Class 47 Further Liveries - When?

On the current Farish Class 47, we have so far seen the following liveries:

2 x BR Green

3 x BR Blue

1 x BR Large Logo Blue

1 x InterCity original

1 x Parcels Red

Whilst not a bad selection, it would be nice to see some further liveries to give further choice and modification possibilities. The obvious ones which spring to mind for me are as follows:

1) Further Large Logo blue example without flush fronts and un-named. This will give plenty of choice for renumbering. The current 47535 is very restrictive in terms of renumbering opportunities and somewhat unrepresentative of most prototypes in this livery

2) Railfreight Distribution original / Trainload Metals/Construction/Petroleum. This will open up the possibility to renumber or resector to any one of many examples

3) Railfreight Grey - original

4) Railfreight Grey - red stripe, smaller logo

5) ScotRail (47461 or 47/7)

It would be interesting to hear your opinions on this too.

I love the quality of both Bachmann and Farish products but I am usually left frustrated by the lack of liveries in their releases.

I can understand not putting out 1 off liveries but there always has been massive gaps in the everyday market. I dont believe GF has ever released a 37 in EWS, only the earlier EW&S. I think they done a limited addition EWS 47 but not one for the everyday market. The only class which I think has been well supported is the 66.

I dont believe GF has ever released a 37 in EWS, only the earlier EW&S. I think they done a limited addition EWS 47 but not one for the everyday market.

Hi Guys;

Farish (Poole) released 37408 Loch Rannoch as a 'silver label' issue in EWS livery, also 47744 as EWS, again as a 'silver label' release. Compared to Bachmann models, the EWS red is a lighter shade and the 47 suffered from a bowed body, I think due to the red plastic used for the injection moulding!!!

Later;

STU in KNID

There are some obvious gaps just crying out to be filled! Realistically:

• Triple grey sector
  • Intercity Swallow
  • Railfreight red stripe grey
  • Virgin

I'm sure Scotrail and Network Southeast would be quite popular (I'd probably buy both!), but given Farish's apparent general attitude to releases and liveries, we're most likely to see them as limited editions - maybe the Signal Box might be tempted to do NSE?

There are some obvious gaps just crying out to be filled! Realistically:

• Triple grey sector
  • Intercity Swallow
  • Railfreight red stripe grey
  • Virgin

Triple Grey (Distribution), INTERCITY, and Virgin would be updates on previous releases

Triple Grey could expanded to include the other sectors not covered

Also missing is InterCity Mainline (although there were eventually three versions of that)

Farish releases are pretty much limited editions, as the variations are so low (when compared to Dapol)

Only recently 66135 has been re-released with a different loco number in EWS livery

I too was disappointed that 47535 was selected, with such a large nameplate it makes renumbering and renaming quite a challenge

Reliveries are always going to take a bit of a backseat when there is so much demand for new models. There is certainly a market for more liveries on the 37 and 47, particularly triple grey, but given Bachmann's policy on liveries, it might be quicker to buy an airbrush, learn how to use it, and do the job yourself. There's also the added satisfaction of knowing you've created a unique model with your own resources, something you don't get when run a model straight out of the box.

Hi Guys,

I certinaly would be up for a few new liveries on the New 47 models

1. Virgin trains
  2. RES
  3. any of the Tinsley allocated locos ( As Tinsley was my local Depot ) :senile:

But as you all have said the New Models are Sadly Lacking more Liveries , After all there were 502 of these fantatatic Locos

and also varisions on the liveries the 47's have carried over the years.

So Bachmann it's over to You :D and see what you announce for next Year.

Andy T

Hi Guys,

I certinaly would be up for a few new liveries on the New 47 models

1. Virgin trains
  2. RES
  3. any of the Tinsley allocated locos ( As Tinsley was my local Depot ) :senile:

But as you all have said the New Models are Sadly Lacking more Liveries , After all there were 502 of these fantatatic Locos

and also varisions on the liveries the 47's have carried over the years.

So Bachmann it's over to You :D and see what you announce for next Year.

Andy T

Hi Andy (& others)

Think it was 512 of these locos.....

Liveries are fairly subjective as one person likes this and another likes that. It would really be up to what Farish/Bachmann think will sell...

For example an unnamed BR Blue 474xx might do well but 47049 with an ED dog or 47430 in IC with ScotRail on the side are a little limiting. Also Tinsley Railfreight 47s are a good shout but IC Mainline was fairly short lived (and a little boring!).

So what would I like????

Another LL Blue please...but this time with headcodes.

As for the more esoteric ones, I think a Royal Pair would really sell well but a GWR green may not (a la Kernow 60081).

A Railfreight triple grey, unnamed, no decals and self fit arrows would be an excellent base for renumbering, naming and embellishing. Names & depot plaques available from the usual sources!!

And a shot from far left.....a WCRC loco for some stock moves and railtours.

If I had the money to commission a loco;

47500 in GWR Green (note not Isambard!!!)

