Sorry no photo's, but was arranging assistance for a disabled passenger on my way back through.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Had a wander today and took some pictures. Track is largely completed, there are a number of ready made panels waiting to fill the gap between Lawrence Hill and Dr Day’s junction and a few areas where ballast needs fettling. It also appears that the island platform at Stapleton Road is being developed to incorporate a platform on the up side of the new main line. Dam IPhone rotates pictures!

post-24755-0-62509200-1540309407_thumb.jpeg

post-24755-0-12935800-1540309497_thumb.jpeg

The view looking up Ashley Bank from a Severn Beach train at Narroways junction

post-24755-0-29132600-1540309384_thumb.jpeg

Edited by young37215
  • Like 3

. It also appears that the island platform at Stapleton Road is being developed to incorporate a platform on the up side of the new main line.

There will not be a platform on the new line. Work there is being carried out for ramp access to the platform.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...

Filton Bank reopened on Monday as scheduled - here are a couple of low-quality phone snaps of Stapleton Road station at 9am on Monday morning.

post-3065-0-32562900-1542832789_thumb.jpg

post-3065-0-82053800-1542832808_thumb.jpg

I was interested to see an Up Main platform face has been built at Stapleton Road.

Edited by ForestPines
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I was interested to see an Up Main platform face has been built at Stapleton Road.

It's just tidying it up as the old platform was never cut back like it was at Lawrence Hill. You can see in the bottom picture that there is a pretty large gap between the train and the platform. Travelled over it today and working my first trains through there tomorrow.

• Like 1

I have not seen this thread before. Fascinating.

Hopefully not too outrageous (Mods please remove if deemed so); I’ve just written a book Transforming the Western Region - see link below. I consciously generated quite a feature on the Filton Bank Works (which only feature in the limited edition). The book also includes wider area Bristol works and wider Western Region works of the last 8 years by Network Rail.

The book features many behind the scenes colour photographs of the work, track diagrams. It’s due out in two weeks time published by Silver Link Publishing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transformation-Western-Region-Paul-Stanford/dp/1857945433

Regards Paul