47665 in BR Blue with ED dog...ideal for ECML sleepers

47007 with all the SF embellishments, blue plates, black headcodes & other livery buffing.

47980 Robin Hood in its Derby RTC guise...well we do have a lot of RTC stock now!!

That's all for now..

Later;

STU in (rainy) KNID

47665 in BR Blue with ED dog...ideal for ECML sleepers

Surely sleepers would be WCML by the time this loco appeared in late 1986 (as the ECML electrification had commenced by then) and from what I can establish 1985 was the final year of Kings Cross sleepers

This loco appeared several times on the GSW and probably on the Euston sleeper a few times (when it was stil routed via Kilmarnock) at that time it still did not have its ED logos

Many of these late conversion 47/4 locos appeared on the GSW, almost in sequence

I made the mistake of noting a 47666, then revised this to 47665 as it reappeared the following day

The ED logo was applied in late 1987 but only lasted about 1 year and had been removed (painted over) by the end of 1988

Equally, the charters via the ECML (with sleepers) would typically use non-Scottish based Class 47 between Kings Cross and Edinburgh, then a pair of Class 37/4 northbound from Edinburgh

I can't recall any Class 86/87/90 being used between Kings Cross and Edinburgh, but it would have been possible

I hated working these, just keep myself in the brake van between Edinburgh and Newcastle

• RMweb Premium

Have a look at the shot of the 85 on the Bachmann stand at the Wigan show (under Bachmann)--do I spy some new N gauge loco and wagon liveries? The green 47 appears to have the later BR crest and there are 2 logos per side on the blue one (not another 'gimmick' please Bachmann).

Surely sleepers would be WCML by the time this loco appeared in late 1986 (as the ECML electrification had commenced by then) and from what I can establish 1985 was the final year of Kings Cross sleepers

The ED logo was applied in late 1987 but only lasted about 1 year and had been removed (painted over) by the end of 1988

Hi Marcus;

Knew I saw the pic somewhere...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jezgould/6017215406/

Later;

STUin KNID (still)

Have a look at the shot of the 85 on the Bachmann stand at the Wigan show (under Bachmann)--do I spy some new N gauge loco and wagon liveries? The green 47 appears to have the later BR crest and there are 2 logos per side on the blue one (not another 'gimmick' please Bachmann).

hi There;

The 47 & 37 in the pics in the Bachmann cabinet are 'OO' models...if we are looking at the same pics. You can see the tension lock coupling on the 47. I agree another 'gimmick' livery would not be welcome...although this looks like a 1966-68 attempt at BR Blue. The red stripe Thornaby 37 looks tasty though....although that would have a refurbished split box end not produced in N Gauge by Bachmann....although available elsewhere. Also the 37 tooling would need adjusting for the nose grills amongst other things.

Later;

STU in KNID (still)

Evening all

Hope everyone is well?

Sorry guys it was 512 not 502 as i stated :blush: ( Pressed the wrong number on keyboard Whoops!!)

Again as you've all said it's personal prefrence on what liveries we all like.

did like the shout about a Triple Grey 47 no number, logos .

Cheers

AndyT

• 1 year later...

I spoke to the guys on the Bachmann stand about a new ScotRail livery version and they were almost dismissive and quite offhand. Suggested that the small numbers wouldn't make it worthwhile. Come on Bachmann 47708 is too long in the tooth. We've had two RES variants since moving production to China.

Obvious ones:

RES (Carried by a large number of them over a significant period)

Railfreight triple grey with Distribution logos (Again, a large fleet over a long period)

Virgin (the final livery for the class in regular TOC service)

Other good suggestions:

NSE (And can we have the Mk1 coaches to match!)

Un-named Large Logo Blue

InterCity swallow (another quite long-lived livery)

I spoke to the guys on the Bachmann stand about a new ScotRail livery version and they were almost dismissive and quite offhand. Suggested that the small numbers wouldn't make it worthwhile. Come on Bachmann 47708 is too long in the tooth. We've had two RES variants since moving production to China.

Yes, I had a similar discussion about the time it has taken for the next release of Class 47 in other liveries

The reason given was they were waiting for existing stocks to be used up before even making a decision

So I put it to them that if all the stock suddenly ran out what would they consider and whilst they agreed another Large Logo Blue would be most likely the other would be based on existing sales levels from the OO gauge range

Personally, this all seems very low risk and playing it safe

The main issue with a Class 47 in ScotRail livery is that this would also require another run of Mark 2 and Mark 3 coaches in the same livery...

Sadly this is all very shortsighted, retailers should really be listening to what the customer is looking for

Hence as a result I have no choice now but to buy the existing models as cheap as I can and then have them repainted

If a ScotRail livery Class 47 had been proposed I would have bought ten of them...

As for modelling 47535, this was very restrictive and I suspect Bachmann did this to prevent ease of renumbering

Oddly, Lima (OO gauge) embraced this and made all four different cab end options available eventually, which was great for repainting purposes

Archived